Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Actually, I don't think this has to be the case. It might mean moving on from Kane but by the time McDavid's deal starts I don't think this will be a big deal.

What it will require is smart moves that fill the roster out with cheaper players who want a shot at winning.

Well yeah, obviously it will require finding players on cheaper deals now. That is kind of the entire point of my post :) Is it possible, sure I guess, but its a lot less likely. What would have been better for the team, is if each took $1 M less a year and we had $3 M more to play with in a hard cap environment. Drai didn't, but I suppose Bouch or McD might still (more likely with McD of course, as Bouch has made his "life changing" money yet).

Again, it is what it is, and it was always an unlikely event that they all took discounts to try and win the cup. The reality was always that players usually prioritize money over winning, and we shouldn't be shocked when our players do the same.

Reactions: Canovin

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Let's drum up this #loyaltooil and make sure McD and Bouchard see it.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
12.5 was never remotely realistic so why get upset about something that was never happening.

Agreed, it was always very unlikely. I'm not upset about Drai signing at all. Great for him, and glad he likely finishes his career as an Oilers player. We have lots too many stars over the years. I just don't think it helps us win a cup is all (beyond this year of course, where he is still on his old contract, and I very much feel that we have a legit cup chance).

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Good players aren't going to join the Oilers for cheap for the duration of McDrai's new deals. It all depends on how well the Oilers do this season otherwise we could be seeing the Kahun type signings sooner than later

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There isn't a single person here who's unhappy he's signed. Some are just wishing it came a bit cheaper, that's all there is to it. Mountains out of molehills for some people.

Exactly. I think everybody is happy he signed. Some of us just wish it was for less to help the team. Drai deserves what he is getting, and I'm happy for him, even if I think it hurts the teams chances of winning a cup. To not be happy about it would be pretty crazy IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You need new material, this is getting old
What’s getting old is the whining and complaining about things not meeting peoples unrealistic expectations. Love that you’re outing yourself as part of the big mad gang though. Project all the bad in real life into sports so you can stay mad about what you can’t control instead of controlling what you can. Seems to have worked out well for the guys who’ve spent the last 15 years here doing it lol.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why are Isles fans trolling Oiler fans about this on social media LOL did they think Leon or McDavid were going to go there lmfao

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
A distinguishing factor with McDavid is he makes about $8M per year from endorsements off the ice that Leon doesn't get. McDavid has more latitude to take less money on his NHL deal because he has large income streams coming in from elsewhere.

Yup, I was always expecting Drai and Bouch to go after the bag, but hoping they wouldn't, lol. McDavid was always the best bet to take less money because he already has so much, and because he has such high endorsement deals.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
What’s getting old is the whining and complaining about things not meeting peoples unrealistic expectations. Love that you’re outing yourself as part of the big mad gang though. Project all the bad in real life into sports so you can stay mad about what you can’t control instead of controlling what you can. Seems to have worked out well for the guys who’ve spent the last 15 years here doing it lol.
Are you ok?

• Haha

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Agreed, it was always very unlikely. I'm not upset about Drai signing at all. Great for him, and glad he likely finishes his career as an Oilers player. We have lots too many stars over the years. I just don't think it helps us win a cup is all (beyond this year of course, where he is still on his old contract, and I very much feel that we have a legit cup chance).
Having Drai on the team doesn’t help the Oilers potentially win a cup in the future? Neat.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yup, I was always expecting Drai and Bouch to go after the bag, but hoping they wouldn't, lol. McDavid was always the best bet to take less money because he already has so much, and because he has such high endorsement deals.
Maybe he'll take the same as Drai

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They’ve called several things now. I was extremely incredulous when they started making predictions, but I don’t think there can be any doubt now that they have some sort of connection.

Yup they had the numbers down. Apparently Leon was going to sign on Friday but then the poor Gaudreau family tragedy happened

Reactions: nabob

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO $14 million was about his market value. There is no discount here, he took the bag. Here's to hoping that management can keep building around Connor and Leon for the next 5-7 years while their new deals kick in and they are at their best before inevitably dropping off as players. Now it comes down to Bouch and what he'll get and then what Connor will take.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Everyone complains here and it's never going to get old. It's comes with having a discussion and having different opinions. What's getting old is you coming back from a hiatus and policing. Just let people post their thoughts. No one has posted anything bad. We are happy Drai is coming back. just don't like the AVV

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We get to keep our superstars. The Stanley Cup might not happen.
Perhaps. But dump the superstars and it’s more than likely the same outcome. You never know if the goods you get in a trade for a skill like Drai will compensate or be even a better sum of the parts towards a championship. I like that the Oilers are going all in with these guys.

Nordiques trade of Lindros didn’t amount to anything championships.

Montreal forced to move Roy. Zippo.

Let’s try it this way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad