Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This league is going down the toilet, when a player like NURSE signs for 9.25 mill a year there is something wrong with the league, good for him for getting it, but there lies the problem he is not worth no where nears that money and a lot of others getting way overpaid like marner and matthews and tavares from the leafs and its just a few i just named and a lot of others around the league, and this league is a gate driven league, there is deffinitly a problem for the future of the NHL, time will tell.....

have you watched sports at all in your life? your name is patriotfan so im guessing you watch football. Have you seen the salaries given to qbs lately? EVERY single sport in the World eventually goes down 1 path and that's inflated player salaries. #1D guys clearly got severely overpaid this year because there arent many of them in the league.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Yup. Especially on the big ice and his previous solid play with Hockey Canada.

His size, elite skating, and physicality will be a benefit for Team Canada. He's just entering his prime now, I think he'll have an inside track on a spot if he continues his solid play into this season.

I think the only reason he would ever end up on that team is if McDavid makes it happen.

Crosby got Kunitz on the team........

........this would be a similar situation.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If you think the window has slammed shut why bother following?

What are we supposed to do, sit here and wallow in self pity and rag on the team all year? This isn't the DoD.

I think the teams shows improvement the next 2 years but the cap situation moving forward past that is bad. I followed the team thru the decade of darkness, does me saying what I feel management is doing wrong somehow make me not a fan?

Following only when things are and sunshine and rainbows makes you a casual or bandwagoner. Been with the team since 84 and will cheer the team but I won’t blow smoke or be a homer and not state my opinion on individual moves or the big picture cause that’s literally what the boards are for.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Shea Theodore-Alex Pietrangelo
Thomas Chabot-Cale Makar
Morgan Rielly-Dougie Hamilton
Aaron Ekblad

Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Samuel Girard, Brent Burns, Colton Parayko, Josh Morrissey, Jake Muzzin, Bowen Byram.

Nurse could potentially be a #10 on defence :naughty:
I would consider Nurse over all but Makar, a healthy Parayko, Pietrangelo, a healthy Eklad, maybe Chabot/Hamilton/Doughty(might opt himself out). All but Chabot are RHD, so...

Not an EDM fan, btw.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I would consider Nurse over all but Makar, a healthy Parayko, Pietrangelo, a healthy Eklad, maybe Chabot/Hamilton/Doughty(might opt himself out). All but Chabot are RHD, so...

Not an EDM fan, btw.
That list was from about 5-6 different writers predictions for the blue line, not a single person even mentioned Nurse as a possibility. And yes these predictions were in after the season ended. Nurse is a over glorified second pairing/mid tier #2. He isn’t good enough for a best of the best team

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That list was from about 5-6 different writers predictions for the blue line, not a single person even mentioned Nurse as a possibility. And yes these predictions were in after the season ended
I can't take any lists seriously that list Weber. Girard was exposed in the playoffs...Morrissey? Byram over Nurse? Seriously? What lists are these?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think the teams shows improvement the next 2 years but the cap situation moving forward past that is bad. I followed the team thru the decade of darkness, does me saying what I feel management is doing wrong somehow make me not a fan?

Following only when things are and sunshine and rainbows makes you a casual or bandwagoner. Been with the team since 84 and will cheer the team but I won’t blow smoke or be a homer and not state my opinion on individual moves or the big picture cause that’s literally what the boards are for.
Not trying to say you aren't a fan. It just seems strange to say the window has or is slamming shut when they've been on the up and up over the last two seasons. You've been through the gamut and unlike me been around long enough to see them actually have success. I guess I'm just surprised at how many Oiler fans aren't actually happy with the team today because of where they might be in 3 or 4 years. Enjoy the now man, cause I think they might surprise you.

Or you're right, but we won't know for a few seasons. Maybe I'm just too optimistic.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not trying to say you aren't a fan. It just seems strange to say the window has or is slamming shut when they've been on the up and up over the last two seasons. You've been through the gamut and unlike me been around long enough to see them actually have success. I guess I'm just surprised at how many Oiler fans aren't actually happy with the team today because of where they might be in 3 or 4 years. Enjoy the now man, cause I think they might surprise you.

Or you're right, but we won't know for a few seasons. Maybe I'm just too optimistic.

I probably should have been more specific. The team on paper has improved. I like that Nurse has made a long term commitment. I don’t like how the D core changes happened the last few months. I think Holland honestly could have locked up Nurse sooner for less, shouldn’t have taken Keith at full cap hit allowing Chicago to reset the cost on the D market. I think we could have kept Larsson. Holland miss handled waiting on extending him and seemed over the course of the off season to put the nail in Larsson staying. Not a fan of Ceci at 4 years. Not happen to go thru another off season and have this be our goaltending tandem again. The forward lines look improved. We do have some decent prospects coming up but Holland hasn’t done well with the cap. Signing Yamamoto puts us tight and if Puljujarvi breaks out which we all hope how can we afford him? It’s not bleak but certainly but I don’t trust him to win trades or signing great deals. The RNH signing at a lower cap hit probably got my hopes up.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Okay... lets agree that Nurse is a bonafide NHL #1 defenseman.
Do you think Nurse will be on the 2022 Canadian Olympic hockey team roster? Is he good enough?

Nope.

Theodore, Piets, Chabot, Makar, Hamiton, Ekblad, Doughty, Parayko etc are all guys who would make it before him. Then theres other guys who are just a s good as Nurse / would be his competition.

(I'd put Weber too but unlikely he'll be healthy)

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
That list was from about 5-6 different writers predictions for the blue line, not a single person even mentioned Nurse as a possibility. And yes these predictions were in after the season ended. Nurse is a over glorified second pairing/mid tier #2. He isn’t good enough for a best of the best team

Googled "canadian olympic hockey team roster predictions"

2nd result: Projecting potential Canada, U.S. 2022 Olympic hockey rosters - TSN.ca

Craig Button has him listed on the 3rd pairing.

Personally, I think he has an outside shot if they stick to true LHD playing the left side and he gets off to a good start next year but he's in the mix. His skating would be a huge asset on the larger ice surface.

Only time will tell.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
have you watched sports at all in your life? your name is patriotfan so im guessing you watch football. Have you seen the salaries given to qbs lately? EVERY single sport in the World eventually goes down 1 path and that's inflated player salaries. #1D guys clearly got severely overpaid this year because there arent many of them in the league.
your will be allright dude, remember what i said this league is a gate driven league it can't sustain the salaries being given, these gms are out to launch if they think its ok to give these guys the kind of dollars they are getting, they will get fired and team in the near future will start to move or fold, arizona is going to be the first.....

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Nurse would be an excellent choice for Canada's squad. Great skater, tough as nails under-rated in this thread even though he's over-paid.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
The biggest outlier stat was his huge jump in shooting percentage, it was about 3.5x higher than the previous year and slightly less than double his previous all time best year (2016-17). That huge jump of course leads directly to the increased goal count. Unless you think that shooting percentage is the new normal then it is likely his goals will go back down somewhere close to his average next year, somewhere in the 10ish goal range, which will also bring his points back close to where they were previously.

You literally repeated what I said, except in ~100words vs my ~10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad