Edmonton Oilers defeat the Dallas Stars, 4-2, advance to SCF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Did NOT expect this at all. I thought Dallas would cruise to the finals. Mostly happy that Duchene has no shot at the cup once again, but seeing McDrai in the finals.. I think they’ll hit another gear.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Cheering for the Oilers. GO 97 and all his chummy teamates.

I still hate Florida!

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That Flames series for Oettinger feels like ancient history. Great goalie but he seemed to fade a bit...
I think Oettinger played above average in the playoffs for the most part- his stats at even strength support that.

On the PK- he needed to stop more pucks. 12 goals on 40 shots can make it hard to win close games. Easier said than done when you come up against two of the deadliest PPs in the league in the Oilers and Avs. Hot goalies find a way to make a couple extra saves along the way. Dallas' PP didn't do him any favours either and the Oilers did a great job of shutting them the f*** down.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Didn't see that coming at all. Sorry Stars.. you had an unbelievably brutal schedule and a tremendous team. Those last 2 days of the regular season really did you no favors in terms scheduling and opponents.

Still in shock. A poster pointed out that each round had a Flame's ghost (Rittich, Zadorov, Tanev) and now we have the final boss ... Matthew T! Going to be an amazing final and curious if we can get the cup back to Canada.

Reactions: BlueOil

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
1000000243.jpg

As a Stars fan I'd be deeply embarrassed losing to a team that gives regular ice time to Skinner, Ceci and Nurse.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
View attachment 879053

As a Stars fan I'd be deeply embarrassed losing to a team that gives regular ice time to Skinner, Ceci and Nurse.

Dallas found a way to make them all look competent......after Game 3 I really thought they had the Oilers figured out, even early into Game 4 after jumping out to that quick two goal lead.......which ended up being the last lead they'd have all series.

Outscored 10-2 afterwards, I think. :help:

Embarrassing the way they just gift-wrapped the series for the Oilers.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
That Flames series for Oettinger feels like ancient history. Great goalie but he seemed to fade a bit...
"Great" is not the term I'd use for him. He is good to very good, but wildly inconsistent and he can't seem to win that 1st game in the playoffs to give his team some much needed boost. He looks more like the 2nd coming of Marty Turco (who famously couldn't win a game 1 until his very last playoffs appearance in 2008), than Eddie Belfour.

I don't think the Stars ever win a cup with him as their goalie, and the sooner their management figures it out, the better it is for them.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
80% of hockey analysts say….
I found it REALLY interesting that after Round 2 there was this analyst/pundit narrative about
  • how deep Dallas is/was
  • Edmonton "just" has PP &/or a couple superstars
  • Dallas heavily favored
Despite that Edmonton was picked as a contender pre-season and pre-Round-1, was playing great since November, and clearly had a great PP, PK, and Top End scoring.

The betting odds were pretty close, yet this analyst/pundit narrative was so strong that a lot of casuals were calling people crazy for favoring Edmonton in this series.

Shout out to Dallas fans. Of course as a fan you're biased. Great future in Dallas.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh? Gave away John Marino for almost nothing. Got Mike Green who, uh, played 2 games. Gave up premium price for Athanasiou who did, uh... ? 2 points I guess. Traded for Kulikov for... 2 points, I guess. Traded for Duncan Keith? Whoa...

For Kulak gave the pick with which Habs picked Lane Hutson, who's looking pretty good... Traded for Brassard who... ? The trade for Ekholm was good, true.

Traded first, conditional 4th, conditional 4th for Carrick and Henrique. Traded fourth for Stecher. Then the Nurse signing...

Dunno, I only see one obviously good move with the Ekholm trade. A couple others might be lateral, and the rest are losses to me.
Uh, the Kulak trade was a good one, he's always stepped it up in the playoffs. Did you forget about Hyman? What about the reshaped bottom 6 that was a big contributor in the series? The RNH contract etc.
Would do the Henrique and Carrick trade again. the 31st or 32nd pick is well worth it for those two, who might stick around after this season.

I'm certainly no big fan of Holland and there's been plenty of bad to go with the good but you can't deny the results. It's not like they were carried by McDrai either, there were lots of contributions up and down the lineup.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Edmonton did what Vegas did last year did to get where they are, collapse on their average goalie with half a ton of strapping lad and let their generational offense just do its thing a couple times. Dallas couldn't get interior and couldn't stop Edmonton from getting interior. Fatigue, coaching, roster decisions, probably some combination thereof couldn't beat Edmonton consistently.

It's hard to beat when you're not built to grind out games against teams that are optimized to grind out games.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Crazy that when fully healthy the Canucks are the best team in the West by a country mile, didn’t know they were that good. Oilers and Stars were extremely lucky to not have played a healthy Canucks Team.
This is a wild take, considering that goaltending was the last thing that cost the Canucks the second round series.

Oilers dominated them for multiple stretches throughout the entire series. When Vancouver had all the momentum after the Game 5 win, they got thumped in Game 6.

The better team won that series.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Canucks were better than Dallas. Fairly obvious. Canucks got further with a first year AHL goaltender
why do the Canucks keep coming up in this thread? they lost 2 weeks ago. And the Canucks were not better than Dallas, Dallas woulda stole the Canucks lunch money. Canucks talking about "what if Demko were available, blah, blah, blah." Well what if the entire Oilers roster wasn't dealing with a massive flu going through the locker room during that series? The Oilers STILL beat up the Canucks while the entire team was sick, a healthy Oilers team beats the Canucks in 4 or 5.

So I called the Oilers in 6 on the pre-series poll, but that could've easily been a 7 game series. Nice to see the Oilers on the winning end of a goalie stealing a game for once.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Canucks were better than Dallas. Fairly obvious. Canucks got further with a first year AHL goaltender
That's not how hockey works. The Canucks matchup well against the oilers, just like LA matches up well against the Canucks and likely would have beat them in a series.

Canucks would have been swept by Dallas even if healthy. The delusion from nuck fans on here is great though keep it up.

Reactions: Kerberos

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Dallas threw the kitchen sink at 'em but just couldn't find a way to score enough goals.
Good series.

Power play was the difference.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
This is a wild take, considering that goaltending was the last thing that cost the Canucks the second round series.

Oilers dominated them for multiple stretches throughout the entire series. When Vancouver had all the momentum after the Game 5 win, they got thumped in Game 6.

The better team won that series.

Canucks were basically limping at that point. Congratulations to the Oilers on barely getting past a third string goalie playing on a team without its top winger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad