Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Cause 97 was skating with him last week. Everyone down east figured it was Mathews trying to talk McDavid into going to Tor.

I am saying it was 97 trying to get Mathews to come to Edmonton.

Now you know. Come ask me more questions when you can’t figure stuff out.

Lol. Hockey players hang out all the time with no interior motives.

It's fans who make up these theories.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Does it make him the highest paid player in the league now? I think it's a market value, but I would not expect it to ever become a bargain. With Draisaitl at his age, it's basically what you see is what you get, or he starts declinining. Slowly or not so slowly.
Yes like I said, the gamble here is the length of the deal, and the upside of the risk is where the bargain lies. So just like Drai's 8.5 aav contract, the question is about how much faith you have in him. We have seen Draisaitl as the sturdy player. So what will Draisaitl be at age 36? Imo he will be a player of near equal value, with some loss of his physical gifts but with improved knowledge and defensive ability. If top players are signing for 19 million at that time, then the cap savings on Drai's 14 million aav deal could rival what the savings on his 8.5 aav deal was.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yes like I said, the gamble here is the length of the deal, and the upside of the risk is where the bargain lies. So just like Drai's 8.5 aav contract, the question is about how much faith you have in him. We have seen Draisaitl as the sturdy player. So what will Draisaitl be at age 36? Imo he will be a player of near equal value, with some loss of his physical gifts but with improved knowledge and defensive ability. If players are signing for 18 and 19 million at that time, then the cap savings on Drai's 14 million aav deal could rival what the savings on his 8.5 aav deal was.
fair point. If he stays near the current level and the cap keeps rising.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
whole lotta cope over at CP

they're just jealous Tkachuk and Gaudreau (RIP) bolted the second they could
In all fairness, Gaudreau wasn't going to stay in Calgary as he wanted to be closer to his family. imagine he would've made the same decision if he was in Vancouver, Edmonton, LA, or any other west coast team.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
In all fairness, Gaudreau wasn't going to stay in Calgary as he wanted to be closer to his family. imagine he would've made the same decision if he was in Vancouver, Edmonton, LA, or any other west coast team.
doesn't change the fact he left the team

next time, Treliving shouldn't sign a player that can walk at UFA status

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
I predicted 13.5. I'm certainly not going to squawk about an extras 500k aav.

Great signing, very, very happy.

For those few complaining, you know what closes the SC window faster than anything? Not signing Drai and McD. Will the salary cap be an issue? Sure. Can it be managed? Of course.

It'll take creativity on the part of management, and some luck, to keep the window open. You know... just like every other team out there.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
One point I thought was interesting was how often top players in the NHL actually become available. This year the top 15 forwards in league scoring were:

1. Kucherov (UFA in 2027)
2. Mackinnon (UFA 2031)
3. McDavid (UFA 2026)
4. Panarin (UFA 2026
)
5. Pastrnak (UFA in 2031)
6. Matthews (UFA in 2028)
7. Draisaitl (UFA in 2033)
8. Rantanen (UFA in 2025)
9. Miller (UFA in 2030)
10. Nylander (UFA in 2032)
11. Kaprizov (UFA in 2026)
12. Crosby (UFA in 2025)

13. Forsberg (UFA in 2030)
14. Reinhart (UFA in 2032)
15. Point (UFA in 2030)

So out of the top 15 talents (not even including guys like Tkachuk and Barkov who are signed until 2030) their are only 7 players that could potentially find new homes in the next 5 years.

Of those 7 players, you have 3 that will be on the back half's of their career in Kucherov (34), Panarin (34) and Crosby (38). Not exactly guys that you can build your future around.

That only leaves McDavid, Matthews, Rantanen and Kaprizov as potential elite building blocks for teams.

It just stresses how hard and important it was to get Draisaitl done. Then when you factor in that McDavid is more likely to sign here it's almost a no-brainer. If you have an elite player you can't let them walk.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty sure they are taxed less on signing bonuses lump sum as well compared to being paid over the ull season
It’s all income.

The signing bonus you just have the ability of getting paid in a lower income state or location if you live there in the off season.

But it gets taxed the same as a regular income

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I predicted 13.5. I'm certainly not going to squawk about an extras 500k aav.

Great signing, very, very happy.

For those few complaining, you know what closes the SC window faster than anything? Not signing Drai and McD. Will the salary cap be an issue? Sure. Can it be managed? Of course.

It'll take creativity on the part of management, and some luck, to keep the window open. You know... just like every other team out there.
Who do we replace Draisaitl with? Lol. What a dumb take by those posters.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Who do we replace Draisaitl with? Lol. What a dumb take by those posters.

It feels like half of this board lives in magical Christmas-land where all their hockey wishes and desires are more than theoretically possible

Anyways, this is an amazing signing, absolutely no way of overstating how important the signing is to the next near decade of this franchise's history.

I will echo that it would have been nice to see just a little less (I was hoping for $13.5 as well), but I also realize that we don't actually live in a magical Christmas-land

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014

He was offered low-ball the summer before (in the 7's or low 8's) and deccided to hold extension talks until the off-season. He almost ended up signing too.

Tkachuk - they had an opportunity to sign long-term and instead did a bridge contract.

Unforced errors.

As for AM and 97 skating together, they're friends and have skated together in the off-season before (Arizona a few years ago).

Connor leaving Edmonton to sign in Toronto would be everything against his character. Nobody wants to take the easy route like Kevin Durant. A cup win in Toronto would not be as meaningful.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was offered low-ball the summer before (in the 7's or low 8's) and deccided to hold extension talks until the off-season. He almost ended up signing too.

Tkachuk - they had an opportunity to sign long-term and instead did a bridge contract.

Unforced errors.

That's the other side of the street of trying to nickle and dime your star players. Yeah a discount is nice, but Calgary would also be an example of a team that thought they were the smartest person in the room and could force their stars to take less and passed on opportunities to sign them earlier.

Unforced errors.

As for AM and 97 skating together, they're friends and have skated together in the off-season before (Arizona a few years ago).

Connor leaving Edmonton to sign in Toronto would be everything against his character. Nobody wants to take the easy route like Kevin Durant. A cup win in Toronto would not be as meaningful.

lol the Leafs are more like the LA Clippers than the Golden State Warriors.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He's earned the contract and if we win one or 2 cups, great. It will be a very difficult contract after that thou. If we don't win and things go sour, this gets ugly even quicker. For now, congrats to Leon, and the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad