Proposal: Edmonton/Anaheim., Edmonton/Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Call me crazy but koskinen has been fine thus far. Edmonton’s goalies aren’t sexy but they get the job done between him and Smith. I’d like to see them stop gap the net position the same way Chicago did during their cups or Detroit did. Allocate that cap into building a strong team in front of the net.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
What don't you like? Use real in game examples not the stat sheet please.

That's right, you don't watch the games. Just the stats. You have nothing to contribute that you didn't get from typing Keith's name in a search engine.

I don't respond to +/- criticisms. It's as relevant as his skate size.

I love how they pro-rated the +/- comedy gold right there

Reactions: ManofSteel55

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not sold on Gibson rebounding based on 8 GP this season just as I'm not sold on Koskinen being one of the best starters in the league. Maybe safer to bet on the latter

I'm not saying Kos is the solution. If Smith is happy I'm happy with him for now. We clearly need a long term option but I'm not expecting it to happen in the middle of the regular season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Call me crazy but koskinen has been fine thus far. Edmonton’s goalies aren’t sexy but they get the job done between him and Smith. I’d like to see them stop gap the net position the same way Chicago did during their cups or Detroit did. Allocate that cap into building a strong team in front of the net.

Kos' mobility and glove had have both looked better, but Edmonton hasn't played many good teams yet. Lost to Philly and Nashville. Pretty sure the rest of the teams we've played so far have been scrubs... so I don't think it's a good idea to judge our goaltending based on who they've faced this year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My only issue with Gibson is how we fit his cap hit in while keeping the rest of the team together. Even with Koskinen in the deal we would need to still find an extra 3 million we would need to find for the future, and that's without considering Pulujarvi needing a new contract. The only way I can think of doing that is by trading Barrie, but we don't have any RD replacements in the system.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I have to disagree with you here. +/- is more of a team stat, and not so great for individual assessment.

Keith has really played well with Ceci and in my opinion has really settled down his play. They look pretty good on the 2nd pairing together.

If you watched the Oilers in the pre-season you would have seen Ceci struggle a bit before Keith's arrival. I was kind of worried but tried to keep in mind a player needs time to adjust to a new scheme and new teammates. These two started playing together and there seemed a lot less, I dunno, panic? in Ceci's game. No real complaints with the 2nd pairing right now.

Watching the game isn't a tired argument. Advanced stats are a tool in the toolbox when evaluating a player but those stats, and simple ones like +/- aren't the only valid way to understand a hockey player.
Seems like Keith’s shot share supports that +/-. But you guys are arguing with with Habs fan who doesn’t know that Chariot needs to stand on Buff/Weber’s shoulders to look tall. Chariot has a small toolbox that he can use to support a star player. Seems to me we are arguing over which one of Snow White’s friends is the tallest.

I do fully support your last paragraph.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Kos' mobility and glove had have both looked better, but Edmonton hasn't played many good teams yet. Lost to Philly and Nashville. Pretty sure the rest of the teams we've played so far have been scrubs... so I don't think it's a good idea to judge our goaltending based on who they've faced this year.

Huh? The Oilers beat the Preds. They're 8-1.

My only issue with Gibson is how we fit his cap hit in while keeping the rest of the team together. Even with Koskinen in the deal we would need to still find an extra 3 million we would need to find for the future, and that's without considering Pulujarvi needing a new contract. The only way I can think of doing that is by trading Barrie, but we don't have any RD replacements in the system.

That is exactly as I see it. The Oilers can't make a trade for Gibson without something going out to equal the $$$. This is a bad cap season for Edmonton.

Reactions: snipes and voxel

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I need to quit pre-drinking before games

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Huh? The Oilers beat the Preds. They're 8-1.

That is exactly as I see it. The Oilers can't make a trade for Gibson without something going out to equal the $$$. This is a bad cap season for Edmonton.

Sorry I meant lost to philly and beat nashville. My point was the other team's we'd played so far aren't good enough for me to take seriously. If we'd lost to them it would have been incredibly disappointing for me.

NMHockeyFan

Oiler fan in Virginia
Dec 3, 2010
Danville, VA
I'd rather wait and see how the season goes for a bit. Gibson is a good goalie, but I'm not sure we should be spending that much to acquire him. No interest in trading Barrie for that return. Plus having depth is a good thing.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Sorry I meant lost to philly and beat nashville. My point was the other team's we'd played so far aren't good enough for me to take seriously. If we'd lost to them it would have been incredibly disappointing for me.

Well, that is the point in my opinion. We beat who we're supposed to beat, and if Koskinen would have been on his game we should have beat Philly. Are any of these teams Carolina? No, but we aren't as good as the Canes yet and I don't think most Oiler fans think we are.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well, that is the point in my opinion. We beat who we're supposed to beat, and if Koskinen would have been on his game we should have beat Philly. Are any of these teams Carolina? No, but we aren't as good as the Canes yet and I don't think most Oiler fans think we are.

No, but I'm very curious to see how we match up against teams like Winnipeg and... well... damn flames are playing well. There's a bunch of match-ups we need to see still.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No, but I'm very curious to see how we match up against teams like Winnipeg and... well... damn flames are playing well. There's a bunch of match-ups we need to see still.

The Flames have a hot goaltender. They're going to fall back to earth soon enough. The Jets are a more complete team.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Gibson just stole a point away from Vancouver in OT. He'ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss BACK.
Price just went back up.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Barrie would not solve our PP issues and he would be taken advantage of in our own end. I pass. Rather trade Chiarot for two 2nd's and keep Poehling

We already suck in our own end lol

Difference is with Barrie, maybe the puck won't stay that long into our zone

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Chiarot would be an ideal 3LD for the oilers I would think. However, I want to aim higher for a 2LD and drop Keith to 3LD. Not on performance just so that all three pairs can be trusted for 19mins+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad