Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is $500K higher than I had been working with recently. In the end though this is a deal that had to get done. I do wonder if the plan for Bouchard will be a 4-5 year deal at somewhat less AAV than he might otherwise get.

Something is going to have to give unless we want our cup window to only be this upcoming year. Drai needed to take about 12.5, McD about 14, and Bouch about 8 if we wanted to be really competitive

Reactions: McDoused

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Something is going to have to give unless we want our cup window to only be this upcoming year. Drai needed to take about 12.5, McD about 14, and Bouch about 8 if we wanted to be really competitive
Why? Because you decided that? Imagine thinking Drai should have only taken 12.5 lol

Again people setting unrealistic expectations just so they can act upset that their own BS didn’t come true.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's arguably the 2nd best player in the league with the cap going up quite a bit over the next 9 years. in 3-4 years, 14 million could be what most lesser star players will be making.

There is certainly an argument he’s been the 2nd best player in the league over the duration of his last contract.

There is no argument he was the 2nd best player in the league this past season though. Not based on regular season play and not based on playoff play.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Agree. That's too much. Don't players ever leave anything on the table anymore?

Note : I'm a Leaf fan so I know your pain when it comes to contracts.
He's been leaving money on the table for years. His last contract was significantly lower than his value.

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We get to keep our superstars. The Stanley Cup might not happen.

Reactions: Yuke

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's been leaving money on the table for years. His last contract was significantly lower than his value.
His last contract was an unprecedented amount for what he’d done up to that point in his career.

We were blessed he outperformed it, but Draisaitl has never “left money on the table” not with his last contract and not with this contract. He and his agent have taken every penny. Good on them. But let’s not act like he’s ever given this team a discount.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Yeah, I'm happy for Drai, he deserves the money he is getting. But lets be real, our cap window is basically now just this year, and MAYBE the year after, depending what Bouch signs for. But I'm expecting Bouch to sign for a big deal as well, so its really just this next year.

Drai choose money over legacy and winning, which I really do understand, but as a fan its unfortunate.

To be honest, could have gotten much more on the open market. He took less to be here.

There is a business element to it. Oilers gotta get this done as it pretty much means 97 is locked in as well. Regardless of championships, these two signed up will fill the building for the next 8 years, which means $$.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
His last contract was an unprecedented amount for what he’d done up to that point in his career.

We were blessed he outperformed it, but Draisaitl has never “left money on the table” not with his last contract and not with this contract.
I'm sorry you're having a tough time with this.

Would it have made you feel better if another team signed him to this deal?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
not really. He was overpaid when he negotiated his last contract as well banking on his potential ala Nurse. 6.5-7M was what we were hoping for based on comparables at that time (Tarasenko\ROR)

He is overpaid by about a million now but when you factor in that him being an Oilers played a big part for guys like Henrique, Arvidsson, Brown, Skinner to sign with Oilers at discount then its all worth it.

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
No, I already said I’m happy he’s signed.

I can be happy he’s staying and also think it’s a bad contract.

It’s not a zero sum game.
In two years he will be the 4-5 highest paid player in the league. It's not like he's going to be the highest paid player in the league for 8 seasons.

Try not telling others what to do.

Btw, McDavid and co will eventually age and retire, meanwhile the Toronto Maple Leafs will be around forever.
What the hell does this even mean? Lol.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
not really. He was overpaid when he negotiated his last contract as well banking on his potential ala Nurse. 6.5-7M was what we were hoping for based on comparables at that time (Tarasenko\ROR)

He is overpaid by about a million now but when you factor in that him being an Oilers played a big part for guys like Henrique, Arvidsson, Brown, Skinner to sign with Oilers at discount then its all worth it.
What HFOil was "hoping for" couldn't be less relevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad