Value of: Edmonton & Boston - not realistic but curious

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No but Bergeron and Drai aren’t comparable. Bergeron was a compete 200’ player that killed penalties, scored, and was your shut down line killer. Drai is pretty one dimensional compared to bergy.

Draisaitl wins Harts. Bergeron wins Selkes. Both are franchise centers that would be ridiculous to move for a good 1B goalie, and a barely established one at that.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Oilers need to move Draisaitl or their 2024 1st for upgrades. Otherwise they’ll continue to tread water & most likely eventually deal with trade requests from their 2 stars. The Nurse contract hurts them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers need to move Draisaitl or their 2024 1st for upgrades. Otherwise they’ll continue to tread water & most likely eventually deal with trade requests from their 2 stars. The Nurse contract hurts them.
Lol. Bs fans and their need for a 1C. Okay we’ll get right on that. Hahaha you ain’t gonna trick the Oilers fans into trading Drai like you tricked Hall to sign in Boston.

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Lol. Bs fans and their need for a 1C. Okay we’ll get right on that. Hahaha you ain’t gonna trick the Oilers fans into trading Drai like you tricked Hall to sign in Boston.
I didn’t suggest trading with Boston. Just pointing out the state of your franchise. Stuck in mud, hindered by a few awful contracts (Nurse, Campbell etc etc). Oilers have some good pieces available for trade (RNH) but I don’t think those pieces return what the Oilers need. Hypothetically, moving a Draisaitl could net a stud D, young top 6 forward & a solid #1 goaltender.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I didn’t suggest trading with Boston. Just pointing out the state of your franchise. Stuck in mud, hindered by a few awful contracts (Nurse, Campbell etc etc). Oilers have some good pieces available for trade (RNH) but I don’t think those pieces return what the Oilers need. Hypothetically, moving a Draisaitl could net a stud D, young top 6 forward & a solid #1 goaltender.
I agree our biggest chip is our first. And it loses value with every win. So we should trade soon while our unprotected 1st still has high value.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers don't need to trade Draisaitl to get a goalie or a d-man. More realistic deals that actually happen in the NHL is they will get a more low value trade for a goalie (which is normal for goalie trades) and they can find a d-man at the deadline. They will have to work around the cap but those types of deals are more realistic.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'd rather have Ekholm and Hyman over Gryz and DeBrusk myself.

Isn't that the reason why you are getting Swayman for Pickard?

The "fall off" on wing/D is well worth the huge upgrade in goal IMO. Grz is sneaky good defensively. Super heady player.

The only MAJOR issue with this deal is contracts... all three of the bruins are in contract years and due for big raises, so it helps us for 6 months and then who knows what.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Would you also rather have Pickard over Swayman? It’s Boston whom rejects this overall offer.

It depends what Boston wants to do... they would hate to lose Swayman long-term obviously, but it is a luxury to have two #1 goalies and they surely have to be thinking about "win-now" don't they?

One way or another, one of those goalies is gone this summer.... and obviously they'd choose to send Ullmark, but doing it in season... when both Carolina, Edmonton and others need a goalie is ideal from a market perspective but tough to execute given Ullmark's salary... they'll have to take salary back, which may limit what they can get for him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Are you going to give us a stud D, young top 6 forward and a solid #1 goalie for Draisaitl? You have the pieces.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
. Score8 said:

Don’t know what to tell you, but your league mvp ain’t bringing you to the playoffs this year, but sway will be a huge reason why the bruins will be.

Checks standings... 5 points out with 75% of games still to be played.

I'll take that bet.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Are you going to give us a stud D, young top 6 forward and a solid #1 goalie for Draisaitl? You have the pieces.

Swayman + DeBrusk + Carlo might not be enough, and Carlo has NTC.

Swayman + DeBrusk + McAvoy is too much for Boston to do.

Swayman + DeBrusk + Lindholm is the closest, but Lindholm has a NMC, and the Oilers would prefer a RD.

edit: Some Bruins posters had thrown out Swayman, Poitras, DeBrusk, 1st, but I don't think Poitras and a 1st are very interesting for EDMs window.

edit 2: I think come offseason, these teams might talk about Ullmark or Swayman when a deal doesn't have to be dollar in and dollar out and the Bruins could accept futures as part of a deal and this thread can just be archived until then.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Swayman + DeBrusk + Carlo might not be enough, and Carlo has NTC.

Swayman + DeBrusk + McAvoy is too much for Boston to do.

Swayman + DeBrusk + Lindholm is the closest, but Lindholm has a NMC, and the Oilers would prefer a RD.

edit: Some Bruins posters had thrown out Swayman, Poitras, DeBrusk, 1st, but I don't think Poitras and a 1st are very interesting for EDMs window.

Swayman + Carlo + Poitras + 1st

I just saw your edit... most Oiler fans won't like my proposal, but I live in Boston, so I see those guys more... Oilers couldn't do Swayman, Poitras, Debrusk and a 1st because we need a good young/prime RD coming back. Carlo isn't a sexy return, but he's effective.

Debrusk and Swayman both have expiring contracts that we might choose not to afford... for example we can't afford or would choose not to pay $6M+ to a complementary winger in Debrusk... and we'd already made the mistake of paying big coin for a goalie with limited starter experience... I believe in Swayman, but he's never shouldered a load on a team like Edmonton without a friend/mentor playing half the games

If we are trading Draisaitl, it's to shore us up for a while, not to take on expiring contracts that might bolt or overprice themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Still wouldn't do it from an Oilers perspective. Boston's 1st is basically a 2nd (and I don't think they can trade their 2024 1st anyway as it's already conditionally dealt, essentially freezing the 2024 and 2025 1sts, so that 1st is in 2026 and honestly why even bother).

I'm not totally sold on Poitras as a fulltime top 6 forward yet either.

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Still wouldn't do it from an Oilers perspective. Boston's 1st is basically a 2nd (and I don't think they can trade their 2024 1st anyway as it's already conditionally dealt, essentially freezing the 2024 and 2025 1sts, so that 1st is in 2026 and honestly why even bother).

Didn't realize the 1st is already promised...

what about replacing with Lysell.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Come offseason if Drai seemed like he wasn't going to re-sign in EDM and actually became available and it sounded like he would re-sign in Boston... and if Carlo would waive...

That pushes Boston to the max of what they could possibly do, which is exactly what EDM would be aiming for (of course they would go talk to the rest of the league, too).

Would be very hard to turn down a Drai/Pasta/McAvoy/Lindholm/Ullmark core and also very hard to say yes. Well done.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Didn't realize the 1st is already promised...

what about replacing with Lysell.
I think you run into the same problem as the 1st/Poitras, which is "how does he fit into the window". Trading Draisaitl would piss off McDavid to the point that he is absolutely gone one way or another unless the Oilers win a Cup in the next two years. Lysell doesn't do that. Plus I'm always leery of a guy that shows up in a ton of trade proposals, and Lysell is ALWAYS in B's fans' proposals. Plus he's a smallish playmaking winger and Edmonton likes em big and beefy so I question whether he'd get a real look here.

I'd only consider a trade like you've suggested if Draisaitl absolutely will not re-sign here. In that scenario it's about the best we could hope for.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The stipulations are its the 2024 1st to Detroit if its not top 10, or its the 2025 1st to Detroit. It's pretty clear it's going to be the 2025 1st that would be available and the language in a trade would be "whichever of 2024/2025 that doesn't go to Detroit". I don't know where you get 2026 from.

I think you run into the same problem as the 1st/Poitras, which is "how does he fit into the window". Trading Draisaitl would piss off McDavid to the point that he is absolutely gone one way or another unless the Oilers win a Cup in the next two years. Lysell doesn't do that. Plus I'm always leery of a guy that shows up in a ton of trade proposals, and Lysell is ALWAYS in B's fans' proposals. Plus he's a smallish playmaking winger and Edmonton likes em big and beefy so I question whether he'd get a real look here.

I'd only consider a trade like you've suggested if Draisaitl absolutely will not re-sign here. In that scenario it's about the best we could hope for.

In fairness, Lysell has always been in proposals because he is the ONLY Bruins prospect that people valued outside of Boston before Poitras and Lorhei popped this year.... but I totally hear what you are saying.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
All these Drai proposals are trash. Firstly, trade Drai and say bye to McD. So it’s a non-starter off the bat. You don’t trade McDavid’s “ride or die”. You don’t trade a Hart winner and the best playoff performer in the game either when your goal is a Cup.

Ullmark was a .900 goalie before he benefited from Bostons ingrained elite defensive system. I wouldn’t trust either Boston goalie to be what they are in Boston anywhere else.

I wouldn’t trade Nuge for either Goalie either straight across.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The stipulations are its the 2024 1st to Detroit if its not top 10, or its the 2025 1st to Detroit. It's pretty clear it's going to be the 2025 1st that would be available and the language in a trade would be "whichever of 2024/2025 that doesn't go to Detroit". I don't know where you get 2026 from.

In fairness, Lysell has always been in proposals because he is the ONLY Bruins prospect that people valued outside of Boston before Poitras and Lorhei popped this year.... but I totally hear what you are saying.
Fair enough, but the point remains, what possible good does 26th overall in 2025 do for a team whose cup window needs to be "right f***in now"? Even if it's an offseason trade.

Makes sense. I just feel like we have a similar prospect in Xavier Bourgault, though admittedly his lack of production has been concerning. Edmonton's AHL centers are the absolute pits though.

The "outta nowhwere" aspect of Poitras worries me too. The sample size is still really small and an NHL season is a long, difficult grind. To be a reasonable size piece of a Leon Draisaitl trade I'd have to be a hell of a lot more sure about him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fair enough, but the point remains, what possible good does 26th overall in 2025 do for a team whose cup window needs to be "right f***in now"? Even if it's an offseason trade.

Makes sense. I just feel like we have a similar prospect in Xavier Bourgault, though admittedly his lack of production has been concerning. Edmonton's AHL centers are the absolute pits though.

The "outta nowhwere" aspect of Poitras worries me too. The sample size is still really small and an NHL season is a long, difficult grind. To be a reasonable size piece of a Leon Draisaitl trade I'd have to be a hell of a lot more sure about him.

Yeah I mean IF IF IF IF IF it comes to the offseason and Drai conversations aren't going well there isn't a great outcome for EDM regardless except to try to sell to McD that building a team with better depth and defense if going to lead to trophies... and 1st and Poitras doesn't help with that.

If things go south with Drai in EDM, I would think the Hurricanes would be the best match. Lots of quality D and some "good enough" forwards.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
All these Drai proposals are trash. Firstly, trade Drai and say bye to McD. So it’s a non-starter off the bat. You don’t trade McDavid’s “ride or die”. You don’t trade a Hart winner and the best playoff performer in the game either when your goal is a Cup.

Ullmark was a .900 goalie before he benefited from Bostons ingrained elite defensive system. I wouldn’t trust either Boston goalie to be what they are in Boston anywhere else.

I wouldn’t trade Nuge for either Goalie either straight across.

Ullmark had a .913 in his Buffalo career playing in front of truly awful awful awful teams. In Boston he has sported a .925.

I would guess in EDM he would split the difference. .919 save % would look pretty pretty pretty good in EDM.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ullmark had a .913 in his Buffalo career playing in front of truly awful awful awful teams. In Boston he has sported a .925.

I would guess in EDM he would split the difference. .919 save % would look pretty pretty pretty good in EDM.

Allegedly. Still not worth what we know we have in Drai. Not even close.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The Bruins aren’t in a position to make that deal. They’re already one top 7 forward short. More importantly they shouldn’t be looking to add a forward who next season will command 12-13m+ as a UFA when they already pay Pastrnak 11.25m. That’s a fast way to becoming the Leafs or Oilers (top heavy teams).

Pesce Kotkaniemi 1st for Draisaitl Campbell & 1st type deal. Solid RH shot top 4 dman, young top 6 center, swap the 1sts for getting rid of Campbell. RNH then shopped for a goalie. Not this exact deal but something of this ilk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad