Proposal: Edmonton - Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Stop attaching a first to move Costco's remaining four months! If you want cap space without giving up premium assets, move Barrie, some teams with sounder defense would value a puck mover like him. Then, use lesser assets to get a middle pairing D-man who is more attuned to a shut down role.
Costco could be a viable backup for the rest of the year, if old man Mike can regain an approximation of his form.
But this team is more than a middle six winger away from contending, so let's not go throwing away assets in a vain hope that it will be able to cement the numerous holes in the lineup. If there is someone on the coaching staff, who has some creative ideas for offensive plays or structure, please utilize them, obviously Tippet is running on empty.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As we all know Edmonton needs a fix. They have arguable the worst bottom 6 in the league and team D is a problem. Montreal has a team full of bottom 6 players and are a good trading-partner.

Edmonton get:

- Artturi Lehkonen 2,6M RFA 2022
- Joel Armia 3,4M UFA 2025

Montreal get:

- Kailer Yamamoto 1,175M RFA 2022
- Kyle Turris 1,65M UFA 2022
- Mikko Koskinen 4,5M UFA 2022
- 1st 2022

Edmonton get 2 reliable 3rd liners who are sound defensively. Montreal gets a 1st and Yamamoto to take the trash.

That’s horrible for Edmonton.

change Armia (who has no value) to Toffoli and ask Edmonton if they’d do it. I’m certain Gordon would pull the trigger on that.

Toffoli + Lehkonen for that package. Then change Lehkonen for Allen and ask again.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If you don’t think Armia’s contract is awful then consider people call Barclays Goodrow overpaid at 3.6 million while he has exponentially better production.

A year ago Armias contract was considered good. Armia was also well liked in Winnipeg. A year of worse production doesnt make the player bad. On HF its like only the last 2 weeks matter. The guy is 28.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
A year ago Armias contract was considered good. Armia was also well liked in Winnipeg. A year of worse production doesnt make the player bad. On HF its like only the last 2 weeks matter. The guy is 28.

He’s not playing up to his contract and he carries term. I really don’t see any team viewing that contract as a positive asset as we sit here today. At some point, “it’s not his fault, our team is playing like garbage.” ... isn’t enough of a selling point - especially with a flat cap.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
As we all know Edmonton needs a fix. They have arguable the worst bottom 6 in the league and team D is a problem. Montreal has a team full of bottom 6 players and are a good trading-partner.

Edmonton get:

Montreal get:

- 1st 2022

Edmonton get 2 reliable 3rd liners who are sound defensively. Montreal gets a 1st and Yamamoto to take the trash.

Ha i'd take yamamoto in montreal just so i can make the pun on "Yamamoto Suzuki" (he has my suzuki motorcycle)

Gaud

May 11, 2017

change Armia (who has no value) to Toffoli and ask Edmonton if they’d do it. I’m certain Gordon would pull the trigger on that.

Toffoli + Lehkonen for that package. Then change Lehkonen for Allen and ask again.

Hm. I would think that Toffoli would be worth a 1st and prospect, especially if 2 capdumps are also coming in

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you don’t think Armia’s contract is awful then consider people call Barclays Goodrow overpaid at 3.6 million while he has exponentially better production.

It's not awful but if he continues to play like he has this year and not previous years, it will be awful. However, not sure the Oilers trade futures like that for bottom 6 improvements.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Gorton is not just going to play nice and give you Toffoli while taking camp dumps where it don't increase Toffoli's value. I agree that original trade idea don't work for the Oilers but there is a deal to be made between the Oilers and Habs. I think you are undervaluing Toffoli to some degree. See below

Toffoli as a Pending UFA rental:
* 2nd Rounder
* A NCAA player well above pt/game (at the time of the trade)

Toffoli on a team friendly AAV for this playoff run and two more seasons?
* Two pieces worth more than what the Canucks paid to get him for just one playoff run.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And you are overlooking Armia as a cap dump in this deal

Personally, I don't believe Armia is a cap dump. Having an off year in this mess of a Habs season. He's a top 9 asset in his prime at age 38 and signed for $3.4M. If he was having an off year and was age 34, it might be a different story in the "decline" narrative.

I don't like that offer to the Oilers and you don't like it either.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Personally, I don't believe Armia is a cap dump. Having an off year in this mess of a Habs season. He's a top 9 asset in his prime at age 38 and signed for $3.4M. If he was having an off year and was age 34, it might be a different story in the "decline" narrative.

In what world has Joel Armia ever been more than a bottom 6 player?

He had one shortened season of 30pts in 58 games 4 years ago. All other seasons he has 15-25ish points in a full season.

I don't even think I need to address the narrative of a player being 38 and "in their prime"...

Reactions: Barnaby

Ledge And Dairy

I'm not even talking about this year though, he's a 25-30 point player and at 5v5 he's not strong defensively or offensively. So basically he's only effective on the PK. What winger with like that is worth 3.4M?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He had one shortened season of 30pts in 58 games 4 years ago. All other seasons he has 15-25ish points in a full season.

I don't even think I need to address the narrative of a player being 38 and "in their prime"...

Armia to me is a top 9 forward. You can try to say he is a 4th line player all you want. Bottom 6 or top 9. Nit pick all you want. Not going down that rabbit hole.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not even talking about this year though, he's a 25-30 point player and at 5v5 he's not strong defensively or offensively. So basically he's only effective on the PK. What winger with like that is worth 3.4M?

Do you think Armia is a 4th line asset? Tell me that with a straight face.

I'm trying to force Armia on you either. I just don't think he is a cap dump where he is a overpaid 4th line asset. That's what I'm debating when it comes to Armia.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

he's not 38

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Actually not bad at all. I mean, if Edmonton is willing to deviate from their strategy of " maybe next year", riding 29&97 into the ground, and shopping in the bargain bin. Depth wins cups. How many cups Chicago win after losing Bolland, Bickell, Shaw, Ladd, Brouwer, Kruger, Danault, Hartman, etc? Cause Kane and Toews are still there. Keith was there til this season. Turns out you need 4 lines and 3 pairs of D. And Edmonton sure as hell ain' t drafting or developing depth.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You expect Oilers to get good players on ok contracts from UFA? Edmonton is hardly the place players wanna go to with discounts. If you want players - you have to make trades and preferrable players with some term. It usually costs something. Overpaid players you have enough of already.

Lmao so now Yamamoto is a top 6 players with 12 points playing with the best two players in the league? Lehkonen has one point less playing with Pezetta, Hillis and other ECHL/AHL caliber player

Reactions: alasania94

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Edmonton get:

Montreal get:

- 1st 2022

Probably CHiarot for Koskinen and '22 first pick and '23 second rounder. Oilers get help on blueline and free up cap space to bring in top goalie

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Gorton is not just going to play nice and give you Toffoli while taking camp dumps where it don't increase Toffoli's value. I agree that original trade idea don't work for the Oilers but there is a deal to be made between the Oilers and Habs. I think you are undervaluing Toffoli to some degree. See below

Toffoli as a Pending UFA rental:
* 2nd Rounder
* A NCAA player well above pt/game (at the time of the trade)

Toffoli on a team friendly AAV for this playoff run and two more seasons?
* Two pieces worth more than what the Canucks paid to get him for just one playoff run.
You didn’t answer the question. Would you do the trade? All that from the oilers including a 2022 1st and Yamamoto for Toffoil and Allen?

or Toffoli and Lehkonen?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hm. I would think that Toffoli would be worth a 1st and prospect, especially if 2 capdumps are also coming in
Those cap dumps are both pending UFAs so rental dumps. Not that negative value as such with no bearing on next season. Would you accept that package from the oilers for Toffoli and Allen?

this gives the Habs a 2022 1st that could be in the teens and Yamamoto and no other next season commitments for two guys you don’t need in a tear down rebuild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You didn’t answer the question. Would you do the trade? All that from the oilers including a 2022 1st and Yamamoto for Toffoil and Allen?

or Toffoli and Lehkonen?

NO, I would not. I don't like the deal for both the Oilers and Habs. I said that in other threads as well. The point to you was I do feel you are underrating Toffoli's value to some degree.

In terms of Yamamoto, I pass. We have Caufield and that's enough smurf's for me.

I don't think the Habs trade Allen without knowing what we do with Price. If anybody wants Allen, you got to give us something that makes us think. He's a fringe starter yes and probably better than what you have at the moment but we need him too if Price never comes back or we trade him with retention (if healthy again).

Personally, I'm not desperate to move Lehkonen. I value his energy and maturity during rebuild years. I would move others first but once again, offer something that makes us think and we can evaluate it and discuss further

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

or Toffoli and Lehkonen?
So I read numerous posts screaming about the Habs taking the Oilers expiring cap dumps while expecting us to take multiple years of Allen, which keeps us in the same goalie hell we are in now. You want to dump Allen, it's not happening for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad