Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If what LeBrun tweeted is true, the biggest problem with Lucic's contract is that almost half the money is in the form of a signing bonus plus he has a NMC for all 7 years w it being modified to a list of ?? teams in the last two years (but still can't waive). The large signing bonus is not the case with the other contracts, tho I personally think the term is too long on all of them. Too long term (or too high $) is almost standard for July 1st FAs, tho.

NMC is only for 5 years per LeBrun.

Wouldn't a huge signing bonus mean that the later years of his deal are at a dollar amount less than his cap hit?

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
If what LeBrun tweeted is true, the biggest problem with Lucic's contract is that almost half the money is in the form of a signing bonus plus he has a NMC for all 7 years w it being modified to a list of ?? teams in the last two years (but still can't waive). The large signing bonus is not the case with the other contracts, tho I personally think the term is too long on all of them. Too long term (or too high $) is almost standard for July 1st FAs, tho.

Partial NTC (trade list) for the last 2 years which is a bit better. IMO if things aren't working out in Edmonton for Lucic it won't be hard to move him, people aren't usually trying hard to stay in Edmonton when things turn against him.

That's just what I think though, we'll see in the next few years. I'm happy though, I just want my team to improve and Lucic does that

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Partial NTC (trade list) for the last 2 years which is a bit better. IMO if things aren't working out in Edmonton for Lucic it won't be hard to move him, people aren't usually trying hard to stay in Edmonton when things turn against him.

That's just what I think though, we'll see in the next few years. I'm happy though, I just want my team to improve and Lucic does that

Right. That's what I said w the NMC w a list of ? [unknown quantity,unknown conditions] teams that he can be traded to in the last two years.

ETA: It's not a modified NTC. If LeBrun is right, it's a modified NMC bc the only difference between an NMC and an NTC is that you can't be waived w an NMC. Presumably, that part is still in effect the last two years.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Best signing of the day.

Oilers are a much better team today than they were a week ago.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Oiler fans appreciate all of your kind hearted concerns. Most of you guys should be jumping up and down. Lucic is finished in 2 years right. Don't worry about us though. Let our GM handle this albatross of a contract. By far the worst one today.

Thank you once again for your concerns

- Oiler fans

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Cost and length are what I expected. Lucic is what Edmonton needs. Right now, Edmonton is a better team now than before Larsson+Lucic. That being said:

1. We'll see if the length is a problem in a few years. I think it will be because I just can't see Lucic being as effective as the cap hit suggests in 4-5 years.

2. In reference to posters claiming he will be a deterrent for players taking shots at McDavid etc, there's the other side of the sword to that. Lucic can be easily goaded into taking stupid penalties and this isn't the 80's anymore. He will help bring the youth movement along if he stays smart and doesn't chase after bad penalties for things like retaliation. Teams are going to test him pretty often, hopefully he keeps his head on straight.

All in all, congrats to Edmonton. This is a signing they needed imo...term is a bit long but you can't have everything. Looking forward to some fun battle of Alberta games.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Worst case scenario - Lucic sucks (~30 points) in 2 seasons.
Likely scenario - his production falls in 4-5 years. Probably still worth it for the good years of production they got out of him.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
He will be easy to move after 5 years, so many options with cap retention now. If he plays well for the next 3-4 years this is a huge win, upgraded the defence, got much bigger and tougher to play against, and still have a first line calibre left winger replacing Hall while giving the team a much different look.

I'm happy for Lucic, he's a good man and I'm glad he's been financially rewarded.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You surely payed term other teams would not go near.

The Habs offered more. Lets wait and see what the actual salary structure here is too, LeBrun is saying almost half his salary is in the form of signing bonuses, that could mean the last 2-3 years of his deal are well under $6 million in actual $$$, making it like a 5 year contract basically.

Other teams just paid basically the same money to older players like Eriksson and Backes and the same for Okposo who is the same age as Lucic.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Oiler fans appreciate all of your kind hearted concerns. Most of you guys should be jumping up and down. Lucic is finished in 2 years right. Don't worry about us though. Let our GM handle this albatross of a contract. By far the worst one today.

Thank you once again for your concerns

- Oiler fans
This is the neutral board, not the Oilers board.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The issue with this is that by the time Edmonton is a legit contender in 3 years, Lucic will probably suck.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Front loaded means they can just keep him for five years, and when they start running into money troubles with their rookies, they trade him to Arizona, or another team that appreciates low cost, high cap hit players for salary cap reasons.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The issue with this is that by the time Edmonton is a legit contender in 3 years, Lucic will probably suck.

He's only 28, that's only three years older than Hall, lol.

They need some mentorship anyway ... you can't have a locker room of McDavid, Puljujarvi, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Yakupov, Nurse, even Nugent Hopkins and not have someone there who has some real experience and can actually play on the ice.

The only players on the Oilers roster over the age of 30 I believe is Matt Hendricks and Andrej Sekera. Pouliot turns 30 just before camp.

This is still a very, very young team, adding a guy who was a key part of a team that made it to 2 Stanley Cup finals is a big deal.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
In 3 years, Lucic will still have a strong net presence, be great on the boards, along with being the most intimidating regular shift taking hockey player in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad