Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I just hope that they don't plan that 7D system, as Seider carrying those two scrubs.

Oesterle - Seider
Chiarot - Lindström
Hägg - Seider
Määttä - Hronek
I hope I never have to watch Oesterle, watching Hagg will be bad enough.

If anyone gets injured, they need to call up Ed.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Didn't Berggren get the 2nd most TOI this preseason behind only Zadina? And it's not like Soderblom was constantly being plugged into lines with our star players. Several games he was playing with scrubs.

Given the way he was deployed in the preseason, seems Lindstrom is pretty much set as #3 RD. Oesterle will more likely be battling Haag for the #3 LD spot I bet.
Yeah I don't know about TOI, but I'll take your word for it. I just remember the news about management wanting to see Soderblom in a top six role so I assumed he had more looks.

It felt like he was out there a ton, but he is hard to miss in comparison to Berggren.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I swear if they pull a bait-and-switch and send Elmer down tomorrow..

Assuming Elmer made the team, I'm pretty happy all in all.

Ed and Berggren will be up. Only way they aren't brought up relatively quickly is IF the NHL team is healthy and competitive.. which is a good thing.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
So I'm trying to sort out who was waived/send down etc. What is the status of Seth Barton? He's the only player that I have no idea what his status is.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Edvinsson didn't earn a f***ing thing, bro.
One day, he's gonna be a top 4, maybe even top pairing D.
He's nowhere near that yet.

Have you seen the Wings' blueline? If the choice is giving 18-20min a night on the 2nd pairing to Maatta, Oesterle, and Edvinsson, I'm giving them to Edvinsson. They'll all make the same number of mistakes, but one of them will learn and improve.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
If they aren't improving and suck against AHLers why keep them?
Que? Which of our defensemen, other than maybe Oesterle lol, suck against AHL talent?

It's just pointless. You're not icing your best team so you can hang on to Hagg/Oesterle/whoever. Why? If someone gets hurt call up one of the 3-4 other defensemen we have that are perfectly capable of playing 10 minutes in the NHL against 4th liners. It's 'asset management' but the assets being managed would clear waivers so why are we hanging on to them?
I think, and you won't like hearing this lol, the Wings sent Ed down because they felt that was what's best for Ed, more than it was about him not being able to outperform Haag and Oesterle.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
So I'm trying to sort out who was waived/send down etc. What is the status of Seth Barton? He's the only player that I have no idea what his status is.
There are still some AHLers on Detroit's roster, including Barton. I'm sure they'll all be reassigned tomorrow though. Barton seems destined to be one of GR's regular RDs.

Reactions: kliq

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Que? Which of our defensemen, other than maybe Oesterle lol, suck against AHL talent?

I think, and you won't like hearing this lol, the Wings sent Ed down because they felt that was what's best for Ed, more than it was about him not being able to outperform Haag and Oesterle.
Best for what exactly? Learn how to defend in the AHL? That's like learning how to bat in triple-A. Fat lot of good that does you against MLB pitching.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I agree but it really feels like Berggren wasn't given much of a chance. Soderblom got top 6 time in the preseason with NHLers but it seemed like Berggren was always 3rd or 4th line with AHL guys, save for one game with Kubalik and Veleno (from the 4th line).
Could be cap
I generally think better of Yzerman than this, so I'm hoping there's something else to this. Edvinsson can go down, whatever, but having a massive logjam everywhere like this is not great management. Especially down in GR, where these kids need icetime to develop.

So now somebody gets their career put on hold because the Wings definitely needed to sign Robert Hagg.
A logjam is fine i think, Yzerman is a genius when it comes to acquiring more capital. Maybe Berggren and Ed are being sent down so they have more time on ELC's seeing as Seider and Raymond are gonna be due for big raises.

Reactions: 14ari13

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Berggren played most with Suter and Erne, who were just great the whole pre-season. Also he had opportunity with Bertuzzi and Rasmussen, when Söderblom played with AHL-guys like Czarnik.
Agree to disagree when it comes to how great an "opportunity" some of those were. I wanted to see Berggren given a chance in Zadina's spot in some of those games, and he didn't really get it. I think those two are pretty similar in value.

In general, it feels like the Wings don't like Berggren very much, which is disappointing. He's a better player than some of the guys stapled to the NHL roster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't have that big an issue if Edvinsson is starting and even playing all year in the AHL. We are always so rushy on these things. It isn't like he can't learn things, and get used to logging big minutes on NA ice in the AHL can't help him. I know Seider did it and he sucks now, but doesn't mean it can't work for Simon. He is still raw, and while doing many great things, he also did lots that left you thinking he isn't quite ready. He also needs to be a little stronger body wise in my opinion.

My only annoyance is Oesterle made the team seemingly. I thought Kampfer (who I fully expected as AHL Lashoff type when signed) as limited as he may be, looked much better defensively than Oesterle and no worse offensively.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
The usual plug suspects are still on the team I see. Management messed up bad this off-season imo, they really needed to get rid of some players. I don’t think Berggren has anything left to prove in the AHL he needs to learn an NHL game. Guys like Erne and oesterle should not be on this team. I get it if you think edvinsson is not good enough but he makes our team a lot better and more dynamic than haag or oesterle. This tie goes to the veteran stuff should’ve been gone a long time ago.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't really agree with some of these moves. Berggren not on the team just seems like a mistake. I hope he gets the first call up and sticks it out.

Red Wings trim roster by 15

Not sure what is so great about Berrgren. He was hardly noticeable at all in the 3 games I seen him in, and I was paying more attention to certain players than the game itself. I was very underwhelmed by him, especially after all the hype everyone on here was giving him. I heavily don't want Erne on our team, and he made more positive plays than Berrgren did.

I agree but it really feels like Berggren wasn't given much of a chance. Soderblom got top 6 time in the preseason with NHLers but it seemed like Berggren was always 3rd or 4th line with AHL guys, save for one game with Kubalik and Veleno (from the 4th line).

Soderblom earned his chances. He was constantly doing the right things in all ends of the rink and was imo our best player in the preseason out of everyone on the roster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just makes it pretty clear as a forward you've got to be at least the 9th best and a D 4th best to make it on an ELC. I'd argue that Edvinsson was.

Disagree.

The AHL is not only better, it is much better than the SHL. There is a reason it is the #1 league for the NHL to have farm teams on.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, I think the disappointing thing is how arbitrary it feels. Very Ken Holland-esque "tie goes to the vet". Even if you win the job, it doesn't mean you actually get it. But he was significantly better than Oesterle.

You realize that Oesterle is likely sitting in the press box most nights right? Do you want Simon sitting in the press box instead of getting lots of ice time?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, cause it's in the same hemisphere.

And it is better. SHL is big ice with less physicality and in tight plays and is nowhere near the same game as the AHL/NHL. There is a reason not very many Swedes from the SHL come over as vets and make the NHL team and do really well. The SHL is well below the NHL and is below the AHL.

Reactions: r0bert8841

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Best for what exactly? Learn how to defend in the AHL? That's like learning how to bat in triple-A. Fat lot of good that does you against MLB pitching.
He'll learn a lot of what most other prospects learn in the AHL, especially 19yo defensemen. He'll learn to better react to pressure in his own end, that heavier forecheck, he'll have an opportunity to clean up some of the mistakes he was making against AHL-level talent in the preseason. He may not need a whole season of that, but he'll be in competitive games where he can at least refine some decision-making.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And it is better. SHL is big ice with less physicality and in tight plays and is nowhere near the same game as the AHL/NHL. There is a reason not very many Swedes from the SHL come over as vets and make the NHL team and do really well. The SHL is well below the NHL and is below the AHL.
SHL vets not cutting it in the NHL does not magically make the AHL a better league than the SHL.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Who's going to play 3rd pairing LD? Hagg?

Probably for now. The third pair is where you want quiet, responsible defenders to play and take 10-15 minutes of ice a night. If they kept Simon up and he did that, you would then be complaining, oh how come Simon is only playing 10-15 minutes a night. It isn't some indictment on him that he isn't quite ready. You know that Hedman took five years before he was considered elite. Defence at the NHL is hard to learn and a 19 year old not making it means next to nothing.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
1) Edvinsson will likely be up soon enough, but he looked like he was struggling both with the pace of the game and frankly the smaller ice size. I'd much rather he find his feet a few weeks in GR than have him battling to by 3rd LD just getting used to NA.
2) Johansson looked more ready, but again, a few weeks in GR doesn't hurt.
3) We should probably at least give our UFA LD signings a few games before we waive them in favour of kids with zero NA experience. (Oesterle is just a warm body in case someone gets hurt on game day).
4) Berggren might feel disappointed to miss out, but looking at the roster that was always likely at the start of the season. Still needs to work on getting to the middle more, and no harm doing that in GR rather than trying to justify him being on the 4th line - because he's not going to beat out Bert, Vrana, Perron, Kubalik, Raymond or a reinvigorated Zadina.
5) Elmer is a surprise for reasons cited for Berggren, but I guess he makes more sense in that he can play on both a scoring line and more grinding line just because of size, reach and goal threat without good linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad