Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think NHLPA will allow this. Anything less than 15M will be insulting to arguably the best player league has seen in generations. Draisaitl is not his comparable. McDavid is a tier above the rest.
16M instead of league max would be a nice discount from his side
The NHLPA doesn’t have a say in it. McDavid could sign a league minimum deal and they could do nothing about it.

Can’t wait until that myth dies

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Because McD will be setting the bar too low if he signs for less than 15Mper. Drai isn't a factor. He could've signed for 11M per and NHLPA wouldn't have cared.

Huh? The best player in the world signing by far the biggest contract in the league is enough of a concern you think the NHLPA is going to step in somehow, and yet a top 2-4 player signing is irrelevant? The idea the PA will step in makes absolutely no sense, and your logic is even worse. The PA didn’t step in when Crosby took a massive discount. It’s not a thing. What do you think they’re going to do?

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Funny how people are saying it's too much. But I would still remind that projected cap on 25-26 when that contract kicks in should be $92 million and aprox same rise to 26-27 when assumed McD contract kicks in.

Reactions: McDoused

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Because McD will be setting the bar too low if he signs for less than 15Mper. Drai isn't a factor. He could've signed for 11M per and NHLPA wouldn't have cared.
You’re aware that there’s a salary cap right? McDavid signing for more isn’t going to magically mean there’s more money to go around.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Funny how people are saying it's too much. But I would still remind that projected cap on 25-26 when that contract kicks in should be $92 million and aprox same rise to 26-27 when assumed McD contract kicks in.

That will still be very tight. Bouchard is likely to be north of 10 million.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
1725380233674.jpeg

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Huh? The best player in the world signing by far the biggest contract in the league is enough of a concern you think the NHLPA is going to step in somehow, and yet a top 2-4 player signing is irrelevant? The idea the PA will step in makes absolutely no sense, and your logic is even worse. The PA didn’t step in when Crosby took a massive discount. It’s not a thing. What do you think they’re going to do?
It's a myth. Crosby proved it once and about to prove it again

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Some perspective is definitely warranted.

When Leon signed his $8.5x8 deal that was a MASSIVE contract, and I believe that level of AAV was nearly unprecedented for someone that hadn't won a Cup. The cap was effectively frozen for about half of that deal and it still didn't hurt. If the cap keeps moving up $2-4M/yr like it had been traditionally this deal will be good fairly quickly.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Glad it’s done. Glad he’s staying.

That’s a bad contract though. It is what it is.
Didn't a majority of Oiler fans say this when he signed 8 years 8.5 mill lmfao.

The cap is rising. I love how fans are already calling this bad

Reactions: brentashton

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As much as I'm apprehensive about the dollars.... It feels great to be able to keep these guys.

Don't forget the dark days when this stuff was off the table..
If only we could have kept my man Dougie.

1026doug-weight-oilers-scaled-e1698249074401.jpg

We have it good, boys.

I was one of those kids that had to watch all of my childhood heroes and favourite players walk out the door to teams I mostly hated because we couldn't pay them. For those too young to have experienced this, it absolutely f***ing sucks and I couldn't be any happier that we are on the other side of the ledger now.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Before the summer I was thinking under $14 Million AAV was a "win" for the Oilers and above $14 Million AAV was a "win" for Leon.

I guess it's a tie! Good deal and I'm very glad he will spend the next 9 seasons in Edmonton.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why? Because you decided that? Imagine thinking Drai should have only taken 12.5 lol

Again people setting unrealistic expectations just so they can act upset that their own BS didn’t come true.

No, history shows that you can only allocate a certain % of the cap and win a cup. The Oilers could be an outlier from 25-26 and beyond, and win a cup, but they would indeed be an outlier. Lets not pretend that the route they are apparently taking is the normal path.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
will worry about McDavids this time next year--but right now there are a lot of salty posters on the main board that had piped in earlier in the off season saying he would not stay in Edmonton. We need the cap to do to 100mill sooner than later

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Before the summer I was thinking under $14 Million AAV was a "win" for the Oilers and above $14 Million AAV was a "win" for Leon.

I guess it's a tie! Good deal and I'm very glad he will spend the next 9 seasons in Edmonton.
13.5M was my par.
A little overpaid but I feel we got enough discount from Henrique/Arvidsson/Skinner/Janmark to make up for it. Drai being an Oiler played a big role in them signing here.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad