Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Mcdavid 12 million (cap 75 million when signed)

nurse 9 million (cap 81.5 million)

draisaitl 8 million(cap 75 million)

what a funky market

So Nurse is now worth over a million$ a year more then draisaitl with only a 6 million overall cap increase?

and only 3 million less the Mcdavid

crazy.

Should use the cap numbers of when the contracts actually “kick in” though to be fair

The cap has increased 8.67% since Draisaitl's deal.

Draisaitl is actually making $8.5M and Nurse is making 9.25M. both signed one year ahead of RFA/UFA.

$8.5 x 1.0867 = 9.23M

Different situations though... Draisaitl was a 77 point guy coming off a dominant playoff performance. Edmonton was also buying RFA & UFA years.

Nurse was in a much stronger position as a pending UFA, lack of internal replacement, and doesn't have the same room to improve that Draisaitl had (though nobody expected 100 points from Draisaitl at the time).

Reactions: Chayos

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, his ice time will stay high.....but it's unlikely he will be getting more.

Yes, he'll continue to play the bulk of his minutes with McDrai.....but it's unlikely he will be getting more.

No, I'm pretty sure I saw it in a chart earlier that over the last 400 games he has shot at a 4.something% clip. He was close to 11% this year. So, your snippy comment aside, I think the shooting will fall back to his norm, which will effect his totals.

Points could increase if he takes Barrie's place on the PP, but I don't see that happening because he need to play the PK, and he's already played too much. And, that's what they have Barrie for.
I don't think it will stay at 11%, but given the way his game emerged last year, I don't think its unreasonable to expect his % to stay higher than the 4% either. Before last season, he really only shot from the point. Last season, he scored a number of goals on the rush, which is an element to his game that most didn't realize he even had.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
...your D may have improved offensively, but neither Keith or Ceci are going to be able to replace what you lost defensively in Larsson, imo...that's going to be the issue for the Oilers as I see it; the team is still weak defensively and Smith can't keep kicking the shyte out of Father Time forever...not to mention if he gets injured and you have to run with Koskinen...Holland didn't pay enough attention to the #1 issue that's been hampering Edmonton's ability to become a true Cup Contender; tightening up the Team Defense...
I agree, I'd like to have a shut down guy on the back end still, but Larsson chose Seattle and we had to do what we could. Which wasn't much, as there wasn't really any true shut down defensemen on the market that Edmonton had a chance at. They'll need to do it by committee, and that's something that Tippett does have a history of. You're speaking to the choir in terms of needing a shut down guy, and I expect Holland will still be on the hunt for one, just as I expect he will still be on the hunt for an upgrade in net. I would be shocked it Holland didn't trade Edmonton's 1st rounder in next years draft sooner or later. I used to think it would be for a forward. Now I expect it will be for a shut down defenseman or a goalie. Either way, going into last season nobody liked Larsson much either, he had a resurgence last year, but we'll see what shakes out of things.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We'll have to agree to disagree on him improving year over year. I'd think you'd find it difficult to get that agreement even from your own fan base. I'll give you that he seems to be a bit polarizing on your Board, same with many players, Nuge stands out, Eberle before him.

I'm by no means saying he's a bad player, we all know that's not true. I'm just saying he had a great year, better than he's ever been by a fair margin, during a one off crazy season where all the stars aligned.

There is not an Oiler fan, that at the beginning of the 20/21 season, who would have ever green lighted a $9.25 x 8 contract. You would have been laughed off the site. You would have called for Holland's head. But now, 9 months later, under odd circumstances, circumstances that played into Doc's hands, he's worth it?

Like 9 months ago, I figured he was worth $7-7.5mm on a long term deal, and that would have been on the high side. His one year has not swung the needle that much to justify that deal in my opinion.

Clearly, it can go either way......I'm sure you are hoping that it goes the same path as Drai did. If it does, it will be a home run. But, there is a chance he falls back to his "norm" and it gets ugly, quickly.

I think I see the issue here. You think last year was a one-off. Unfortunately, that doesn't matter much, as we've seen guys time and time again get a huge pay day a year after one big season. Nurse was bound to be an exception.

You are correct in thinking that no Oilers fan would have touched a 9M deal for Nurse before last season. That's because no Oilers fans would have expected Nurse to emerge as a top 10 defenseman. That's not just due to circumstances, if you watched him play last year, you saw how dominant he was at both ends of the ice. You can't just ignore a break out season for a player and use that to determine his value, that's not how it works.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think I see the issue here. You think last year was a one-off. Unfortunately, that doesn't matter much, as we've seen guys time and time again get a huge pay day a year after one big season. Nurse was bound to be an exception.

You are correct in thinking that no Oilers fan would have touched a 9M deal for Nurse before last season. That's because no Oilers fans would have expected Nurse to emerge as a top 10 defenseman. That's not just due to circumstances, if you watched him play last year, you saw how dominant he was at both ends of the ice. You can't just ignore a break out season for a player and use that to determine his value, that's not how it works.

Well, I mean, I can. I recall everyone saying Eberle was going become the next greatest thing due to one year of unsustainable Shooting %........Oiler fans assured us all that he was just really picky about his shot selection and he would continue to put up gaudy totals.

I understand it could go either way. In fact it could go three ways. He lives up to the contract, he underperforms or more realistically he bounces around between the two.

I don't think it's crazy to say that in a year where he played with two of the best forwards in the league A LOT, shooting far beyond his norm, lighting up the Sens 9 times, not exactly playing in a defense first division, could give some folks pause.

It's all moot anyway, he was getting paid as soon as we saw the D contracts getting thrown around, no matter what.

And good for him, why should he take a discount?

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I want to go on the record and say I think Nurse will outplay this contract for us. He had the tools and shows it enough to know he has it, now with soem maturity and experience I feel he will show he is worth those dollars. Do I wish he was dealt with another way earlier in the process? Of course, but we are here now and we have our #1 Defenceman, a deep top 6 with two of the best players in the game. Things are looking up and we will shoudl see 3-4 years of great oiler hockey with no contract headaches of note.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I want to go on the record and say I think Nurse will outplay this contract for us. He had the tools and shows it enough to know he has it, now with soem maturity and experience I feel he will show he is worth those dollars. Do I wish he was dealt with another way earlier in the process? Of course, but we are here now and we have our #1 Defenceman, a deep top 6 with two of the best players in the game. Things are looking up and we will shoudl see 3-4 years of great oiler hockey with no contract headaches of note.

*Cough* Goalie *Cough*...........

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well, I mean, I can. I recall everyone saying Eberle was going become the next greatest thing due to one year of unsustainable Shooting %........Oiler fans assured us all that he was just really picky about his shot selection and he would continue to put up gaudy totals.

I understand it could go either way. In fact it could go three ways. He lives up to the contract, he underperforms or more realistically he bounces around between the two.

I don't think it's crazy to say that in a year where he played with two of the best forwards in the league A LOT, shooting far beyond his norm, lighting up the Sens 9 times, not exactly playing in a defense first division, could give some folks pause.

It's all moot anyway, he was getting paid as soon as we saw the D contracts getting thrown around, no matter what.

And good for him, why should he take a discount?
You're ignoring everythign but the goal scoring still. There is more to Darnell Nurse than goals.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
*Cough* Goalie *Cough*...........

That will be the difference on winning a cup I would think. I think its the Oilers' achilles heel and Holland has to know this. He has had a busy couple of weeks, so lets let him work his plan as he already had a deal in place to flip Koskinen so I will reserve judgement for now. I like our forward core now and with our youth coming up I think that the forward and defence depth is good, so getting a goalie that can play for thw next 5 years is essential.

Answer:

Gibson

Paper

Nov 4, 2009

4.15M in dead space, expected to go up next year as any bonuses earned will be automatically applied as the Oilers will be over the cap this season (Klefbom on IR). Keith making 5.5M as a 39 year old next season. Koskinen making 4.5M this year as a backup (until Smith falls). Then you have Kassian making over 3M.

So even if the very iffy contracts handed out this year to Nurse, Hyman and Smith work out, there's still a lot of bad cap issues with the Oilers. The entire front office is praying that Keith retires or they are f***ed and they know it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This is pretty classic Ken Holland. Nurse is a good defenseman, but not a 9 million dollar defenseman. Strap on... I mean strap in Edmonton fans, KH will always overpay to keep someone on the team, and most of his contracts age like milk.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
The cap has increased 8.67% since Draisaitl's deal.

Draisaitl is actually making $8.5M and Nurse is making 9.25M. both signed one year ahead of RFA/UFA.

$8.5 x 1.0867 = 9.23M

Different situations though... Draisaitl was a 77 point guy coming off a dominant playoff performance. Edmonton was also buying RFA & UFA years.

Nurse was in a much stronger position as a pending UFA, lack of internal replacement, and doesn't have the same room to improve that Draisaitl had (though nobody expected 100 points from Draisaitl at the time).

ooouuuuu 8.67% I’m sorry but Nurse is not EK in his prime. I just find this deal ridiculous

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
4.15M in dead space, expected to go up next year as any bonuses earned will be automatically applied as the Oilers will be over the cap this season (Klefbom on IR). Keith making 5.5M as a 39 year old next season. Koskinen making 4.5M this year as a backup (until Smith falls). Then you have Kassian making over 3M.

So even if the very iffy contracts handed out this year to Nurse, Hyman and Smith work out, there's still a lot of bad cap issues with the Oilers. The entire front office is praying that Keith retires or they are f***ed and they know it.
Or they know he is going to retire already and had to pay a 3rd and Jones for next years cap benefit. Conspiracy theory? Probably. Possible? Yes.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Or they know he is going to retire already and had to pay a 3rd and Jones for next years cap benefit. Conspiracy theory? Probably. Possible? Yes.
I don't think it needs to be a big conspiracy theory. Stanley Cup, Norris, Conn Smythe winning defenseman, there's nothing left for him to accomplish especially with Edmonton. If he wasn't thinking of retiring, another pitiful season in a dreary city will probably be enough for him especially when he takes another paycut.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Oiler do indeed have some bad contracts and lots of dead space though.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
All these ridiculous contracts only tell me one thing: it's not a question of if, but when the NHL will have another lockdown. GMs just can't help themselves. Nurse at that cap hit is ridiculous.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I don't think it needs to be a big conspiracy theory. Stanley Cup, Norris, Conn Smythe winning defenseman, there's nothing left for him to accomplish especially with Edmonton. If he wasn't thinking of retiring, another pitiful season in a dreary city will probably be enough for him especially when he takes another paycut.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Oiler do indeed have some bad contracts and lots of dead space though.

Serious question......

Has there ever been a player retire leaving money on the table?

Hell, I think some have even played in the AHL to ensure the eked out the last dollar of their contract.

I don't see anyone walking away from millions, for any reason.

But, that's just me......

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Serious question......

Hell, I think some have even played in the AHL to ensure the eked out the last dollar of their contract.

It's only one million in the last year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Serious question......

Brian Rafalski retired one year before end. Did let 6M on the table.

Was killed about injuries, but didn't choose LTIR way.

Also Hasek did let some money (3M? gave it back) on the table, when didn't reach some level he had set for himself.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Serious question......

Kiprusoff did. His was the first of the "retirement contracts" and when his contract went from 5M in 2012-2013 to 1.5M in 2013-2014, he retired before the 2013-2014 season as everyone expected he would do when he signed in 2007 (similarly with Luongo when his contract went down significantly). Keith, coincidentally, is scheduled to make 1.5M next year.

Had Kovalchuk not left for the KHL, Suter and Parise not been bought out, and Pronger, Savard and Hossa (and Weber?) injured, I bet they would have retired prior to their contract expirations as well.

I think the question is if there is any of the front loaded "retirement" contracts that will (or has already been) actually honoured all the way through?

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
ooouuuuu 8.67% I’m sorry but Nurse is not EK in his prime. I just find this deal ridiculous

I'm not a huge fan of the price paid either... but I didn't set the price and glad we didn't lose the asset.

I have no idea where Erik Karlsson comes into this at all... but his contract was 14.47% of the cap the day he signed it. Nurse is 11.35%. Those are not at all comparable... not to mention Karlsson signed his at age 29 vs Nurse signing his at age 26 (coming into effect at 27). If signed today, Karlsson's contract would be $11.8M... so I guess Holland and Nurse's agent agree with you too?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

EK was not even in his prime when he signed that contract not to mention he 2as coming off a series injury. It's safe to say EK is a shadow of his former self and was severely over paid and is litterally in top 5 worst contracts in the NHL

Nurse has yet to play a game under his new contract amd won't for another year amd yet all the nostradomus on this site continue to say its to rich. I see alot of people eating crow sooner then later

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
A lot of people saying Holland gonna Holland, but really I think his hands were tied from some of the other contracts given out.

It is a lot, no doubt about it. But not like the Oilers could trade him or lose him for nothing. This was the market price, and it had to be paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad