Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just makes it pretty clear as a forward you've got to be at least the 9th best and a D 4th best to make it on an ELC. I'd argue that Edvinsson was.

Disagree.
Better or worse, the AHL and SHL are different in the style of play and Ed needs some time there. SHL players might be a bit faster overall but AHL definitely has more forechecking pressure and some high end prospects that are faster than SHL players.

The kid is 19, there's no reason to rush him. Putting a prospect too far in over their head can ruin them like it ruined Cholo.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
So do over half our other defensemen...

This is a move that both makes the Wings worse and delays Edvinsson's development. What's playing 30 minutes in the AHL going to do for Simon? Nothing but firm up those synapses that are already laid down for slow hockey.
I'll say it again... Let's compare, 18 year old Mo Seider, who improved a great deal in the AHL... 19 year old, Simon Edvinsson, his last year in the SHL was his 1st as pro and he was banged up lot and basically didn't pay a full season... what's the rush? Your disdain for the AHL is quite admirable lol

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
So assuming Edvinsson in GR, what do their D pairings look like? and special teams usage?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I agree but it really feels like Berggren wasn't given much of a chance. Soderblom got top 6 time in the preseason with NHLers but it seemed like Berggren was always 3rd or 4th line with AHL guys, save for one game with Kubalik and Veleno (from the 4th line).
I saw enough of Berggren to know he's pretty close. He got better as the games went on.
But he's still on the perimeter too much.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Better or worse, the AHL and SHL are different in the style of play and Ed needs some time there. SHL players might be a bit faster overall but AHL definitely has more forechecking pressure and some high end prospects that are faster than SHL players.

The kid is 19, there's no reason to rush him. Putting a prospect too far in over their head can ruin them like it ruined Cholo.
The argument could just as easily be that you can crush a kid's confidence if you send him down when he should rightly feel like he had earned a spot. There will be 3-4 Red Wing defensemen on the roster that aren't any better than Edvinsson is now, let alone what he'll be in a month or so as he's adjusted more to NHL speed (had he been kept up).

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
So do over half our other defensemen...

This is a move that both makes the Wings worse and delays Edvinsson's development. What's playing 30 minutes in the AHL going to do for Simon? Nothing but firm up those synapses that are already laid down for slow hockey.
Our other defensemen aren't still developing though.

Edvinsson doesn't dominate AHL-level competition at this point. He still makes mistakes against them. That's what he can work on.

This is reminiscent of previous good prospects getting sent down after preseason. I get the frustration if you think he should be in the NHL, but it's not a death sentence that guarantees he plays in GR for 82 games. He could be back up within a month. Take a deep breath for now lol.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I'll say it again... Let's compare, 18 year old Mo Seider, who improved a great deal in the AHL... 19 year old, Simon Edvinsson, his last year in the SHL was his 1st as pro and he was banged up lot and basically didn't pay a full season... what's the rush? Your disdain for the AHL is quite admirable lol
Edvinsson played 69 games last year. That's a lot for playing in europe.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So assuming Edvinsson in GR, what do their D pairings look like? and special teams usage?

Chariot-Seider
Maatta-Hronek
Hagg-Lindstrom (oesterle)

The argument could just as easily be that you can crush a kid's confidence if you send him down when he should rightly feel like he had earned a spot. There will be 3-4 Red Wing defensemen on the roster that aren't any better than Edvinsson is now, let alone what he'll be in a month or so as he's adjusted more to NHL speed (had he been kept up).
Edvinsson didn't earn a f***ing thing, bro.
One day, he's gonna be a top 4, maybe even top pairing D.
He's nowhere near that yet.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah, I think the disappointing thing is how arbitrary it feels. Very Ken Holland-esque "tie goes to the vet". Even if you win the job, it doesn't mean you actually get it. But he was significantly better than Oesterle.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, I think the disappointing thing is how arbitrary it feels. Very Ken Holland-esque "tie goes to the vet". Even if you win the job, it doesn't mean you actually get it. But he was significantly better than Oesterle.
Oesterle is likely battling Lindstrom for the 3RD job.
The loser is in the press box.
You want Edvinsson in that role? I know Yzerman doesn't.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
1 year in the AHL has NEVER ruined a prospect. Show me one example....

Meanwhile, promoting a prospect too early can. Look at Zadina, Raz, and Cholo.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And I'll say it again, why compare Simon and Mo? They are different players. Simon played a full SHL season last year (missed 5 or 6 games whatever) and half the year before mixed in with various levels of Junior hockey.

What's the benefit of sticking Edvinsson in the AHL? He's not going to learn how to defend NHLers in the AHL. He's not going to adapt to NHL speed in the AHL. Running a PP at AHL speed isn't going to prepare you for the NHL. He's not a kid coming out of junior that hasn't played against grown men.

In general you develop by pushing yourself. Ed is not going to get pushed in the AHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, he definitely did not get the same opportunity.

Based on what?

Berggren played more games than Söderblom.

Söderblom played most minutes with Suter and AHL-level Andreasson. Berggren played most with Suter and Erne, who were just great the whole pre-season. Also he had opportunity with Bertuzzi and Rasmussen, when Söderblom played with AHL-guys like Czarnik.

Berggren also had the chance to play Red vs. White game with Larkin and Raymond.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
1 year in the AHL has NEVER ruined a prospect. Show me one example....

Meanwhile, promoting a prospect too early can. Look at Zadina, Raz, and Cholo.
Johan Ryno, spent a couple weeks in the AHL and peaced out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yup, Oesterle is the warm body in the pressbox that can play equally shitty on offense or defense.

GMs never put waiver exempt prospects in the pressbox. That's how you ruin a prospect.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I also feel like Berggren didn't get the chance that Soderblom was given. Berggren just feels like the perfect linemate for Vrana eventually, the guy can pass.
Didn't Berggren get the 2nd most TOI this preseason behind only Zadina? And it's not like Soderblom was constantly being plugged into lines with our star players. Several games he was playing with scrubs.

Given the way he was deployed in the preseason, seems Lindstrom is pretty much set as #3 RD. Oesterle will more likely be battling Haag for the #3 LD spot I bet.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That had more to do with the Wings roster than GR, he knew he wasn't going to beat out the stacked roster. It's not like the 12 games ruined him.

Also, Ed isn't going to give up potential NHL salary just because he has to spend a year in GR. The salary difference between SHL and NHL is HUGE.

Reactions: r0bert8841

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Our other defensemen aren't still developing though.

Edvinsson doesn't dominate AHL-level competition at this point. He still makes mistakes against them. That's what he can work on.

This is reminiscent of previous good prospects getting sent down after preseason. I get the frustration if you think he should be in the NHL, but it's not a death sentence that guarantees he plays in GR for 82 games. He could be back up within a month. Take a deep breath for now lol.
If they aren't improving and suck against AHLers why keep them?

It's just pointless. You're not icing your best team so you can hang on to Hagg/Oesterle/whoever. Why? If someone gets hurt call up one of the 3-4 other defensemen we have that are perfectly capable of playing 10 minutes in the NHL against 4th liners. It's 'asset management' but the assets being managed would clear waivers so why are we hanging on to them?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Didn't Berggren get the 2nd most TOI this preseason behind only Zadina? And it's not like Soderblom was constantly being plugged into lines with our star players. Several games he was playing with scrubs.

Given the way he was deployed in the preseason, seems Lindstrom is pretty much set as #3 RD. Oesterle will more likely be battling Haag for the #3 LD spot I bet.

Yeah, I just hope that they don't plan that 7D system, as Seider carrying those two scrubs.

Oesterle - Seider
Chiarot - Lindström
Hägg - Seider
Määttä - Hronek

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Sucks about Edvinsson but even more suprised about Albert Johansson thought he looked good to be our 3 LHD

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Lol. I was at training camp in 2007 and watched Ryno pretty closely (there was a little Ritola vs Ryno debate back then so I keyed in on both). Ryno was never gonna make it. Lazy in every facet; drills, practice, scrimmages. His compete was about 10 notches too low, even for a big guy. The AHL did not ruin Johan Ryno in any way whatsoever. Ryno was not good enough for the AHL, simple as that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad