Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Objectively overpaid by anywhere between 2.0m and 2.5 million per year. Or 25%-35%.

Nurse @ 6.75-7.25m over 8 years would have been a fair to great deal.

If this is the Leagues. Worst. Contract, ya boy Coleman making 4.9 for 30 points isn't far behind.
Not even close.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I said #1 defensemen.

Pelech played the 3rd most minutes among Islanders defensemen. 60 defensemen league wide played more minutes. He plays tough minutes and has been a great shut down defenseman, but I wouldn't say you can put him as a #1 defenseman at this point.
Well he's better than Nurse, so if Nurse is #1 Pelech obviously is as well.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
So many trolls in this thread. Nurse finished in the top 10 for Norris voting. He's a legitimate #1 defenseman.
That doesn't mean shit. He is not in the top ten of dmen in the league. I have my doubts he will even make Team Canada in 2022, so he is at best, barely top ten in Canada.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I said #1 defensemen.

Pelech played the 3rd most minutes among Islanders defensemen. 60 defensemen league wide played more minutes. He plays tough minutes and has been a great shut down defenseman, but I wouldn't say you can put him as a #1 defenseman at this point.
Pretty sure Pelech led the isles in ice time during the playoffs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This. Look at Makar. $9M is what Norris candidates get as RFA's now, not UFA's.
Sure. But you’re comparing apples to oranges. Makar is a Norris level D. Nurse is more like a top 20 guy imo. That Makar deal is going to be a steal. He’s going to win a couple of Norris trophies imo. Sakic is one of the best out there.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sure. But you’re comparing apples to oranges. Makar is a Norris level D. Nurse is more like a top 20 guy imo. That Makar deal is going to be a steal. He’s going to win a couple of Norris trophies imo. Sakic is one of the best out there.
the true apples and oranges is the UFA vs RFA distinction. There's no telling what Makar would get if he were an impending UFA, with the GM losing all leverage. If he's a true Norris winner calibur of Dman (the best of the best), we are talking top of heap in salary, so 12+ million? It's not just top forwards who can demand top dollar.

There's no sense bringing up Makar or Pelech in this thread. If you want to compare, go with apples to apples, ie the simplest ones in the same cap environment: Hamilton, Werenski, Jones

Or, if you want to go with earlier signings, at least go with cap percentage instead of total dollars

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
the true apples and oranges is the UFA vs RFA distinction. There's no telling what Makar would get if he were an impending UFA, with the GM losing all leverage. If he's a true Norris winner calibur of Dman (the best of the best), we are talking top of heap in salary, so 12+ million? It's not just top forwards who can demand top dollar.

There's no sense bringing up Makar or Pelech in this thread. If you want to compare, go with apples to apples, ie the simplest ones in the same cap environment: Hamilton, Werenski, Jones

Or, if you want to go with earlier signings, at least go with cap percentage instead of total dollars
Sure. I was more responding to the inference that Nurse was a Norris candidate. I see him as more like a top 20 type guy but without the track record of some of his peers. Makar is just on a whole other level.
Nurse is overpaid by about $1.5 million compared to the other recent signings imo.

Reactions: Mr Positive

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He might be a #1 d-man (I still take Petry over him next year, easily), but he's certainly not a 9.25M$ AAV d-man lol

I think he is a 9.25 million AAV defenceman. I think he probably would have got more than that as a UFA next offseason, tbh.

You have to consider that not only were his stats this year amazing, but he played the longest and hardest minutes of any defenseman in the league.

On top of that, Nurse is a physical machine that enjoys the more violent side of the game. Having that on the ice for 25 minutes a night is crazy valuable and nhl teams, rightly or wrongly, pay a huge premium for that. Look at guys like Wilson, Reaves, Lucic or Ferlund get paid on the open market compared to guys with identical boxcars that don't throw them. Now add that percentage premium to whatever you think Nurse is worth based on his boxcars, and I guarantee that number is over 9.25 million.

Nurse gets jumped by a guy whose 6'7 240 and not only does he hold his own, but he hits Greenway to hurt him, and does. Greenway couldn't get to the box without the official holding him up and missed the next 5 games. Meanwhile, the Oilers turn around and win the game. How many guys in the league can have a guy like Greenway get the jump on them, then recover and win the fight? Maybe 5? Now how many of them are even close top pairing quality defenseman? Nurse is the only guy in the league. With that in mind, even trying to compare his contract to say Werenski or Jones is laughable because they just don't have that in them.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pelech isn’t a number 1 nor does he play number 1 minutes/matchups.

Nurse is also a better player than Pelech.

Disagreed. Pelech is a rock. Nurse is pretty poor defensively and isn't really all that good offensively despite his numbers this past year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Disagreed. Pelech is a rock. Nurse is pretty poor defensively and isn't really all that good offensively despite his numbers this past year.

Where does he rank for even strength production the last 3 years amongst all D men?

For being so poor defensively it’s crazy how he can end up +27 in 56 games. But I guess some chart somewhere also shows Martin Marincin is an elite #1 D man as well, so who knows?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Where does he rank for even strength production the last 3 years amongst all D men?

For being so poor defensively it’s crazy how he can end up +27 in 56 games. But I guess some chart somewhere also shows Martin Marincin is an elite #1 D man as well, so who knows?
How's he do without McDavid on the ice?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sure. I was more responding to the inference that Nurse was a Norris candidate. I see him as more like a top 20 type guy but without the track record of some of his peers. Makar is just on a whole other level.
Nurse is overpaid by about $1.5 million compared to the other recent signings imo.
This idea that Nurse is bad defensively seems so new to me. It seems mostly dependent on looking at stats. I respect stats, so I'm open to the idea that Nurse has work to do on his D game, but I also know that stats are deeply effected by the team around the player. The Oilers have been very disjointed.

Nurse had the raw tools to be a great defensive player. Every stage of his career, hes had doubters in our own fanbase even. Hes always proven them wrong. Hes still young and the team around him is getting better, so I think he can prove them wrong again

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I said #1 defensemen.

The only Isles D to have more AVG TOI in each of the last 3 playoffs is Adams D-partner Ryan Pulock, and it's not by much and only because Pulock plays on the PP. Please tell us more about the team we actually watch though.

He doesn't play 30 minutes a night, because the rest of the Islanders defense isn't trash.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's either got a crappy agent or he wants to win and took less. I'd bet on the former.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He's either got a crappy agent or he wants to win and took less. I'd bet on the former.
He took a discount. Everyone brings up the RFA vs UFA thing but the gap between the two has shortened significantly.

Look at Matthews and Marner coming off their ELC. Truth is if a RFA wants to be difficult and demand top dollars and hold out they can these days.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He took a discount. Everyone brings up the RFA vs UFA thing but the gap between the two has shortened significantly.

Look at Matthews and Marner coming off their ELC. Truth is if a RFA wants to be difficult and demand top dollars and hold out they can these days.
Elites have been proven to get close to UFA dollars in RFA years. That's likely because the threat of offer sheets is more present. I suspect even though we don't hear so much about them being signed, they are still be offered more than we know about.

But that could be used to talk about someone like Makar. I don't see it with Pelech, who has bounced around the Isles' top four for years and isn't known for a lot of offense. The GM had leverage with him. The Pelech contract is great for the team no doubt, and has the potential to be better with Leddy gone and his role expanding. I still don't see this situation as much similar to Nurse's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad