Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I very much do.

The amount of salt that will be spilt next summer when McD signs his 8-year deal (and those idiots finally realize he will NEVER be a Leaf) will be biblical. lol
Indeed, life can't be much fun when you go to other teams' boards to taunt other fans but I guess when you are sitting in the middle of the 401 traffic with no particular place to go then.....

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
No, I already said I’m happy he’s signed.

I can be happy he’s staying and also think it’s a bad contract.

It’s not a zero sum game.
this is how I feel. If the oilers decided that 14M is too much for a 30 year old player, I would have been fine with trading him. Instead the decided that to do the deal and I am fin with that.

If we win one cup in his tenure, this will remembered as a great signing. That probably makes the risk worth it ????

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Congrats!

Only problem is Draisaitl is 29 next month so the Oilers will be paying him 14M until age 38. Those last 3-4 years are going to hurt.
Congrats the Leafs fan says on the Oiler's board...

Then proceeds to dilute that fake congrats with salty tears.

385t4l.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’m not the one making absolutes like you did in your first post.

It’s okay, item number 10000 that you’re wrong about on here.
You said he's more likely to take an identical contract than league max. I'm interested to know why you think that. He's already proven he's worth as much as he wants.

Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’d guess McDavid is only 14.5-15.0. He already took less once. He’ll get the biggest contract in the league and still be underpaid

A distinguishing factor with McDavid is he makes about $8M per year from endorsements off the ice that Leon doesn't get. McDavid has more latitude to take less money on his NHL deal because he has large income streams coming in from elsewhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I’d guess McDavid is only 14.5-15.0. He already took less once. He’ll get the biggest contract in the league and still be underpaid

I would say 16 is more realistic. I doubt the Oilers will push too hard and basically give. Then 11 for Bouchard depending on term.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Indeed, life can't be much fun when you go to other teams' boards to taunt other fans but I guess when you are sitting in the middle of the 401 traffic with no particular place to go then.....
Agreed. Never understood these idiots that come to another teams board.

And what are they even chirping about? "hahaha you signed one of the greatest players in the world to an 8 year contract and our man-purse wearing captain only signed for 4 years"

lol like nice flex leafs fans. 1967!

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
So to many 13.5 would be a great deal but 14 isn't a great deal? You sign your best players for whatever it takes and adjust below that. It is MUCH easier to find that .5m difference on the 3rd or 4th line or bottom pair defencemen. .5m is less than the minimum salary in today's NHL. In the grand scheme of things, that is absolutely peanuts.

Leon obviously wanted to get paid but also wants the team to have the best chance to build a team that can win a cup. There is a perfect balance in there somewhere and as a fan, I will leave it up to the team to find that right balance.

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
Woo, glad to see the band staying together for the foreseeable future.

The bickering on here makes me laugh and reminds me of an interview I saw once. I can't recall who, if it was an ex-player or announcer, but said the salary cap has ruined hockey because now everyone just bitches about player salaries rather than enjoying the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad