Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Don't want mathews. Why bring his name up??
Cause 97 was skating with him last week. Everyone down east figured it was Mathews trying to talk McDavid into going to Tor.

I am saying it was 97 trying to get Mathews to come to Edmonton.

Now you know. Come ask me more questions when you can’t figure stuff out.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m not a twitter guy so I don’t know who most of these guys are. Is this the guy who used to play for the Flames or just someone using a similar name?
I think he's just a Leafs guy, it's just very funny to declare it so firmly and the the grief related to that declaration is top notch.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In two years he will be the 4-5 highest paid player in the league. It's not like he's going to be the highest paid player in the league for 8 seasons.

McDavid is a given.

I'm not sure there is anyone else in the next 2 seasons signing a contract north of $14M. Maybe Bedard if he explodes this year and enters the conversation as best player in the world.

Rantanen, Kaprizov, Eichel, Marner. I don't think any of them will approach that amount.

Maybe Panarin? But he's going to be what... 35 at that point? So I doubt it.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Happy we locked him up but 14 million is woof imo. I wish they could have deferred some money

People can say it's comparable to Matthews' and Mac's cap %, but lets be real, their play without the puck is superior. I feel like Drai should have taken a bit of a defensive tax honestly

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McDavid is a given.

I'm not sure there is anyone else in the next 2 seasons signing a contract north of $14M. Maybe Bedard if he explodes this year and enters the conversation as best player in the world.

Rantanen, Kaprizov, Eichel, Marner. I don't think any of them will approach that amount.

Maybe Panarin? But he's going to be what... 35 at that point? So I doubt it.
Because they aren't nearly as good as Draisaitl.

The reality is that once Matthews signed his contract, Draisaitl was getting north of that especially in a higher cap world. The market dictated this $14m contract which I too think is a bit high but when we're talking about the difference between 13.5 or 14m, does it really matter that much when you're talking about locking up a superstar?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Happy we locked him up but 14 million is woof imo. I wish they could have deferred some money

People can say it's comparable to Matthews' and Mac's cap %, but lets be real, their play without the puck is superior. I feel like Drai should have taken a bit of a defensive tax honestly
It's also front-loaded apparently. With proper trainign and no significant injuries, he should stay at his current level for another 4-5 years. If would help if the cap rises.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Because they aren't nearly as good as Draisaitl.

The reality is that once Matthews signed his contract, Draisaitl was getting north of that especially in a higher cap world. The market dictated this $14m contract which I too think is a bit high but when we're talking about the difference between 13.5 or 14m, does it really matter that much when you're talking about locking up a superstar?

I didn’t say they were better. I was just responding to the suggestion that in 2 seasons Draisaitl will be the 4th or 5th highest paid player in the league.

I don’t see it happening.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
You gotta think Bowman was trying to get them to come down from 14M to 13.5M but ultimately didn't want to risk it over 500k.
He's earned that extra 500,00 and then some honestly. I would have preferred 13.5 but I am fine with 14. This is a win win for both IMO. Drai gets his stability and potential rest of his career taken care of, and he stays in control of his destiny. The man is on a path to be a legendary Oiler, like Connor. Hell, it can be said he's already amongst the tops.
This bodes well for signing Connor long term, and I think Bouchard too. The season start cannot come soon enough. Now I'm looking forward to the camp to see what we have going on with all these new bodies and some of the picks.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
Had to sign him. Though the Oilers really have to win a cup next year and leverage having McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard all on significant discounts.

Once their new contracts start and simultaneously McDrai start to age out of their primes, it's going to be much more difficult.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I didn’t say they were better. I was just responding to the suggestion that in 2 seasons Draisaitl will be the 4th or 5th highest paid player in the league.

I don’t see it happening.
Fair enough although I'd watch for the Rantanen contract to come close.

Reactions: McDoused

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I always have mixed feelings about these kinds of contracts.

On the one hand, the #1 priority was returning Drai to the Oilers for the next two or three seasons. So, that's done and dusted, and thus I can sleep easier.

On the other hand, we all know there is a lot of risk involved in contracting players who are likely cresting-their-primes or soon-to-be-exiting their primes with this much long-term money.

Draisaitl has been an incredible, world-elite player for years. Any glance at his unbelievable stats (RS and playoffs) makes it immediately clear that he's worth $14 million for those years. (During those years, he was underpaid per League value.)

The question, of course, is: Is he worth $14 million for the years 2025-2033? The answer is: Almost certainly NOT. It would be a minor miracle if Draisaitl were producing 70% of his current numbers by 2032-33.

Just judging by last season, it's possible that Drai is already (albeit slowly) starting to exit his prime. Of course, it's also possible that he will roar back next season with an enormous year. But either way, I doubt he'll be a 100-point scorer say, four years from now.

Needless to say, none of this matters much if the Oilers win even one Stanley Cup (next spring, let's hope!). And clearly the org's decision is to go all-in, financially. Which is fine. It's a gamble, and they've taken their position and put their money where their mouths are. I (mostly) approve.

But I would feel better if the Oilers didn't have so many of these long-term contracts. Nuge, Nurse, Drai... It's quite possible that, in five years, the Oil will be shelling out $29 million a season just for Nurse, Nuge, and Drai, who might collectively be:
- a bottom-pairing D
- a 40-point-a-year two-way forward
- a 65-point-a-year disgruntled former superstar

This is before we even consider McDavid's next contract...

Anyway, as we all know, this is all the org's attempt to counter-balance the decades of star players leaving Edmonton, so I "get it" and I approve.

I also worry... but for now, we've got Drai back!

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It's also front-loaded apparently. With proper trainign and no significant injuries, he should stay at his current level for another 4-5 years. If would help if the cap rises.
I don’t understand this when it’s brought up
Who cares?
Katz is going to spend to the cap regardless, he proved that when we stunk and were still capped out
the AAV is 14M for the entirety of the contract, front back or side loaded. It’s not like the old days when you could drastically load a contract one way or the other anyway

Its kinda like when people mention 1 or 2 way contracts, thinking this has some effect on a player’s movement

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I don’t understand this when it’s brought up
Who cares?
Katz is going to spend to the cap regardless, he proved that when we stunk and were still capped out
the AAV is 14M for the entirety of the contract, front back or side loaded. It’s not like the old days when you could drastically load a contract one way or the other anyway

Its kinda like when people mention 1 or 2 way contracts, thinking this has some effect on a player’s movement
I guess the reason it is mentioned is if he deteriorates as many players are prone to do at some point in their 30s, the contract would be easier to move. For us, it is, of course, irrelevant whether he makes 25 million or 10 million.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I wish people would keep in mind how dominant Draisaitl is in the playoffs. He’s worth every penny. Injuries are the only worry for me, but he’s just a warrior and fights through it all.

Playoff Drai, when it matters most, is in all time legendary status even without a Cup.

I just want one, I’ll take more but get one Cup. Drai could fall off immediately after but at least this generation would have something to show for it.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I guess the reason it is mentioned is if he deteriorates as many players are prone to do at some point in their 30s, the contract would be easier to move. For us, it is, of course, irrelevant whether he makes 25 million or 10 million.
If he deteriorates the contract isn’t getting moved anyway

That said, has it been mentioned if there is any movement protection in the extension?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If he deteriorates the contract isn’t getting moved anyway

That said, has it been mentioned if there is any movement protection in the extension?
Who knows. I am surprised Draisaitl is not even 29. I thought he was about to turn 30. So will be 37-38 when his new contract expires. Given that he plays a slower, more celebral game, he may remain quite effective for the duration of the contract. Thornton, who, I think is a similar player, remained a solid point-producer into his late 30s (a PPG season at 37).

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Who knows. I am surprised Draisaitl is not even 29. I thought he was about to turn 30. So will be 37-38 when his new contract expires. Given that he plays a slower, more celebral game, he may remain quite effective for the duration of the contract. Thornton, who, I think is a similar player, remained a solid point-producer into his late 30s (a PPG season at 37).
That was a quick flip ha ha

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's no different than his last deal. It all depends on what kind of risk you think Drai is. The 8.5 aav deal was criticized too. The 14 million aav deal has less ceiling to explore, but does have good odds to be a bargain too, if he ages well. If he's similar in 2031 as he is today, it's crazy good value

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It's no different than his last deal. It all depends on what kind of risk you think Drai is. The 8.5 aav deal was criticized too. The 14 million aav deal has less ceiling to explore, but does have good odds to be a bargain too, if he ages well. If he's similar in 2031 as he is today, it's crazy good value
Does it make him the highest paid player in the league now? I think it's a market value, but I would not expect it to ever become a bargain. With Draisaitl at his age, it's basically what you see is what you get, or he starts declinining. Slowly or not so slowly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad