Player Discussion: Ehlers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Last playoffs may have been the first time he's ever back checked. He isn't exactly the golden child of 2 way play or at 5v5 during regular season. Both players have their warts.
Why do we keep expecting Connor to become some sort of defensive God? Stanley Cup champion teams have had players like Connor throughout history - a pure offensive talent who just produces.

The guy is a machine - if we are pointing fingers he has to be one of the very last guys to critique.

I think he showed a real defensive effort last playoffs, and at the end of the day, that's all you can ask for.

The guy stays healthy and doesn't go into horrific slumps. It's not his fault our coaches to this point haven't found a way to insulate him defensively - they put him with a guy in Schiefele who can play well defensively when his give a shit meter isn't broken.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wow , you really think this? Connor was the reason finishing 4th in the NHL was so bad? When Ehlers shows up for us in the playoffs that will be nice, 4 goals in 37 playoff games is not first line players numbers.

That post was a little over the top. But breaking up that line was not a good idea.

Why should Ehlers produce 1st line player numbers? He wasn't playing 1st line minutes. What were his linemates producing in those 37 games? Just curious.

We all know that Ehlers has failed to produce in the PO but I think far too much is made of it considering the performance of the whole team and coaches.

Was that great defense or god like goaltending?
Helly made our D look better than it was.

Well ... that plus team D (most of the team). I don't think it was our stellar D corps.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no problem blaming ANYONE whose playoff production drops by 50% from their regular season production

Ehlers regular season: 0.71 points per game
Ehlers playoffs: 0.37 points per game

This whole "well, other players sucked too" doesn't absolve Ehlers. And I don't think anyone is saying that it's all on him. But he (and his fans) should own his role in it

Yes. But lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yes. But lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
I'm with you. I'd consider myself the opposite of most fans here. I enjoy the ride of the regular season and put less emphasis on playoff failures

I enjoy watching Nik 70-80 times per season and laying a few eggs in the playoffs doesn't change that. I think the same with Helle

But they definitely lay those eggs

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why do we keep expecting Connor to become some sort of defensive God? Stanley Cup champion teams have had players like Connor throughout history - a pure offensive talent who just produces.

The guy is a machine - if we are pointing fingers he has to be one of the very last guys to critique.

I think he showed a real defensive effort last playoffs, and at the end of the day, that's all you can ask for.

The guy stays healthy and doesn't go into horrific slumps. It's not his fault our coaches to this point haven't found a way to insulate him defensively - they put him with a guy in Schiefele who can play well defensively when his give a shit meter isn't broken.

Nobody expects Connor to become any kind of defensive god. Just less of a black hole would be good. Ehlers is much better defensively but he is still way short of being a defensive god. Mostly, the difference is simply that Ehlers tries a little. Credit where due, I think KC did try in this year's PO and he was better than usual. I don't think that was true in previous POs.

Yes, he stays healthy. He avoids contact. He's had slumps too, though I think he is less streaky than many offensive players.

Playing him with Scheifele is a problem. Both have played better apart.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I have no problem blaming ANYONE whose playoff production drops by 50% from their regular season production

Ehlers regular season: 0.71 points per game
Ehlers playoffs: 0.37 points per game

This whole "well, other players sucked too" doesn't absolve Ehlers. And I don't think anyone is saying that it's all on him. But he (and his fans) should own his role in it
I think his fans do, the whole sucking in the playoffs is 90% Ehlers, 90% Helle & 92% Pionk:laugh:

The other 90% is equitable ;)
Seems like Ehlers gets ripped more than most ( I know this is an Ehlers thread )

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think his fans do, the whole sucking in the playoffs is 90% Ehlers, 90% Helle & 92% Pionk:laugh:

The other 90% is equitable ;)
Seems like Ehlers gets ripped more than most ( I know this is an Ehlers thread )
Actually i would say Scheifele and Connor get ripped the most and it's not even close. All 3 players have their warts but all 3 are still very good players.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What were his linemates producing in those 37 games? Just curious.

We all know that Ehlers has failed to produce in the PO but I think far too much is made of it considering the performance of the whole team and coaches.

Well ... that plus team D (most of the team). I don't think it was our stellar D corps.
Stastny scored 15 points in 17 playoff games in 2018.
Ehlers has 14 points in his playoff career.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Stastny scored 15 points in 17 playoff games in 2018.
Ehlers has 14 points in his playoff career.
Off topic but I think not ponying up for Stastny's next contract will go down as Chevy's biggest miss. He was a perfect fit, and Chevy spent years and a ton of assets following that trying to replicate him. In the end he traded for the back end of the deal anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad