Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Reminds me of when McDavid was negotiating an extension. Everyone (mainly leafs fans and media) was bombarding him to sign min term, 4 years. If he did, he'd be a UFA next summer, at 25 yrs old. Leafs fans thought it was a certainty McDavid wanted out of Edmonton and that he was going to sign a short term deal. Not even 2 weeks of negotiating, McDavid signs maximum term of 8 years, making him an Oiler all the way until 2026. Leafs fans/media: "12.5!! What? McGreedy! He'll never win a cup! Matthews will be so much better than him anyway!". They turned on him real quick, like a bratty toddler that didn't get his cookie before dinner.

This happened entirely in your head.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Nurse is McDavid's best bud on the team. You're mistaken if you think McDavid isn't happy about that deal.

Problem isnt their relationship its the money. McDavid + Draisatl is huge amount of money well its great to have those two but over 9M for Nurse. That gets too big slice off from salarycap. If that would be Makar or Hedman or Heiskanen or Pietroangelo id get that but Nurse is not even close to elitelevel.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I'm sorry, but I just can't but help to giggle to myself at how bad the Oilers are still being run. I mean we certainly have a Pejorative Slur GM running our show bit God, the fans up there deserve better than this. As much as I hate our current GM and coach I'm glad we aren't in the Oilers position and that's saying something.

To the Pens, Rags, Caps and Isles fans out there, thank your lucky stars we have the coach and GM we currently do cause Hextall set this team up to be very dangerous for years to come and these 2 guys are screwing it all up.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You must be mistaken, this isn't the Oilers board.

Take a look at his ice time. The guy was play 25 minutes + in the playoffs. The fact so many other fans are bashing this signing is something I live. I had him signing for 8.5 to 9. That is the price you pay for a player like this.

I think Leaf fans hate this cause Reilly just started licking his lips

Reactions: nerblet

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Reminds me of when McDavid was negotiating an extension. Everyone (mainly leafs fans and media) was bombarding him to sign min term, 4 years. If he did, he'd be a UFA next summer, at 25 yrs old. Leafs fans thought it was a certainty McDavid wanted out of Edmonton and that he was going to sign a short term deal. Not even 2 weeks of negotiating, McDavid signs maximum term of 8 years, making him an Oiler all the way until 2026. Leafs fans/media: "12.5!! What? McGreedy! He'll never win a cup! Matthews will be so much better than him anyway!". They turned on him real quick, like a bratty toddler that didn't get his cookie before dinner.

And the best part, Matthews signs a 5 yr deal, making him a UFA at 26 yrs old, with the obvious intention of going home, right in his prime. Karma is beautiful. They're paying 3 forwards over 11M each, and they point and laugh at us for signing our #1 dman for 9? lmao

Darnell Nurse finished 7th in Norris trophy voting, and for good reason:
-4th in the NHL for average TOI at 25:38
-1st in even strength goals by defenseman at 15
-despite being rarely used on the powerplay with only 7 pp pts, he still finished 12th in pts amongst defenseman with 36
-5th in +/- @ +27
-top 30 in both hits and blocked shots
And he's still only 26 yrs old, taking leaps every season

He's going to be worth every dollar of his well deserved career deal, and I'm escatic our #1 defenseman is ours for the next 9 years. After getting Larsson'd and Bear happy to be leaving, this was the most necessary priority for Holland, and he locked up our cornerstone defenseman. I'm a huge fan the work Holland has put in this summer, and Oiler fans are going to change their minds real quick about this off season come game time

Nurse is a force, that is his strenhgh. Competative, athlrtic physichal, though, strong, somewhat defensive minded. But the Duncan Kieth hockeymind isnt there ..yet.
But he checks many boxes of a D man today. A strong 2 way play while bekng physichal is good for me. I wished 8,25$m for him, but what can you do.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
If Nurse got $8MM per over 7 years, there are many who'd think this was a good if not great deal. I think I misread what the market will bear for a player of this sort. I thought the flat cap would restrict this kind of signing, but I guess not.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ledge And Dairy

Take a look at his ice time. The guy was play 25 minutes + in the playoffs. The fact so many other fans are bashing this signing is something I live. I had him signing for 8.5 to 9. That is the price you pay for a player like this.

I think Leaf fans hate this cause Reilly just started licking his lips
Playing 25 minutes in the playoffs where they got swept shows more the incompetence of Edmonton's d-core than it does make Nurse look elite. End of the day Nurse is a defensive liability, hes good offensively and can hit hard, but is horrible in his own end. Basically a better Ristolainen

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
A discount would have been nice, but I don't blame Nurse for wanting the long term deal at the recently established market value when he was asked to take short "prove it" deals a few times now. He proved it, so pay him his money. I hate the NTC junk, as I always do, but unless he regresses hard, this deal is comparable to comparable defensemen.
No trade clauses in Edm are less powerful. Who says no when they have an offer from most US teams?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Playing 25 minutes in the playoffs where they got swept shows more the incompetence of Edmonton's d-core than it does make Nurse look elite. End of the day Nurse is a defensive liability, hes good offensively and can hit hard, but is horrible in his own end. Basically a better Ristolainen
This narrative is built all around stats that have been largely debunked as a method of assessing a player individually. They work across the whole league because it captures the broad strokes.

All stats need to be taken into context. I'd argue that the context for the Oilers is one of the most unique in the entire league, and that has serious potential to throw these stats way out of whack. One is that this team has McDavid and Draisaitl. A second is the historically bad depth we've had, who were mostly all role players who couldn't cut it 5 on 5 at all. Arguably another one is Smith, who has decent stats, but also a very aggressive and effective puck handling ability.

As a fan of Nurse since the beginning, I can tell you that he is not a one dimensional offensive Dman like Barrie. He is a strong defense-first Dman meant for all situations. He has offensive skills, but they aren't as good as these stats say either btw.

We'll see how this season goes. I'm predicting that a lot of these bad stats for Nurse will completely flip just because the team has become more sane in terms of our depth. It might not be the best depth, but at least it isn't arguably league-worst anymore.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This narrative is built all around stats that have been largely debunked as a method of assessing a player individually. They work across the whole league because it captures the broad strokes.

All stats need to be taken into context. I'd argue that the context for the Oilers is one of the most unique in the entire league, and that has serious potential to throw these stats way out of whack. One is that this team has McDavid and Draisaitl. A second is the historically bad depth we've had, who were mostly all role players who couldn't cut it 5 on 5 at all. Arguably another one is Smith, who has decent stats, but also a very aggressive and effective puck handling ability.

As a fan of Nurse since the beginning, I can tell you that he is not a one dimensional offensive Dman like Barrie. He is a strong defense-first Dman meant for all situations. He has offensive skills, but they aren't as good as these stats say either btw.

We'll see how this season goes. I'm predicting that a lot of these bad stats for Nurse will completely flip just because the team has become more sane in terms of our depth. It might not be the best depth, but at least it isn't arguably league-worst anymore.

Thank you for posting this.

People can talk certain stats but ignore other stats the big picture is that Nurse is good in his own zone and was better than Larsson. Posters talk about advance stats or analytics but fail to back it up with video of actual play.

There is a reason why certain internet gurus bombed when they got hired by pro clubs.

During the lockdown I paid to do an on line course that many people who work with sports analytics. And when there was a q and a one of main professors made it clear, when talking about pro sports you need to equate it to actual play to explain and defend the numbers. One the guys on the course started a rebuttal where he said " I run a popular hockey ananalytics website." Before he could finish, the proof asked "What was highest level in team sports did you compete in?" The response was high school and when he asked why. ,"Just curious" when the guy asked him what level did the proff did. All four proff raised NCAA rings and said they were all starters when they won their rings. (2 were basketball and 2 were football).

That lead to a fun debate when the guy taking the course said you did not have to play at a high level or use video to defend and explain analytics.

The argument some gave was fun

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Problem isnt their relationship its the money. McDavid + Draisatl is huge amount of money well its great to have those two but over 9M for Nurse. That gets too big slice off from salarycap. If that would be Makar or Hedman or Heiskanen or Pietroangelo id get that but Nurse is not even close to elitelevel.

You sleeping on Nurse clearly. Nurse is effective on both sides of the rink, he’s an impact defenseman who has just entered his prime years. Solid signing by Edmonton.

Reactions: nerblet and zar

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This never happened.

You are delusional lol

Reactions: TheStroker

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Surprised how many hockey fans on this site are so ignorant about this player.
Or how many fans can see beyond McDavid and realize he isn’t a good player? Nurse is at best a #2 defenceman now being paid like he’s a top 15 defender in the league

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
D men gettin PAID! Imagine what Philly is going to have to pay Risto to not have wasted that much obtaining him. I'm sure there will be tons of people justifying that too. fwiw, I like Risto.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Reminds me of the Habs' Patrice Brisebois signing all those years ago. Decent player that no one really expected much from until he got that contract. All downhill from there. Time will prove who is right.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Thank you for posting this.

People can talk certain stats but ignore other stats the big picture is that Nurse is good in his own zone and was better than Larsson. Posters talk about advance stats or analytics but fail to back it up with video of actual play.

There is a reason why certain internet gurus bombed when they got hired by pro clubs.

During the lockdown I paid to do an on line course that many people who work with sports analytics. And when there was a q and a one of main professors made it clear, when talking about pro sports you need to equate it to actual play to explain and defend the numbers. One the guys on the course started a rebuttal where he said " I run a popular hockey ananalytics website." Before he could finish, the proof asked "What was highest level in team sports did you compete in?" The response was high school and when he asked why. ,"Just curious" when the guy asked him what level did the proff did. All four proff raised NCAA rings and said they were all starters when they won their rings. (2 were basketball and 2 were football).

That lead to a fun debate when the guy taking the course said you did not have to play at a high level or use video to defend and explain analytics.

The argument some gave was fun
Why do you have to play at a high level? How many coaches were AHL players? How many GMs played at the NHL level? How did Gretzky's coaching career go? Evaluating talent and playing the game are two completely different things. You sound like Kevin Lowe I have 4 rings I must be a great GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad