Edmonton Oilers defeat the Dallas Stars, 4-2, advance to SCF

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Growing up in the 90s/early 00s felt like Dallas was always bouncing Edmonton out of the playoffs. Feels good to have the tables turned!

I'm sure it does.

Goes to show what a difference a reliable and confident goalie can make.

Don't think Eddie would've allowed two on ten, especially under the same conditions as last night.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Multiple injuries, Canucks were basically limping at that point. Boeser (playing with a broken finger) had to miss game 7 with a blood clot (which is now fine). Players playing through all the reported injuries and with their 3rd string goalie and still almost beating the Oilers in a tight 7 game series. The better team definitely didn’t win that series. If Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko were fully healthy Canucks likely take it in 5 or 6.
Hughes said he wasn’t injured…. just didn’t make an impact. Regular season defenseman. Broberg has more playoff goals

Canucks fans will be making excuses about that series for years I guess.

What’s the excuse for most of the team failing to show up for the last two games?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
90% of the league said loudly that Dallas will run over whoever won the Oilers Van series. So some crow has to be served here. Not only did the Oilers beat Dallas but they beat Dallas in less games than they beat Vancouver.
yup, because Skinner was really good

if Skinner played like that against the Nucks, Oilers don't blow Game 1 and win in 5 games IMO....oh well, we still found a way

Reactions: Frosty415

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
This was a great series. Well fought by the Stars. Oilers were lucky to win game 6, Skinner stood on his head and McDavid scored one of the nicest goals of his career. On to the final.
I think the Stars were not good enough to tie this series let alone a 2-0 game and not scoring on the PP

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Multiple injuries, Canucks were basically limping at that point. Boeser (playing with a broken finger) had to miss game 7 with a blood clot (which is now fine). Players playing through all the reported injuries and with their 3rd string goalie and still almost beating the Oilers in a tight 7 game series. The better team definitely didn’t win that series. If Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko were fully healthy Canucks likely take it in 5 or 6.
At least you guys can raise a banner next year for sweeping the oilers in the regular season and winning the pacific. Remember to let us all know what game that is so we can tune into the ceremony.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
thanks for sharing your dream journal, what a fantasy

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas only dominated because Edmonton spent 2 periods playing like they were killing a penalty
The Oilers actually play the penalty kill way better than whatever they were doing for those two periods last night!

This is so embarrassing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That last game was tilted but imo game 3 was worse. We allowed a lot of shots in game 6 but game 3 had the worse breakdowns and easy opportunities for Dallas. Game 6 had the Oilers stick to the zone defense. It held up good enough to allow Skinner to see the puck well and not have to move too fast laterally. Still, a great game by him and full credit to the Stars for not giving the Oilers much to work with

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Congrats, Oilers.

IF anybody had said to me after the first 6 minutes of game 4 that the series would be over in 6, I would have had my doubts. The Oilers looked like they had checked out.

If anybody had told me at that same point that they would hold Dallas to two goals over the next two games and 54 minutes, I would have laughed at them.

If anybody had told me at that point that they would basically suffocate the Stars in Dallas in game 5, I would have wondered what they were smoking.

Onto the finals, with the northernmost team against the southernmost team. Good luck, Oiler fans.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers and Dallas fans are too busy with their hands in each other's pants to point it out
Yes, Oiler and Dallas fans are too busy congratulating each other on a good series to spend time living in the past. It's weird how the world moves foward and onto bigger and better things, eh?

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Dallas will have one of the more interesting off-seasons in the league as their window is still wide open and more young talent looks primed to join them next season. Their priority should be addressing the defense; they most played 5 d-men throughout the playoffs, with one of them being Suter and another being an injured Tanev. Tanev looks like a great fit in Dallas and if I were Nill I'd try and return him, while buying out Suter who is clearly rinsed and isn't top-6 calibre on a Cup contender.

Going into this season I thought their defense was their most significant weakness and could end up preventing them from winning the Cup. Not sure if that turned out exactly as I had predicted, but I don't think I was too far off as key players like Heiskanen looked gassed towards the end of last night's game from playing too much.

Lots has been said about Johnston (positive) and Pavelski (negative), but I thought Benn had a really outstanding playoff run leading the charge physically, doing what he could to set the tone, and using his size and strength to win puck battles all over the ice and create opportunities for his linemates. I liked him with Johnston and Stankoven. Seguin was good too, I thought. Hintz didn't look 100% and Robertson wasn't as productive as a result. Duchene and Marchment were a good 3rd line (if cap space permits, Nill should return Duchene). DeBoer seemed hesitant to demote Pavelski early in the series, and I think that cost Dallas. He simply wasn't good. As a neutral observer I had to laugh when I saw him out on the PP in lieu of Johnston.

Overall, Dallas can more or less run it back with the core group, address some gaps on defense, and be a Cup contender again next year I think. Solid organization and a pretty fun team to watch.

Reactions: stewy04

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats, Oilers.

IF anybody had said to me after the first 6 minutes of game 4 that the series would be over in 6, I would have had my doubts. The Oilers looked like they had checked out.

If anybody had told me at that same point that they would hold Dallas to two goals over the next two games and 54 minutes, I would have laughed at them.

If anybody had told me at that point that they would basically suffocate the Stars in Dallas in game 5, I would have wondered what they were smoking.

Onto the finals, with the northernmost team against the southernmost team. Good luck, Oiler fans.
I thought Dallas would win but they looked tired by the end of it. Maybe that isn't the case but they looked out of gas.

I'm guessing it was their first 2 rounds.

Reactions: Sgt Schultz

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Dallas will have one of the more interesting off-seasons in the league as their window is still wide open and more young talent looks primed to join them next season. Their priority should be addressing the defense; they most played 5 d-men throughout the playoffs, with one of them being Suter and another being an injured Tanev. Tanev looks like a great fit in Dallas and if I were Nill I'd try and return him, while buying out Suter who is clearly rinsed and isn't top-6 calibre on a Cup contender.

Going into this season I thought their defense was their most significant weakness and could end up preventing them from winning the Cup. Not sure if that turned out exactly as I had predicted, but I don't think I was too far off as key players like Heiskanen looked gassed towards the end of last night's game from playing too much.

Lots has been said about Johnston (positive) and Pavelski (negative), but I thought Benn had a really outstanding playoff run leading the charge physically, doing what he could to set the tone, and using his size and strength to win puck battles all over the ice and create opportunities for his linemates. I liked him with Johnston and Stankoven. Seguin was good too, I thought. Hintz didn't look 100% and Robertson wasn't as productive as a result. Duchene and Marchment were a good 3rd line (if cap space permits, Nill should return Duchene). DeBoer seemed hesitant to demote Pavelski early in the series, and I think that cost Dallas. He simply wasn't good. As a neutral observer I had to laugh when I saw him out on the PP in lieu of Johnston.

Overall, Dallas can more or less run it back with the core group, address some gaps on defense, and be a Cup contender again next year I think. Solid organization and a pretty fun team to watch.
Some great young players and. Beauty core. They should be in contention for 2 more seasons easy. Maybe more. I was surprised, when tanev, was hurt... That they didn't really have a great fill in option. Bischel may be ready next season though.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Oh? Gave away John Marino for almost nothing. Got Mike Green who, uh, played 2 games. Gave up premium price for Athanasiou who did, uh... ? 2 points I guess. Traded for Kulikov for... 2 points, I guess. Traded for Duncan Keith? Whoa...

For Kulak gave the pick with which Habs picked Lane Hutson, who's looking pretty good... Traded for Brassard who... ? The trade for Ekholm was good, true.

Traded first, conditional 4th, conditional 4th for Carrick and Henrique. Traded fourth for Stecher. Then the Nurse signing...

Dunno, I only see one obviously good move with the Ekholm trade. A couple others might be lateral, and the rest are losses to me.
Took ya long enought to get to the •Ekholm move. Oilers are out long ago with the epic Ekholm acquisition by Holland.
•Hyman. Leading the play offs in scoring.
•Kane - Finally some depth and jam that can play up and down the line up. •Henrique a great depth move for a team looking to go on a cup run.
•Skinner Holland believed in him when no one else did. Oilers are playing game 7 in Dallas tomorrow night if not for Skinners stealing game 6.
•Knoblock. Holland pulls trigger on Woodcock and brings in this great coach.
•Coffee . Hired by Holland. Quiet yet effective move. Bouchards game gone to another level and the D looks better all around.
Haaa!! They would already be building the statue of Holland if he pulled this off in Toronto or Winnipeg.
Kudos to Kenny !!

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn't help either when your goalie can't win a game 1 ever and gets outplayed by the Skinners of the world in a pivotal do-or-die game.
I mean nobody is stopping that McDavid goal and I'm not sure the Stars had a single uncontested slot shot of the same quality that Hyman scored on. Things look bad because of his save percentage but Otter had a pretty good series overall and played very well the first 3 games of the series. Eventually elite offences break through on elite goalies and I've been saying that all playoffs.

Heiskanen is a hell of a defenceman, but McDavid absolutely embarrassed him on his goal tonight and showed everyone why he's the best in the world. Truth of the matter is the Oilers have more elite offensive players and overall they played better team defence than Dallas in this series.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
If the Oilers play the way they did in the last two games of the Stars and Canucks series they will have a good shot at winning barring Bobrovsky standing on his head and stealing the series.

Aggressive defensive play, a focused and hungry yet not careless team buoyed by a supreme generational offensive talent. It’s no longer the case of the team simply being the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad