Player Discussion: Ehlers

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Billeck failing to mention Sip incessantly hounding Perfetti and Ehlers on this board as one of the reasons that the 2nd line got going.

Hope now he can work his magic on Vilardi.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

“I’ve never, ever said I wanted to play 20 minutes,” Ehlers said. “I’m fine with 16. It’s when it gets down to 11 and 12, that pisses me off. And I said that many times. It’s not a secret. When it gets lower, that’s when it’s frustrating because I can’t get into the games. I’ve played in this league long enough and played well enough to deserve more.

I thought this line was also interesting:

“The 16 minutes are great for me. I’m not a guy that needs to play 20-22 minutes. When lines do that, you don’t get the whole team involved and you need the whole team to win games in the long run.”

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Montreal GMKH is apparently making calls, now I really don't want to trade Nik but if he has made the Jets aware that he is not re signing and walking to Free Agency then what better place to trade him to than where his big buddy is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Montreal GMKH is apparently making calls, now I really don't want to trade Nik but if he has made the Jets aware that he is not re signing and walking to Free Agency then what better place to trade him to than where his big buddy is.

My guess is that they would be looking for defense, not more forwards. They are dead last in most defensive metrics.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
My guess is that they would be looking for defense, not more forwards. They are dead last in most defensive metrics.
I think they need help at forwards too, almost last with SOG and 24th with GPG. The problem with their D is with exception of Savard and Matheson they are very young and inexperienced, plus they keep putting jack ass on the ice

Reactions: surixon

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Looks like Nik is on his way to having a career year, as he's close to averaging a point per game. Jets could trade him for a big return, or sign him if they think he's worth the price and risk, of around $ 7.5 mil per year. I'd love to see Ehlers resigned, as he's my favourite player on the Jets, and brings excitement to the game.

He's very very injury prone tho, with a light frame, and if your an owner, it take a lot of guts to sign him for 7 years, and that kind of money. Be very interesting to see what happens.

If Ehlers gets traded, I'm sure Chevy will look for a more physical, gritty type playoff performer, that could take the Jets to the next level. Be very interesting to see what happens with Ehlers with UFA coming up.

Either way, I think the Jets will come out in good shape. Chevy doesn't give anything away.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ith Ehlers and less than a season of term left, those "other parts" would include Perfetti for a true 1RHD. They just don't come up on the trade market
I know they are uncommon, but I could see Ehlers doing a sign and trade to help the Jets out.

But but but they had that GOD Kovacevik and they let him go?

Reactions: Buffdog

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Jets won't "sell high" at the deadline on Ehlers. As long as the Jets are near atop of the division and in the hunt there's no chance. No serious competitive team would.

They'll hold on to him and run him through playoffs even at the risk of him walking.

You have to shoot your shot when you're competing for the cup.

Reactions: GNP and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets won't "sell high" at the deadline on Ehlers. As long as the Jets are near atop of the division and in the hunt there's no chance. No serious competitive team would.

They'll hold on to him and run him through playoffs even at the risk of him walking.

You have to shoot your shot when you're competing for the cup.
Agreed. On top of that, The Jets hardly ever make in-season player trades prior to the TDL. Can't see them wavering from that given how the he and the second line have been performing.

Reactions: Buffdog and GNP

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed. On top of that, The Jets hardly ever make in-season player trades prior to the TDL. Can't see them wavering from that given how the he and the second line have been performing.
Thr only scenario is if there's a "hockey trade" that works out with both sides, and Ehlers is extended going the other way

Chevy has often talked about how hard those are to make and are tough to do at the deadline

The only example I can think of is the Kane/Bogo deal, but the circumstances were very, very different with the team out of contention and Kane "injured" and not contributing (while this year the team is flying and Ehlers is lighting it up)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad