Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Well to be fair, this is the move you hope puts the Oilers over the top as a playoff team.

The Leafs are still fairly early in their rebuild (only their 1st overall pick compared to your 4 since 2010).

Maybe, but their whole division looks pretty decent aside from Vancouver. You've got the Ducks, Kings and Sharks. Flames should be better with a real goalie and decent backup. Arizona who knows. Bottom line is making the playoffs in the short term won't be easy for them.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
If you know the Oilers, those thinking this is the worst deal around are wrong. "Losing" the Hall/Larsson deal hasn't made the Oilers a worse team; they're deeper and more balanced now with the Lucic signing.

And while I agree that the tenure is too long - I'd have been thrilled with 5x6M and satisfied with 6x6M - I think it's hilarious how everybody is lumping on this deal specifically.

Okposo (28 yrs) 7x6M
Eriksson (30 yrs) 6x6M
Ladd (30 yrs) 7x5.5M
Backes (32 yrs) 5x6M

My point isn't that Lucic's deal is "great", but rather that it's no worse than what other UFAs got, and that has to be the standard we go by in gauging worth/value.

And I submit that Lucic's relative value to his team will be greater than any of the players listed above. I anticipate 4 years of high level performance, and 3 that show deterioration, maybe significant. That's where the deal hurts. But this was about making a change to benefit short term. The vision is 5 years.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If you know the Oilers, those thinking this is the worst deal around are wrong. "Losing" the Hall/Larsson deal hasn't made the Oilers a worse team; they're deeper and more balanced now with the Lucic signing.

And while I agree that the tenure is too long - I'd have been thrilled with 5x6M and satisfied with 6x6M - I think it's hilarious how everybody is lumping on this deal specifically.

Okposo (28 yrs) 7x6M
Eriksson (30 yrs) 6x6M
Ladd (30 yrs) 7x5.5M
Backes (32 yrs) 5x6M

My point isn't that Lucic's deal is "great", but rather that it's no worse than what other UFAs got, and that has to be the standard we go by in gauging worth/value.

And I submit that Lucic's relative value to his team will be greater than any of the players listed above. I anticipate 4 years of high level performance, and 3 that show deterioration, maybe significant. That's where the deal hurts. But this was about making a change to benefit short term. The vision is 5 years.
Okposo's deal is the only one I would be ok with if my team signed one of these guys. The rest are going to end up hurting these franchises more than likely.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can Lucic keep up with McDavid?

Maroon was the best winger with McDavid last year, and he's slower than Lucic.

You need one fast guy for McDavid and then one guy who will bang/create space/go to the net I think.

Having three speedsters just zipping around all over the place doesn't work well, the Oilers have tried that multiple times.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Can Lucic keep up with McDavid?
Doesn't need to. Maroon who can barely skate at an NHL level went almost point per game with McDavid here. McDavid does better with big guys who can win battles and create space than he does with other fast players. Him and Hall never clicked at all for example yet with Maroon he was dynamite.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Okposo's deal is the only one I would be ok with if my team signed one of these guys. The rest are going to end up hurting these franchises more than likely.

Okposo is the same age as Lucic and more injury prone.

Besides the Oilers have basically the same player in Okposo with Eberle.

Lucic brings 10x more intangiables in terms of physical play, intimidation, cycle presence, better defensively, and the experience of two Stanley Cup runs. Plus Lucic is a LW whereas Okposo is a RW, so Lucic can slide right into Hall's spot.

Maybe for another team Okposo is a slightly better fit, but not for the Oilers, Lucic checks a lot more boxes for the Oilers.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Woof at that contract.

This AAV and term would've been bad for him 3 years ago. The owners just can't help themselves, can they? Just look at how many players have been bought out.

Lucic brings 10x more intangiables in terms of physical play, intimidation, cycle presence, better defensively, and the experience of two Stanley Cup runs. Plus Lucic is a LW whereas Okposo is a RW, so Lucic can slide right into Hall's spot.

Maybe for another team Okposo is a slightly better fit, but not for the Oilers, Lucic checks a lot more boxes for the Oilers.

Nah, Okposo is definitely better. He's a legit 1st liner whereas Lucic is a 2nd liner on his own merit/abilities.

Granted, Lucic will probably put up slightly better numbers than Okposo due to the center he plays with.....

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Huge Taylor Hall fan saying the Oilers improved their team. It helps that I'm also a fan of Lucic and Larsson was high on my list of dmen I wanted the Oilers to acquire.

People need to look past the length of term of Lucic's contract. He's EXACTLY who the Oilers needed. He wasn't going to take a paycut as a UFA and so the Oilers had to add an extra year. Everyone knew it was going to be at least 6x6.

Sucks losing Hall, but I like the new personnel.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
Love, love, love this signing. The extra term was unavoidable as Lucic was a UFA, He fits perfectly, and the Oilers are a better team today than they were three days ago.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Huge Taylor Hall fan saying the Oilers improved their team. It helps that I'm also a fan of Lucic and Larsson was high on my list of dmen I wanted the Oilers to acquire.

People need to look past the length of term of Lucic's contract. He's EXACTLY who the Oilers needed. He wasn't going to take a paycut as a UFA and so the Oilers had to add an extra year. Everyone knew it was going to be at least 6x6.

Sucks losing Hall, but I like the new personnel.

I have come to accept the fact that Oilers management can never do anything right according to these boards.

Lucic is the EXACT player we needed, and we got him. I love all the people saying this is a bad contract, we will let time figure that out.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location

This is bang on. At the same contract I take Lucic over Okposo 11 out of 10 times.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
That's terrible contact. I'll be surprise if he's useful in the 3rd year.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Nah, Okposo is definitely better. He's a legit 1st liner whereas Lucic is a 2nd liner on his own merit/abilities.

Granted, Lucic will probably put up slightly better numbers than Okposo due to the center he plays with.....

If you're suggesting that Lucic's numbers will get inflated playing with McDavid, what can we say about Okposo's numbers playing with Tavares?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Right. On account of his passion, drive, physical play, and point performance. Crap. What have we done??

:help:

Not sure what Lucic you are watching then. I haven't see a lot of drive or passion out of him in awhile.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Why are people still talking about this. It was a great ****ing signing and Edmonton is a better team for it. They look very deep on paper and I think they might finally make the playoffs this year.

Lucic-Mcdavid-Puljujarvi
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Eberle
Maroon-RNH-Yakupov
Who cares

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Nurse
Davidson-Fayne

I bet some of you would sell your soul to have this lineup. Great job Edmonton. Might finally be turning the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad