Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’m actually annoyed soo many Oil fans keep prentending things are progressing well. 22-23 we are expected to have around 12 million cap tops to fill 10 spots which includes fully addressing our goaltending. After next season almost a quarter of the teams cap is going to Nurse and near 40yr old Keith and Ceci. The team might have a decent next season but Holland tanked this club for the foreseeable future this offseason. This was supposed to be the off season with cap to address holes and we have the same goaltending, perhaps a worse D and at best we added stop gaps.

Reactions: Snowman

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Why is this thread still going?
Oilers overpaid Nurse by 1.25M per but oh well. Price you pay to lock up a core player.
8x8 would have been his worth

Time to move on.
Im not so sure

Around one season as a true #1, and during a pandemic, isnt exactly indicative that hes worth the entirety (or even half) of that deal

I have faith Nurse keeps it up but, as of today, hes probably overpaid 2-2.5m

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Nurse is not a #1. This contract is going to sting the Oilers imo.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Nurse is not a #1. This contract is going to sting the Oilers imo.

According to HF every contract will sting them, it is a lose lose scenario. Every team is over paying at the moment, it is just the nature of the game. The contract is not great but it is not as bad as people make it out to be

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He was already 4th in TOI in the entire league. How is the actual F would he have also taken Tyson Barrie’s PP TOI? Play him 30 mins a game? If he had to run the PP which he’s not as good as Barrie on, obviously since Barrie literally lead the league in D scoring those mins have to come from somewhere else.

Barrie was playing full 2min PPs.

If Nurse was given more PP2 unit time(which Drai/McD) were still on, and his PK minutes reduced....it's actually pretty simple

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’m actually annoyed soo many Oil fans keep prentending things are progressing well. 22-23 we are expected to have around 12 million cap tops to fill 10 spots which includes fully addressing our goaltending. After next season almost a quarter of the teams cap is going to Nurse and near 40yr old Keith and Ceci. The team might have a decent next season but Holland tanked this club for the foreseeable future this offseason. This was supposed to be the off season with cap to address holes and we have the same goaltending, perhaps a worse D and at best we added stop gaps.

They had back to back playoff years after two bottom 10 finishes and are better next season so yeah, that's progression.

Holland made some questionable moves without a doubt but saying that Holland "tanked" the team is ridiculous.

The main issue is getting that goaltending addressed, that's the big fail on his part.
I'm not as convinced as you are that the defense is worse. They'll miss Larsson for sure but last years' Larsson, the Larsson of the previous three seasons not so much.
It's essentially Jones or whoever out for Keith, Larsson out for Ceci, and Bear out for Bouchard. I see a clear upgrade, a clear downgrade and a lot more upside at the other spot.
The forwards are drastically improved.

As far as their cap situation is concerned, it'll be tight next offseason but they'll have enough to re-sign Puljujarvi, McLeod and bring in a capable goalie then cap opens up again the next offseason.
I just don't see the gloom and doom here.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Barrie was playing full 2min PPs.

If Nurse was given more PP2 unit time(which Drai/McD) were still on, and his PK minutes reduced....it's actually pretty simple

How is taking your 2nd best PK D off the unit better for the team? So Nurses individual numbers and be better at the expense of the overall team? There a reason why he lead the team in TOI. He’s by far the teams best option. The last thing the Oilers needed to do was reduced his hard mins and matchups. It’s really that simple

Reactions: Mr Positive

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Keith is gone in the relatively short term. I'm curious to see what he can do with Ceci.
I'm not sure where you get 10 spots to fill though. We have 10 free agents with expiring contracts for 22/23, aside from guys who are still longshots to be NHL ready, but not all of those are NHL guys. The only contracts we need to worry about re-signing Archibald, McLeod (RFA), Pulujarvi (RFA) and we need to replace Koskinen/Stalock. Archie shouldn't get a raise if he comes back at all. McLeod will depend on production, he might get a slight raise, but I don't expect him to be above 1M unless he moves up the roster quicker than I expect him to. Pulujarvi? Not sure, 3M unless he has a break out, and sadly, if he has a break out he is likely trade bait. That does leave us some room for a new goalie. It isn't a pretty cap situation, but it isn't unmanageable either. Guys like Perlini, Turris, Russell, Lagesson and probably Benson will all be replaced by internal options or other league minimum players. Holloway, Lavoie, Samurokov and Broberg will all be banging at the door for those spots.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

This post

giphy.gif

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This will be the off-season for EDM that is looked back on as the final nail in the coffin for this current team's iteration.

Slight short-term gain for massive long-term pain. Way too many bloated, overpay contracts brought in.

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
This will be the off-season for EDM that is looked back on as the final nail in the coffin for this current team's iteration.

Slight short-term gain for massive long-term pain. Way too many bloated, overpay contracts brought in.
Got the winning lottery numbers too? Everyone seems to be able to see the future now

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is he overpaid, sure, of course.

Is it his fault, nope.

They made him take a "show me" contract not once, but twice.

Well, he showed them. Now pay the f*** up.

Not a chance in hell he should take a discount after his past dealings with the Oilers.

Which young defenceman that put up comparable offensive numbers last year is signing for a "discount" these days? If you want D-Men that can put up sizable offensive production and play top pairing minutes ... you are going to pay for it.

There isn't really a "well you can have that player but have them on a large discount on top of that" option anymore.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Which young defenceman that put up comparable offensive numbers last year is signing for a "discount" these days? If you want D-Men that can put up sizable offensive production and play top pairing minutes ... you are going to pay for it.

There isn't really a "well you can have that player but have them on a large discount on top of that" option anymore.

Agree fully........

.....the Oilers could have locked him up long-term a couple of times, they didn't.

This is on the Oilers, not Nurse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agree fully........

.....the Oilers could have locked him up long-term a couple of times, they didn't.

This is on the Oilers, not Nurse.

You get some discounts in some places, on others you don't. Draisaitl should be getting paid $11+ million dollars for example.

There's no team that just has discount after discount on every major contract, even the Avalanche are likely going to have to pony up a lot on MacKinnon's next deal and they got no give on the Rantanen, Makar ($9 mill for ELC years) contracts.

Even the Flames, if they want to keep Gaudreau (assuming he even wants to stay), likely have to now pay a premium because he took a bit of a discount on his last deal.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

And if the cap goes up over 90M these deals will look pretty sweet in 2/3 yrs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can't believe this thread is still alive.... and its Part II

I'm sure we all can agree that Nurse is over paid, the term is too long, and he's really not a #1 dman.
However, Edmonton really didn't have any other options that were better and cheaper than Nurse. Some times ya just gotta play the cards you're dealt.

What more is there to discuss?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There isn’t an Oiler fan out there that’s upset that Nurse is an Oiler for 9 more years. The only complaint is the slight over pay. He’s an 8 million dollar Dman making 9.25. He’s at the age now where Dmen start hitting their prime so he could end up being worth the contract in the long run.

Reactions: zar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad