ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think he's the perfect type of playoff performer the league needs and misses dearly from the 80-90's. We used to be a league full up on power forwards. I hope we get back to that.
I love the power forward types…. Was a big perry fan…. Love guys like Marchand, tkachuk, benn, getzlaf and schenn.

Unfortunately it’s kinda a dying breed… but hopefully guys like Brady and Matthew can bring it back.

Knies plays like a power forward if he can pan out completely.

So far Thachuk has had a good round and a half and has helped his team get to the... 2nd round

He's the only worry after the first game... he CAN be a Vezina-caliber goalie... he also can be terrible. Hoping the latter is what ends up happening.

Actually, Samsanov is worrisome too, he is very inconsistent.
He had a pretty good playoff last year… but Calgary just wasn’t a very good team. And even in his early series he was pretty effective he just couldn’t get the scoring going.

Reactions: Drytoast

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I love the power forward types…. Was a big perry fan…. Love guys like Marchand, tkachuk, benn, getzlaf and schenn.

Unfortunately it’s kinda a dying breed… but hopefully guys like Brady and Matthew can bring it back.

Knies plays like a power forward if he can pan out completely.
We used to have a league full of power forward riches. But then we went all in on penalizing them heavily because...you know? Physical contact is frowned upon these days.

Hopefully the value of such a player will be valued more.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Does anyone else get a 21-22 Panthers feeling about the Leafs this year? Winning a round was all they were focused on and once they got to the second round they got stomped because they had already "achieved their goal"?

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Does anyone else get a 21-22 Panthers feeling about the Leafs this year? Winning a round was all they were focused on and once they got to the second round they got stomped because they had already "achieved their goal"?
If Bob plays like Vasy did in that series last year, plan the parade.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We used to have a league full of power forward riches. But then we went all in on penalizing them heavily because...you know? Physical contact is frowned upon these days.

Hopefully the value of such a player will be valued more.
Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the mcdavids Barzal and marner of the leagues. But physical hard nosed hockey is my true love.

On the flip side the league didn’t do a good job protecting those smaller skill types, and we never really got to see how good a guy like kariya truly was

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Ok just admit the reality and move on. lol. I know it and you know it. Florida is having a hard as hell time supporting two NHL franchises. If you didn't do the ban your attendance would be majority blue and white. It is what it be.

But we don't do it... Look, you are trying to bend the narrative but are missing the mark my friend. lol. Here I will spell it out. My statement isn't that it's a new thing...my statement is why they felt the need to do it to begin with. And the reality as to why that is. Keep up!

:sarcasm:

WTF are you talking about? Florida's attendance has been on the rise over the last few seasons, and has been a sea of red over the playoffs during that time as well. Get off your high horse, and stop talking nonsense. Dumb ass comments like yours are what makes everyone hate your fan base.

Tampa is 4+ hours away from Sunrise, on the other side of the state. South Florida has millions of people willing to spend a dollar on sports, as long as it is worth it. Lets see how great your fan base would be if they sucked for a majority of their existence, had multiple coaches and GMs, sold off star players for pennies on the dollar, were constantly lied to and cheated by previous owners. I bet you wouldnt be such a big shot now.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
That’s too simplistic an analysis. Bob didn’t score 4 goals with only one PP. Four goals wins most playoff games.
Both goalies were really good. I just don’t see the penalties going 6-1 in favour of any team going forward. This is an extremely even series. Florida’s D has been the biggest difference so far imo as compared to Toronto’s. Toronto’s D needs to make fewer mistakes.
They weren't 6-1 last night. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The penalties were 3-1 with less than a minute left, until an obvious high stick double minor with :37 seconds left. The Cats also scored on a delayed penalty with the extra man on. Not a PP goal by definition, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Math is hard, I know. :huh:

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
7kdn6i.jpg

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Incorrect. As I said you score 4 goals with only one PP you win most playoff games regardless of how your goalie plays. Too many blunders by the Leafs D. That’s not on Samsonov.
I actually thought Samsonov played quite well. Similar to Bob, had a handful of nice saves that prevented a goal. I agree, things really weren’t in his favor in terms of making it easy on him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Can't feel too upset, that was a great hockey game, and I felt like Bob stole one from us.

Not sure how we will handle that Tkachuk line, I think the goal will be to just try to limit the damage they do on the scoreboard and try to win the other matchups.

Samsanov had a weak game, but like he said "sun comes up tomorrow".

Thursday we will get back into the series.

As is tradition, avatar text changed to maximize full rollercoaster effect on emotions.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
They weren't 6-1 last night. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The penalties were 3-1 with less than a minute left, until an obvious high stick double minor with :37 seconds left. The Cats also scored on a delayed penalty with the extra man on. Not a PP goal by definition, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Math is hard, I know. :huh:

It’s super interesting how Leafs fans will use raw penalty counts to prop up the theory of a ref conspiracy when it suits them, but when the skate is on the other foot we need to look at the context behind each call. Funny how that works.

I can't recall the last time so many huge open ice hits happened all in one Leafs game:

I like that unlike the Lightning series, the other team just got up and kept playing hard rather than scrumming every clean hit.

McCabe also went -3, too bad one hit doesn’t offset that.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Talking as if a team is a “gift” means you think you’re gonna sweep and have an easy round. Toronto fans really are planning the parade.

No it absolutely doesn't. That is you putting words in people's mouths. It means the Panthers are objectively a worse team than the Bruins and the Leafs are more likely to defeat them.

Reactions: seventieslord

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Kinda surprised about game 1. Panthers like to play high scoring games. I expected the Leafs offense to overpower the Panthers. I guess I was wrong.

Montour is the new Cale Makar!

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
It’s super interesting how Leafs fans will use raw penalty counts to prop up the theory of a ref conspiracy when it suits them, but when the skate is on the other foot we need to look at the context behind each call. Funny how that works.
What did I say that is wrong? Were the PP's 6-1? Or were they 3-1 with under a minute to go? And were the Cats called for two blatantly obvious high sticks?

They were the second-most penalized team in the league this year. Only an uneducated hockey fan would be surprised by the penalty differential last night.

Let me help you:

1683122941233.png

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Just watched the highlights from Dangle's stream and saw that Matthews should have gotten an interference penalty for moving Bob's stick out of the crease o the play before RoR got high-sticked. You can't move a goalie's stick away from him if he loses it. It's a clear penalty that wasn't called and ended up w/ the Leafs getting a double PP.

24:58

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Is the leafs game actually on Sunday because the Florida owner has a horse in the f***ing kentucky derby?
Dunno if that’s the reason but the NHL really botched the scheduling for this series. Really bizarre decision making.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
I had this series being Boston vs Tampa so who knows. Florida beating Boston seemed more improbable than Toronto beating Tampa so I'll go with Cats in 6

Reactions: Two4Fighting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad