Confirmed with Link: Edmundson to Toronto

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This is about as underwhelming as it gets.

My first thought after hearing Treliving traded for Edmundson wasn't "awesome, the Leafs are gonna win the cup". It was "moron, he did it again". I knew Treliving was gonna do something stupid.

I just didn't know how stupid until he did it.

A brain dead pigeon could do a better job. At least the pigeon wouldn't keep wasting picks on bottom of the roster scrubs. Cause Edmondson and Lyubushkin are sooooo much better than Erik Karlsson.

At this point I can only hope Treliving somehow manages to do the right thing despite himself.

His incompetence has been proven already. Other than being a shameless sycophant I can't think of any reason Shanahan should want to keep him around. Sadly I think the possibility of Edmundson being re-signed is greater than that of Treliving being fired.

It really doesn't get anymore disappointing than this.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Why though? He’s a past prime LHD who wasn’t even that good in his prime. Is he better than Benoit or Gio? If so, not by much. Don’t get the point of this move.

A 3rd and a 5th isn’t much, but sometimes these later picks hit. Recent-ish 3rd+ picks that have hit for the Leafs include Woll, Verhaeghe, Connor Brown, Holmberg, Engvall and Johnsson - Niemela and Hildeby TBD. This just seems wasteful, feels like we’re throwing away picks for a guy who doesn’t move the needle at all.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bourne had a good stat on Brodie, past two years top 30 in puck retrievals, this year bottom 20 in the league. So what else does he do if not that?

Reactions: Nineteen67

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Unless there's something else coming that involves Timmy, I don't think I understand this trade.

Not fussed either way about Edmundson, I just don't get the play here.
It feels like a precursor to a bigger move...either that or Im just projecting/hoping ;)

Whats the point of this trade really?

Doesn't address Top4 D-man problem; and realistically we can't fix that until Tavares is off the cap (and then we will have a 2/3 C hole) or Liljegren develops to take that

I mean Leafs aren't going to compete in post season. I am as big a Leafs homer as the next guy but we gotta see more out of Matthews, Marner and Nylander in the post season before we keep throwing away assets at the TDL. I haven't seen three amigos take their game to the next level in playoffs. On the contrary they get shut down quite often.

Its like doing shit for the sake of doing shit
I don't think its over yet.....it will all make sense soon...Im pretty sure...maybe

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is about as underwhelming as it gets.

My first thought after hearing Treliving traded for Edmundson wasn't "awesome, the Leafs are gonna win the cup". It was "moron, he did it again". I knew Treliving was gonna do something stupid.

I just didn't know how stupid until he did it.

A brain dead pigeon could do a better job. At least the pigeon wouldn't keep wasting picks on bottom of the roster scrubs. Cause Edmondson and Lyubushkin are sooooo much better than Erik Karlsson.

At this point I can only hope Treliving somehow manages to do the right thing despite himself.

His incompetence has been proven already. Other than being a shameless sycophant I can't think of any reason Shanahan should want to keep him around. Sadly I think the possibility of Edmundson being re-signed is greater than that of Treliving being fired.

It really doesn't get anymore disappointing than this.
Omg relax dude.

That is a sentiment I’ve shared. It’s definitely been a problem
Was interesting to hear a player say that, and sure he isn’t wrong.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wayne Train was on TSN and he said he felt the Leafs weakness in the playoffs was their inability to clear the front of the net.

How about putting the puck in opposition net ;)

We didn't score enough against the Panthers IMO given that we pay PREIUM dollars for forwards to score

1709852127943.png

Reactions: stickty111

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No but he will cross-check people and potentially break ribs. Also he's big and can clear the crease. He's a mean, dirty and big bodied defence-man who will protect the front of the net and try and injure the other teams star players if they get near the goalie. If we run into Florida in the playoffs again, I am expecting him to absolutely lay Bennett the f*** out. He's being brought in to play a mean physical game.
I think I got a chubby

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Makes me so happy for Pasta and Marchand... guys we got you an early xmas gift...

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
He is the biggest dman on the team right now. Crease clearing specialties. PK. Physical. I don't know if his game has 'fallen off' but he was excellent for Montreal in playoffs vs us I remember him well.
How many years ago was that? From what people are saying is he's not that good anymore. My take is most of you don't watch other teams play ever.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Rielly - Boosh
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren

Brodie W/retention for 2nd
Or
Brodie W/Retention + Robertson to Dal for 1st

Not great, but at least a pain to play against

Reactions: TMLAM34

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why though? He’s a past prime LHD who wasn’t even that good in his prime. Is he better than Benoit or Gio? If so, not by much. Don’t get the point of this move.

A 3rd and a 5th isn’t much, but sometimes these later picks hit. Recent-ish 3rd+ picks that have hit for the Leafs include Woll, Verhaeghe, Connor Brown, Holmberg, Engvall and Johnsson - Niemela and Hildeby TBD. This just seems wasteful, feels like we’re throwing away picks for a guy who doesn’t move the needle at all.

While you’re not wrong, the reality is 3rd+ rounders are long term projects if they make it at all, which the overwhelming majority don’t. Only something like 1/10 3rd picks become NHLers, and the results get worse from there later rounds go.

While these players listed eventually got to the NHL, on average it took 5+ years for them to get there and it’s debatable how effective they even were in some cases when they made it initially. It might be 7-8 years before you have a truly effective player.

Even if we hit on one of these players in just a few months, in June, they won’t be of any help to our current core players while they try to win in their prime.

Engvall: drafted 2014 -> NHL 2019/20
Brown: drafted 2012 -> NHL 2015/16
Holmberg: drafted 2018 -> NHL 2022/23
Johnsson: drafted 2013 -> NHL 2017/18
Woll: drafted 2016 -> NHL 2022/23
Verhaeghe: drafted 2013 -> NHL 2019/20

Eventually all the traded picks will catch up with us, and hard, as they do with all teams that sustain a long period of trying to win, and we’re going to be very bad, but that’s the price you pay. Let’s just hope we have the success we’re looking for before we get there.

People should be prepared to watch the draft capital continue to be dealt for the next 4 years minimum. Not saying keep nothing, but the dealing of picks isn’t going to stop. Best we can hope for is they are used wisely.

Reactions: aingefan

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

he made a good job on both time he reached stanley cup final.

Edmundson is like hainsey. put him with average or trash d and they will look average to trash too... put those guy with a quality partner and he will give good some pretty good hockey.

if he stay healthy, can he be leafs new Ron Hainsey? the answer is yes

hes physical, hes strong, hes able to clear everyone to the front of the net even if hes a 6'6 guy and help samsonov and woll to see the puck, making life hard to people who want to crush the net. thats where playoff game are win or lost ... when it was an huge issues in the past on playoff.. so yes Edmundson upgrading leafs in a part of the game leafs needed

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bourne had a good stat on Brodie, past two years top 30 in puck retrievals, this year bottom 20 in the league. So what else does he do if not that?
Doesn’t help that he’s become allergic to physical contact, no D man can thrive with that affliction………

Reactions: ToneDog and bax

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Rielly - Boosh
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren

Brodie W/retention for 2nd
Or
Brodie W/Retention + Robertson to Dal for 1st

Not great, but at least a pain to play against
That’s how I’d like to see the pairings. Use Brodie in a deal to get a depth forward.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Doesn’t help that he’s become allergic to physical contact, no D man can thrive with that affliction………
100 hundred per cent agree with this assessment! Brodie hears footsteps ALOT when he has the puck. Blind passes to the net front...firing it backwards without a look. RInging it up the boards without looking...all because someone's about to get up in his grill. It's hard to watch for a guy who used to be such a solid defender. The best at breaking up 2 on 1's. Now? Time to go, man...

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2