Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I can't believe this thread is still alive.... and its Part II

I'm sure we all can agree that Nurse is over paid, the term is too long, and he's really not a #1 dman.
However, Edmonton really didn't have any other options that were better and cheaper than Nurse. Some times ya just gotta play the cards you're dealt.

What more is there to discuss?
You're just upset that the Oilers have a number #1 and the Flames best is a #4.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Even Calgary guys are sick of bitching about this. It is what is is and move on at this point. Love it or hate it Holland got his man.

So sick of it they try their best to keep the thread going. Some losers would be better off staying on calgarypuck.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I can't believe this thread is still alive.... and its Part II

I'm sure we all can agree that Nurse is over paid, the term is too long, and he's really not a #1 dman.
However, Edmonton really didn't have any other options that were better and cheaper than Nurse. Some times ya just gotta play the cards you're dealt.

What more is there to discuss?

Uh no, we all don't agree that Nurse is not a #1 Dman and the term is definitely not too long. The AAV is about a $1m or so too high, yes. 8x8 would have been perfectly fine for him considering the market, even a bit higher than that would have been fine.

He has taken big strides in his game every year so I don't see why he'd all of a sudden regress. I predict that there won't be much complaining about his contract by the end of the season.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This is a clearly awful contract, surprised it has this many pages of discussion.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Uh no, we all don't agree that Nurse is not a #1 Dman and the term is definitely not too long. The AAV is about a $1m or so too high, yes. 8x8 would have been perfectly fine for him considering the market, even a bit higher than that would have been fine.

He has taken big strides in his game every year so I don't see why he'd all of a sudden regress. I predict that there won't be much complaining about his contract by the end of the season.
Glad you are happy with your slightly over paid #1 dman then. Thats really all that matters. I hope you are just as happy at the end of the season as you are now. All is good.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is a clearly awful contract, surprised it has this many pages of discussion.
It's a lot of pages but maybe two pages worth of actual content, repeated. It seems there are many who love to poke at Oiler fans and many Oiler fans who like to poke back

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It's a lot of pages but maybe two pages worth of actual content, repeated. It seems there are many who love to poke at Oiler fans and many Oiler fans who like to poke back
Yeah, I guess “discussion” would’ve been more appropriate.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Nobody takes discounts in Edmonton apparently.
This league is going down the toilet, when a player like NURSE signs for 9.25 mill a year there is something wrong with the league, good for him for getting it, but there lies the problem he is not worth no where nears that money and a lot of others getting way overpaid like marner and matthews and tavares from the leafs and its just a few i just named and a lot of others around the league, and this league is a gate driven league, there is deffinitly a problem for the future of the NHL, time will tell.....

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This league is going down the toilet, when a player like NURSE signs for 9.25 mill a year there is something wrong with the league, good for him for getting it, but there lies the problem he is not worth no where nears that money and a lot of others getting way overpaid like marner and matthews and tavares from the leafs and its just a few i just named and a lot of others around the league, and this league is a gate driven league, there is deffinitly a problem for the future of the NHL, time will tell.....
The salary cap is tied to league revenues so what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

Nurse was absolutely a number 1 d-man last season. He will have to continue to play like he did last season for the Oilers to gain full value on the contract.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Well I have taken quite some time to think about this. You either pay Nurse this or he walks. I think him walking is way worse than him being overpaid.
This contract has more to do with keeping Mcdavid/Draisaitl than anything. Having Nurse signed for 4 years passed their contracts is a great way to convince them to stay if things dont get any better.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I’m actually annoyed soo many Oil fans keep prentending things are progressing well. 22-23 we are expected to have around 12 million cap tops to fill 10 spots which includes fully addressing our goaltending. After next season almost a quarter of the teams cap is going to Nurse and near 40yr old Keith and Ceci. The team might have a decent next season but Holland tanked this club for the foreseeable future this offseason. This was supposed to be the off season with cap to address holes and we have the same goaltending, perhaps a worse D and at best we added stop gaps.
If you think the window has slammed shut why bother following?

What are we supposed to do, sit here and wallow in self pity and rag on the team all year? This isn't the DoD.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Okay... lets agree that Nurse is a bonafide NHL #1 defenseman.
Do you think Nurse will be on the 2022 Canadian Olympic hockey team roster? Is he good enough?

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
Do you think Nurse will be on the 2022 Canadian Olympic hockey team roster? Is he good enough?
Yes I believe he will be on the Olympic team

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Yup. Especially on the big ice and his previous solid play with Hockey Canada.

His size, elite skating, and physicality will be a benefit for Team Canada. He's just entering his prime now, I think he'll have an inside track on a spot if he continues his solid play into this season.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Shea Theodore-Alex Pietrangelo
Thomas Chabot-Cale Makar
Morgan Rielly-Dougie Hamilton
Aaron Ekblad

Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Samuel Girard, Brent Burns, Colton Parayko, Josh Morrissey, Jake Muzzin, Bowen Byram.

Nurse could potentially be a #10 on defence :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad