Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Not sure why it's confusing that Edvinsson got sent down. As excited as I am to see him and can't wait for the day he is with us. The reality is that he made an unacceptable amount of mistakes per game. He needs some time to adjust. Maybe he irons his game out quickly in AHL and we see him very soon. The talent is there, the positive impact he can have is there once the mistskes are minimized. Just has to dial in some things.

The very last game he certainly cut down his mistakes quite a bit. If he can continue to do that in the AHL it won't be long before he is up and never goes back. As much as I couldn't help but notice the rate of errors, I was still hoping we were keeping him. Just looking at his name on the lineup makes our defense sound much more exciting.

Berggren I really feel bad for. The kid has paid some dues. Unfortunately Yzerman signed some depth and he hasn't been better than anyone in the top 9. It would also be near impossible for him to be better than anyone in the top 9 until he actually gets some time in the NHL. He will certainly get his chances when injury hits. I'm assuming he is first callup for any top 9 injury. That could get him a lot of games and that chance to keep himself there.

If Soderblom is staying, I see how that makes sense. He's the type of player than can play on the 4th line for now. I don't see limited minutes hurting him. Any chance to get some reps in the NHL will likely be good for him. He could also find himself some PP time in front of the net on the 2nd unit.

But as mentioned by others, we won't know for sure how all this plays out until it's done.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
SHL vets not cutting it in the NHL does not magically make the AHL a better league than the SHL.

You seem to have an axe to grind about the AHL, and you are wrong. The SHL and AHL could both be in Europe or NA and the AHL would be the chosen destination for most of the prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He'll learn a lot of what most other prospects learn in the AHL, especially 19yo defensemen. He'll learn to better react to pressure in his own end, that heavier forecheck, he'll have an opportunity to clean up some of the mistakes he was making against AHL-level talent in the preseason. He may not need a whole season of that, but he'll be in competitive games where he can at least refine some decision-making.
Most other 19yo defensemen prospects came out of Juniors. Simon's issues are pace related. And none of what you listed can't be learned in the NHL with NHL coaching while being pushed at the NHL pace of play.

It's like tossing a kid from Europe with a 2yr degree back into Community College because the credits don't transfer for some bureaucratic BS reason.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
You seem to have an axe to grind about the AHL, and you are wrong. The SHL and AHL could both be in Europe or NA and the AHL would be the chosen destination for most of the prospects.
If the AHL were magically in Europe then the ECHL would be the farm league for the NHL.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Probably for now. The third pair is where you want quiet, responsible defenders to play and take 10-15 minutes of ice a night. If they kept Simon up and he did that, you would then be complaining, oh how come Simon is only playing 10-15 minutes a night. It isn't some indictment on him that he isn't quite ready. You know that Hedman took five years before he was considered elite. Defence at the NHL is hard to learn and a 19 year old not making it means next to nothing.
Yeah, and where did Hedman learn how to defend? Syracuse?

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If the AHL were magically in Europe then the ECHL would be the farm league for the NHL.

No it absolutely wouldn't. Have you seen any play from ECHL? It is worse than leagues that aren't even considered pro.

Yeah, and where did Hedman learn how to defend? Syracuse?

Hedman was much better overall when he debuted than Simon is right now. Simon is not ready for everyday primetime minutes. Ask any NHL GM, whether they would have a prospect playing minimal minutes in the NHL or lots of games and minutes in lower leagues, and they will pick the latter almost every time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

You also conveniently left out that I said SHL could be here with the AHL and the AHL would be the prime choice.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not sure why it's confusing that Edvinsson got sent down. As excited as I am to see him and can't wait for the day he is with us. The reality is that he made an unacceptable amount of mistakes per game. He needs some time to adjust. Maybe he irons his game out quickly in AHL and we see him very soon. The talent is there, the positive impact he can have is there once the mistskes are minimized. Just has to dial in some things.

The very last game he certainly cut down his mistakes quite a bit. If he can continue to do that in the AHL it won't be long before he is up and never goes back. As much as I couldn't help but notice the rate of errors, I was still hoping we were keeping him. Just looking at his name on the lineup makes our defense sound much more exciting.

Berggren I really feel bad for. The kid has paid some dues. Unfortunately Yzerman signed some depth and he hasn't been better than anyone in the top 9. It would also be near impossible for him to be better than anyone in the top 9 until he actually gets some time in the NHL. He will certainly get his chances when injury hits. I'm assuming he is first callup for any top 9 injury. That could get him a lot of games and that chance to keep himself there.

If Soderblom is staying, I see how that makes sense. He's the type of player than can play on the 4th line for now. I don't see limited minutes hurting him. Any chance to get some reps in the NHL will likely be good for him. He could also find himself some PP time in front of the net on the 2nd unit.

But as mentioned by others, we won't know for sure how all this plays out until it's done.
It's like... it is staring everyone in the face and it's just not clicking for whatever reason.

"He needs some time to adjust."

Yes. Exactly. Let him adjust. Every player needs to adjust to the NHL. Even when he gets called up he'll need to adjust to the NHL. He certainly doesn't need to adjust to the AHL.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Most other 19yo defensemen prospects came out of Juniors. Simon's issues are pace related. And none of what you listed can't be learned in the NHL with NHL coaching while being pushed at the NHL pace of play.

It's like tossing a kid from Europe with a 2yr degree back into Community College because the credits don't transfer for some bureaucratic BS reason.
I'm sorry you feel that way ;)

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Not sure what is so great about Berrgren. He was hardly noticeable at all in the 3 games I seen him in, and I was paying more attention to certain players than the game itself. I was very underwhelmed by him, especially after all the hype everyone on here was giving him. I heavily don't want Erne on our team, and he made more positive plays than Berrgren did.

Soderblom earned his chances. He was constantly doing the right things in all ends of the rink and was imo our best player in the preseason out of everyone on the roster.

I agree that Berggren didn't really do a whole lot. Soderblom made things happen every game.

However, Berggren has shown some nice abilities and to me is ready for a chance in the NHL. It's just unfortunate for him that this team has so much depth.

He will likely get an abundance of oppertunity via injury callups. We won't really know what we have in him until he gets some real stretches in the NHL.

Taking in Soderblom right now is the right choice, he can have an impact even on the 4th line, add an element to the 2nd PP.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
No it absolutely wouldn't. Have you seen any play from ECHL? It is worse than leagues that aren't even considered pro.
Bob, it's odd you don't seem to be grasping his point. It's all about geography.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Bob, it's odd you don't seem to be grasping his point. It's all about geography.

It's odd that you don't understand it isn't. If all the development leagues were in the same country the AHL would still be the primary destination for most prospects. None of the other leagues play similar games to the NHL, not even the KHL does.

Reactions: haulinbass

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
KHL produces a decent amount of players that can play in the NHL. SHL produces almost none, while many of the AHL vets can and could play and be fine in the NHL.
This is some silly mental gymnastics you're doing. There's a lot of veterans in the SHL who could easily be AHL/NHL tweeners. And sweden produces a lot more NHL talent than russia. Hopefully with the new transfer agreement less of them will the SHL too early.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
It's like... it is staring everyone in the face and it's just not clicking for whatever reason.

"He needs some time to adjust."

Yes. Exactly. Let him adjust. Every player needs to adjust to the NHL. Even when he gets called up he'll need to adjust to the NHL. He certainly doesn't need to adjust to the AHL.

NHL isn't the place for practice. This team has depth and they are approaching the season to push for a playoff spot. Edvinsson plays way to critical of a position. Edvinsson will have to take a step making adjustments in the AHL to his game before he will get a chance to make that final "adjustment" to NHL pace. Considering that seems to be the word we are hung up on. If you can't see that he has things to work on in the AHL I don't know what to tell you. The chance was on a platter for Edvinsson his spot is open for him to take, Wings brass obviously realizes he has some work to do. Edvinsson will get every oppertunity in the world to take one of those spots as soon as he irons out his game and shows a bit of consitency doing that. If Ed accomplishes that in 2 weeks or 4 months that's up to him. His talent and the impact he can bring to the team is undeniable to anyone. The spots his as soon as he makes himself ready. The reality is, what he has shown in the preseason will cost us wins more than his talent will win us games.

Just try to be realistic. This isn't a bad thing. Edvinsson didn't dissapoint anyone, if anything he shown his dynamic skillset is relevant at the NHL level. Now he just has to get settled in and focused and start dialing some things in so he isn't a turnover machine. Last game when he was on ice with Hronek, Hronek made a pass to him 2 times in one shift and Edvinsson immediately turned it over. He made Hronek look like a premiere defensive Dman that he is not. In time Edvinsson will likely be the one anchoring that pairing, but not today.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is some silly mental gymnastics you're doing. There's a lot of veterans in the SHL who could easily be AHL/NHL tweeners. And sweden produces a lot more NHL talent than russia. Hopefully with the new transfer agreement less of them will the SHL too early.

There isn't though. Even Seider's D partner his year in the AHL wouldn't be able to hold a spot in the NHL and he is considered a good SHL player. None of this changes anything in regards to the AHL is chosen as the prime spot for young kids for more than just location as a couple on here think.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Ok, so looks like the roster is set. There are 32 players still on it, but 9 of those are either injured or clearly still going to be cut.....

Injured (3) - Fabbri, Walman, and Pysyk.

Will be cut by tomorrow (6) - Hirose, Criscuolo, Smith (already waived), Barton, Biakibutuka, and Olkinuora.

That takes us to 23:

Fowards (14)
Larkin
Raymond
Bert
Copp
Perron
Vrana
Ras
Kubalik
Zadina
Suter
Sundqvist
Erne
Veleno
Soderblom

Defensemen (7)
Seider
Chiraot
Hronek
Maata
Lindstrom
Haag
Oesterle

Goalies (2)
Ned
Husso

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ok, so looks like the roster is set. There are 32 players, but 9 of those are either injured or clearly still going to be cut.....

Injured (3) - Fabbri, Walman, and Pysyk.

Will be cut by tomorrow (6) - Hirose, Criscuolo, Smith (already waived), Barton, Biakibutuka, and Olkinuora.

That takes us to 23:

Fowards (14)
Larkin
Raymond
Bert
Copp
Perron
Vrana
Ras
Kubalik
Zadina
Suter
Sundqvist
Erne
Veleno
Soderblom

Defensemen (7)
Seider
Chiarot
Hronek
Maatta
Lindstrom
Haag
Oesterle

Goalies (2)
Ned
Husso

Criscuolo, Olkinuora and Hirose have been waived already as well.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Criscuolo, Olkinuora and Hirose have been waived already as well.
Well there ya go. Barton doesn't need waivers and Biakabutuka doesn't even have a contract I don't think, though the fact that he's still around tells me either Detroit or GR will likely sign him.

Reactions: r0bert8841

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
NHL isn't the place for practice. This team has depth and they are approaching the season to push for a playoff spot. Edvinsson plays way to critical of a position. Edvinsson will have to take a step making adjustments in the AHL to his game before he will get a chance to make that final "adjustment" to NHL pace. Considering that seems to be the word we are hung up on. If you can't see that he has things to work on in the AHL I don't know what to tell you. The chance was on a platter for Edvinsson his spot is open for him to take, Wings brass obviously realizes he has some work to do. Edvinsson will get every oppertunity in the world to take one of those spots as soon as he irons out his game and shows a bit of consitency doing that. If Ed accomplishes that in 2 weeks or 4 months that's up to him. His talent and the impact he can bring to the team is undeniable to anyone. The spots his as soon as he makes himself ready. The reality is, what he has shown in the preseason will cost us wins more than his talent will win us games.

Just try to be realistic. This isn't a bad thing. Edvinsson didn't dissapoint anyone, if anything he shown his dynamic skillset is relevant at the NHL level. Now he just has to get settled in and focused and start dialing some things in so he isn't a turnover machine. Last game when he was on ice with Hronek, Hronek made a pass to him 2 times in one shift and Edvinsson immediately turned it over. He made Hronek look like a premiere defensive Dman that he is not. In time Edvinsson will likely be the one anchoring that pairing, but not today.
Why not? We aren't competing this year. Not icing the best players is pretty indicative of that.

Maatta, Edvinsson, Oesterle, and Hagg will all make mistakes playing 18-20minutes a night on the left side. All of them. Which one of them will learn from those mistakes and come out better for it deeper in the season?

What the Wings brass obviously realizes is that sending down Ed protects one of Oesterle and Hagg from waivers. Why they feel that matters is a great mystery to all.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well there ya go. Barton doesn't need waivers and Biakabutuka doesn't even have a contract I don't think, though the fact that he's still around tells me either Detroit or GR will likely sign him.

I liked Biakabatuka from what I saw, I kind of hope he gets a two way deal to play in GR for what it is worth.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad