Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Absolutely deserves every penny.

That said, the cap situation could get absolutely ugly for the Oilers over the long-term. They have to get a cup or two here in the extended window they have now.

Yeah, I'm happy for Drai, he deserves the money he is getting. But lets be real, our cap window is basically now just this year, and MAYBE the year after, depending what Bouch signs for. But I'm expecting Bouch to sign for a big deal as well, so its really just this next year.

Drai choose money over legacy and winning, which I really do understand, but as a fan its unfortunate.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Is this a dream?? The Oilers just made a top-5 player in the league and top-5 Oiler of all time an Edmonton Oiler for life. Rival fans can now kiss their dreams of Connor becoming a UFA goodbye. Amazing news after a brutal day on Friday.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
He’s going to be the highest paid player in the league for at least one season. That’s not fair value any way you slice it.
He also massively outperformed his last contract, and in 5-6 years when his contract looks bad (if it does, depending on what the cap number is) people will forget that we had him during his peak at a huge discount.

14 mil is a fair price considering he has the second most points in the NHL over the last 9 years.

So what number would have made you happy? 13.5? 13.25? That extra 500 grand really ruined your day did it?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah, I'm happy for Drai, he deserves the money he is getting. But lets be real, our cap window is basically now just this year, and MAYBE the year after, depending what Bouch signs for. But I'm expecting Bouch to sign for a big deal as well, so its really just this next year.

Drai choose money over legacy and winning, which I really do understand, but as a fan its unfortunate.
never change lol

Mapleafan

Scarborough of course.
May 22, 2016
Canada
who cares, he was underpaid for the last 8 years
Yeah he was.

Oilers have 3-5 years of contention left probably, which is ok. Sid won his last cup at age 30. I think you guys win 1 or 2. Once those years are over it’ll be tough though, like with the Pens or Golden State Warriors when the contention days ended. Like watching your dog slowly die.

Reactions: McDoused

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Congrats!

Only problem is Draisaitl is 29 next month so the Oilers will be paying him 14M until age 38. Those last 3-4 years are going to hurt.

Yeah, the last 3-4 years are gonna be pretty bad, but lets be honest, they were gonna be pretty bad at 12.5 as well. The much bigger problem is that this very likely means that the team can't be competitive during the first 4-5 years of the contract either, which would have been much more likely at 12.5. Oh well, is what it is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He’s going to be the highest paid player in the league for at least one season. That’s not fair value any way you slice it.
Imagine judging an 8 year contract based solely on if he might be overpaid in only the first season. Guessing you absolutely hated his last contract when it was announced as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is $500K higher than I had been working with recently. In the end though this is a deal that had to get done. I do wonder if the plan for Bouchard will be a 4-5 year deal at somewhat less AAV than he might otherwise get.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He's arguably the 2nd best player in the league with the cap going up quite a bit over the next 9 years. in 3-4 years, 14 million could be what most lesser star players will be making.

Reactions: McDoused and nabob

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Happy he's staying... but 14 mil is a lot of money. I was really hoping these guys would take a bit of a haircut.

He seems to be slowing down... which is a bit worrisome when the deal doesn't even kick in until next year.

Anyway.. I have to believe that means McDavid is here long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad