Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Can't complain about locking up Drai!

14mil feels a bit a touch steep for what will be the back half of his career, but considering they're past the Covid cap freeze and have swapped the biggest financial drain in the league for what should be a decent market in Salt Lake (+ Seattle being a revenue stream) I wouldn't be shocked to see the cap at or nearing 100mil by the first season of McDavid's new deal.

You gotta think Bowman was trying to get them to come down from 14M to 13.5M but ultimately didn't want to risk it over 500k.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Are people really that mad? Maybe I just have some people blocked.

Some people are indicating that they wish it was less but are happy he’s signed.
I know I have a couple of people blocked. I think that is why sometimes I see a weird response to something I am assuming the person quoted some antagonist that I have blocked.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Fun fact. The Leafs have never played a 3rd round game, in their history.

I love that fact. I heard that a few months ago and it made me laugh. It's crazy that the league has expanded so much since they last won in 1967 that they haven't played a game in the 3rd round.

Reactions: TheNumber4

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Same. Feel like our franchises are almost mirrors lol
As someone who watched the rivalry with the Islanders in the early 80's even during the regular season it was the biggest game of the year. I had so much hated respect for the Islanders

Reactions: SI90

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

*checks notes*

1725401660495.png

Yeah I'm not to worried about what leafs fans think.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Should have played hardball with Leon.

Signing more Derek Ryans is priority #1.

If only we had a slightly better bottom 6, everything would be different.

We could be like the Stars, Nucks, Kings, Knights, or Jets. Tried to remember all the teams that we were supposed to lose to, or not get as deep as because of their vastly superior depth. Might be forgetting a few.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Good they locked him up. But once they extend Bouchard and McDavid, they inevitably turn into Chicago Blackhawks, minus the three cups. This season is the final chance at a cup.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Spent a few minutes at work putting this together for everyone worried about the cap:

1725402730385.png

This year will be easiest to manage. Next year won't be terrible with McDavid still on his contract. It will be the year after that is critical to find cap savings. After that, I don't see why we can't be competitive for the next decade. Players like these will still be difference makers at age 33, 34 and 35.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Are people really that mad? Maybe I just have some people blocked.

Some people are indicating that they wish it was less but are happy he’s signed.
I haven't seen any posts mad about the deal and perhaps curiously don't see the post you are responding to.

This is a great time to be an Oiler fan, a Drai fan, and even an Edmontonian. This is huge.

This is the Gretzky type superstar that STAYED instead of chased more money elsewhere.

Better yet this is the probable confirmation that McD re-ups here as well.

Anybody upset at this deal isn't really thinking through how awful the alternative is.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
In fairness to Janet Jones as well, if Wayne had stayed in Edmonton she would've accepted that. She hit the jack pot marrying the prince of Canada basically (lol) and she knew it, she wasn't going to force him to leave a championship team to film Police Academy movies.

Pocklington f***ed that situation up. If we had an owner like Katz back then, Gretzky would've been an Oiler until at least 1992 or 1993.
Nah, She likely orchestrated more than anybody knows or ever will know. Really if you we're here and saw her larger than life Lady Diana wedding dress with a 100foot flowing trailer (effing ridiculous) and A list wedding you know she was never gonna be long for this city. A primadonna considering how little she was. B list terrible actor that figured she was some hollywood star.

Dustin Penner did worse, just saying...

McD and Drai have far better nicer reasonable partners.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Those are Calgary fans today, happy that their own team has no superstars.

It's the default for anyone that hates the Oilers. On twitter I've seen Nuck clowns spending their summer measuring up the "depth" and how the Oilers' is bad and theirs is so amazing and that's why they're better.

Can't go after the top players. Can't go after results. Those are objectively in the Oilers favour. So to feel better about themselves they have to go after something ambiguous (and irrelevant) - "depth" it is.

Teams that the Oilers aren't purportedly nearly as deep as that they beat over the past three seasons:

- 22 Kings
- 22 Flames
- 23 Kings
- 24 Kings
- 24 Nucks
- 24 Stars

So..... pretty much everyone. If there's no way to rain on the Oilers parade - go after the ambiguous "depth."

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
It's the default for anyone that hates the Oilers. On twitter I've seen Nuck clowns spending their summer measuring up the "depth" and how the Oilers' is bad and theirs is so amazing and that's why they're better.

Can't go after the top players. Can't go after results. Those are objectively in the Oilers favour. So to feel better about themselves they have to go after something ambiguous (and irrelevant) - "depth" it is.

Oh, I know man. I try real hard to block that out of my life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad