Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
please give 5 reasons why he was voted over Hedman, Makar, 16 goal 30 minute, +27 Nurse ?

Rangers didn't even make the playoffs ... but this guy is winning Norris trophies ? lol cmon man.

If McDavid gets shutout scoring 100 plus points when the Oilers Fail to qualify. wtf is Adam Fox doing winning Norris trophies ....with 5 goals and tons of secondary assists. Might as well Barrie in the Norris mix too he won the D scoring race ....

Its Eastern Bias. If Fox was playing anywhere in the West... he would be brushed aside.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
please give 5 reasons why he was voted over Hedman, Makar, 16 goal 30 minute, +27 Nurse ?

Rangers didn't even make the playoffs ... but this guy is winning Norris trophies ? lol cmon man.

If McDavid gets shutout scoring 100 plus points when the Oilers Fail to qualify. wtf is Adam Fox doing winning Norris trophies ....with 5 goals and tons of secondary assists. Might as well Barrie in the Norris mix too he won the D scoring race ....

Its Eastern Bias. If Fox was playing anywhere in the West... he would be brushed aside.

I would kind of agree with you but McDavid won the Hart again and Draisaitl won it the year before. Nurse got Norris votes (I think 7th?) so that bias you are referring to might not be as pronounced as you think.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
With this contract I would expect to see Nurse on the #1PP unit with Barrie. He better put up another 16+ goal season.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Nurse's offensive game is completely overblown.

75% of his goals were against back ups and third-string goalies, he scored 2 against Markstrom, one against Price and one against Halley. Thats it, measly 4 goals against legit starters make you an offensive dynamo apparently.

A bulk of his offensive output was against Ottawa, while that team was going through the worst stretch in the franchise history.

Good luck repeating that next season, Darnell.

BTW one has to wonder how Nurses's contract sits with Draisaitl.

Holy shit you went through all of his goals? Weird. Did you save the data?

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With this contract I would expect to see Nurse on the #1PP unit with Barrie. He better put up another 16+ goal season.
Nah, I'd rather we dont just inflate Nurse's totals with PP time.

He's already a top tier 5-on-5 scorer, good on the PK, a physical force, and eats a lot of minutes. He just has to clean up his Dzone play a little and Oiler fans will be more than happy with the contract

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

There was massive and widespread voter fraud in the awards, sadly no courts wanted to hear the evidence.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I posted this on the Oilers board as well.

Nurse was top 5 for NHL D in:

ES Goals (1st)
Goals (2nd)
ES Points (4th)
+/- (5th)
PIM (4th)
SOG (4th)
TOI/GP (4th)
TOI Total (3rd)
ES TOI (1st)
ES TOI/GP (2nd)
TOI/Shift (2nd)

Nurse was top 20 for NHL D in:

Hits (15th)
Blocked Shots (18th)
Takeaways (20th)
Major Penalties (12th)
Points (14th)

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013

What are Fox's defensive metrics like? I ask because I'm not an advanced stats person at all. It goes right over my head.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
I can't believe Nurse is getting Makar money. Yes he has proven more all around but he doesn't impact the game like Makar does.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
I posted this on the Oilers board as well.

Nurse was top 5 for NHL D in:

ES Goals (1st)
Goals (2nd)
ES Points (4th)
+/- (5th)
PIM (4th)
SOG (4th)
TOI/GP (4th)
TOI Total (3rd)
ES TOI (1st)
ES TOI/GP (2nd)
TOI/Shift (2nd)

Nurse was top 20 for NHL D in:

Hits (15th)
Blocked Shots (18th)
Takeaways (20th)
Major Penalties (12th)
Points (14th)

This is only because he skates on Mcdavids wing and can’t do anything himself. Right guys?

lol at leaf fans crapping all over this deal. Enjoy a declining Tavares and his 19 goal seasons at 11 million per season.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Love how you casually throw Nurse in here. Lol.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I know everyone wants their turn putting down every move the Oilers make since their own teams are almost always lower in the standings every year, but some of you are straight up nuts. Yes he is overpaid by a million or two. Consider the alternative...

People need to realize that Nurse is irreplaceable for the Oilers. This is their #1 defenseman, they're not getting a repacement #1 defenseman during McDavid's prime years ANY OTHER WAY. The hoops that they would have to jump through and the MASSIVE assets that they would have to give to acquire a comparable #1 defenseman, just for the HOPE that they could sign this new guy long term for a million or two cheaper, is just absolutely stupid to even think about. Anyone thinking otherwise has no clue what they're saying, and no viable solution to put forward. Play hardball and offer no more than 7.5 you say? And let the season start and get closer and closer to seeing him walk? Cause you want to save a mill? This is armchair GMing at its finest.

You've got a top guy willing to re-sign in Edmonton, which is on almost every players' No-Trade list by the time they're his age if they're good enough to warrant having one. Just pay the extra million and be damn happy he even wanted to re-sign there. Cause if he didn't they'd be completely hooped.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Using the word "steal" in terms of this contract is just as rich as Nurse just became. Or maybe as silly as Holland was for signing this albatross of a deal.

Absolute massive hit for an albeit very good but not elite defensemen.

Idk, I would tend to agree this deal will look better with age. Nurse is still getting better.

But usually when the Oilers sign a core player its the same chorus of crap about how its a bad deal.

Confirmed Signing with Link: - [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

This is going to be a bad deal. He's a product of McDavid. If he plays on his own line next year, I'd be surprised if he broke 50 points.

Confirmed Signing with Link: - [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Expensive. The kid is a very good player... but damn is that not an expensive contract based on one very good season and playoffs.

The Oilers are going to regret this, you can't play this kind of player this much money.

I believe the splits go 60% GF with, and 44% GF without? That's an enormous difference.

Draisaitl is a good player but there's no reason that he should be paid this much more than Tarasenko or Gaudreau.

8 years, $8.5 million is an awful lot for a player who doesn't really produce well without McDavid.

they skipped the winning part and jumped straight to the cap hell stage.

Sucks for Oilers fans, this was the final nail in the coffin.​

No hometown discount that's for sure. Was this even a negotiation or did Draisaitl just name his price?

Bawhahaha! This will be the worst contract in the NHL going forward easily. Without McJesus Drai is a 50 point player. Love it!:laugh::laugh:

Lets see... how many of those exact arguments have been used in this thread?
  1. Product of McDavid
  2. Unproven (because poster hasn't been watching them play)
  3. Paid more than similar comparable (even though the similar comparables are not really that comparable... Ofcourse Drai makes more money than Monahan, ofcourse Nurse makes more money than Werenski...)
  4. He scores X% of his points with McDavid when he plays X% of his time with McDavid! Thats not sustainable!
  5. "Thats X players making Y dollars! You can't win like that!" (even though there are countless examples of other teams doing just that, and the Oilers problems are not their core players, its their lack of depth (which has been remedied a lot this offseason) and shite goaltending (still shite).)

Oh look, thats all of them. And the majority of the comments in both threads. :popcorn:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Idk, I would tend to agree this deal will look better with age. Nurse is still getting better.

But usually when the Oilers sign a core player its the same chorus of crap about how its a bad deal.

1. Product of McDavid
  3. Paid more than similar comparable (even though the similar comparables are not really that comparable... Ofcourse Drai makes more money than Monahan, ofcourse Nurse makes more money than Werenski...)
  4. He scores X% of his points with McDavid when he plays X% of his time with McDavid! Thats not sustainable!
  5. "Thats X players making Y dollars! You can't win like that!" (even though there are countless examples of other teams doing just that, and the Oilers problems are not their core players, its their lack of depth (which has been remedied a lot this offseason) and shite goaltending (still shite).)

Oh look, thats all of them. And the majority of the comments in both threads. :popcorn:

Reading a lot of those

laughing-hysterically.gif

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
There's a big difference between UFA and RFA contracts.
Good point.

I suppose this is just exhibit A of the benefit of signing a core, star player long term right after their ELC vs bridging and then signing long term.

Reactions: nerblet

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

1. Product of McDavid

Great job putting that post together.

Reactions: TheStroker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad