Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Clock is ticking, they need to win a cup before this and the McDavid future extension would kick in. This year is the year!

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Anyone have the link for the press conference?
I posted like 4 posts before.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Nah. Team needs to trade every draft pick for rentals and rely on cup chasing vets to rotate in short term for cheap.

People are going to have to get used to the supporting cast around the core pieces being a real revolving door.
Drai and McDavid arent signing here to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines with AHL players. you need good drafting and developing to have good players on ELCs

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Trading every 1st and drafting with the 2nd and later rounds should have been the way to go. Drafting with those high 1sts and not getting anything from them screwed us over time and time again
That is horrible asset management to trade all the firsts for rentals. If they dont have term you dont do it.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Drai and McDavid arent signing here to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines with AHL players. you need good drafting and developing to have good players on ELCs

They're signing to win cups.

You don't do that with players who may or may not be NHL ready by roughly the time McDavid and Draisaitl's careers are winding down.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Meh - I don't like the AAV. I question his desire to win a team game.

Leon, I hope you enjoy playing with Yamamotos the rest of your career and watching teams with depth win the cups.

The curse of having two of the best players in the world is we can't afford depth which is what wins championships. This isn't basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Plenty of quality NHL bottom 6 players available for cheap. Just like we have now.

This isn't even new.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's too late to draft and develop realistically. Look if the scouting department can hit some home runs, no one's stopping them from doing it but realistically even if you hit with a pick in 2025 or 2026 they likely don't make a difference in wins/losses until 2029 or 2030 at this rate.

The more realistic play is to focus on deals like the Podkolzin and Savoie deals where you buy low on former 1st round picks who are already several years past their draft date.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Meh - I don't like the AAV. I question his desire to win a team game.

Leon, I hope you enjoy playing with Yamamotos the rest of your career and watching teams with depth win the cups.

The curse of having two of the best players in the world is we can't afford depth which is what wins championships. This isn't basketball.

Insanely, we nearly won the Stanley Cup this year with a rotating cast of Foegele, McLeod, Holloway, injured Kane and a 40 year old Corey Perry playing with Leon on the second line.

So I guess you're wrong.

"Depth wins cups!!!" is hands down, by far the biggest myth in the game that gets barfed out like it's law. It's complete nonsense. Anyone that thinks that Cups are won based on who is on your third D pair or 4th line is simply wrong.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Fantastic news. No superstar in the history of the Edmonton Oilers has ever played his entire career here. With this Contract Leon could be the first one in franchise history. I wasn't sure it would get done, tremendous news that it is.
1st overall and 104 points RNH. Played all junior and NHL career in Alberta :sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
1st overall and 104 points RNH. Played all junior and NHL career in Alberta :sarcasm:
Not a superstar. Sorry. hehe Drai is the first superstar in franchise history to have been signed up to play his entire career here. Thats some kind of something for a German born player as well. Nobody could predict something like this or that an NHL superstar even would be German born and raised. Thats an aside but..

ps Yes Nuge deserves credit for starting this trend. First one to sign up here for his career.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Fantastic news. No superstar in the history of the Edmonton Oilers has ever played his entire career here. With this Contract Leon could be the first one in franchise history. I wasn't sure it would get done, tremendous news that it is.

Shout out to Nuge for starting this by showing his commitment to the team even through some dark years.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Hell yeah!

Drai, Nuge and McDavid should all be lifers imo.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Only .5M more than I figured. Yeah you take this anytime. Any team in the league would sign this deal that could.
Same here on the .5 more than hoped. That would've sent the message to others (Bouchard, McDavid and every other player) to be willing to sacrifice for the team goal of winning.
People will say it's only 0.5 more than expected, but when not enough players are on value contracts, it will prevent cups.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Insanely, we nearly won the Stanley Cup this year with a rotating cast of Foegele, McLeod, Holloway, injured Kane and a 40 year old Corey Perry playing with Leon on the second line.

So I guess you're wrong.

"Depth wins cups!!!" is hands down, by far the biggest myth in the game that gets barfed out like it's law. It's complete nonsense. Anyone that thinks that Cups are won based on who is on your third D pair or 4th line is simply wrong.
Do you think we'd have been in the finals if 29 wasn't on a 8.5 million salary?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad