ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mitch Marner enjoys playing the Flordia Panthers. 33 points in 23 career games. Only team that is higher is Ottawa, 36 points, but that is in 31 games.

Interestingly, Auston Matthews only has 22 points in 22 career games against the Panthers.

John Tavares has 41 points in 42 career games.

William Nylander tends to struggle against the Panthers, with just 18 points in 26 career games.

Ilya Samsonov is 3-1-1 lifetime against the Panthers, with a .915 sv% and a 2.89 GAA.

Reactions: behemolari

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Really? Tkachuk has averaged 1.32 pts/game over the last 2 seasons. Matthews has averaged 1.30 pts/game. Matthews is a better goal scorer. Tkachuk is a better playmaker and brings a better physical/agitation game.

It's certainly an argument.

Matthews is the reigning hart winner, perennial 50/60 goal scorer, and a beast on defense who had a down regular season due to injury.

Tkachuk is a great player, but Matthews is #1

Reactions: authentic

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I mean, he's the only player on either team to score 100+ points in each of the last two seasons.

Last 2 years:

Tkachuk: 213 pts in 161 games (1.32 pts/game)
Marner: 196 pts in 152 games (1.29 pts/game)
Matthews: 191 pts in 147 games (1.30 pts/game)

Considering the unique physical and agitation aspects he also brings, not sure why that's an lol.
You can easily run up points if you cheat on defense. Tkachuk's defensive numbers are below league average. He has talent but playing like that might bite him in the ass against an elite group.

• Haha
Reactions: Boothinator

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
The media wants a Toronto vs Edmonton finals because not having a Canadian champion since 93...people want something different. Nobody needs another damn Florida -no state tax- Championship. We've been there, done that.

Doesn't mean that's not what we are going to get though. I think Florida wins this.
Lol ya I know why they're doing it, just seems funny the amount of articles I've seen over the last two days saying just that. As if there aren't better things to write about ahead of an insanely exciting Round 2 :laugh:

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Mitch Marner enjoys playing the Flordia Panthers. 33 points in 23 career games. Only team that is higher is Ottawa, 36 points, but that is in 31 games.

Interestingly, Auston Matthews only has 22 points in 22 career games against the Panthers.

William Nylander tends to struggle against the Panthers, with just 18 points in 26 career games.

Ilya Samsonov is 3-1-1 lifetime against the Panthers, with a .915 sv% and a 2.89 GAA.
Marner feasts on the Panthers almost every game. Kid is scary out there. He and Matthews are my biggest fears this series but Tavares seems to love eliminating the Panthers so ya know.

Ilya struggled last year against the Cats in Washington in Round One, 1-3-0 in his 4 starts with a .901 save %, not that it means much now.

Reactions: Ratsreign

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Main question for me is whether or not the Panthers blew all of their load on the Bruins.

If not, do they have enough juice left in the tank to blow away those pesky leafs?

My heart is all-in on the cats, but I think I gotta give this one to the leafs. That said, I was 3/8 on picks last round, soooooo...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner feasts on the Panthers almost every game. Kid is scary out there. He and Matthews are my biggest fears this series but Tavares seems to love eliminating the Panthers so ya know.

Ilya struggled last year against the Cats in Washington in Round One, 1-3-0 in his 4 starts with a .901 save %, not that it means much now.
These are 2 very different teams. Florida plays a crazy aggressive offense and is rarely outshot. This year, the leafs seem to shoot a lot less but convert at a higher rate. Just wondering about the rough stuff. I think that will be dished out on both sides. Tkachuk loves to crowd the net and Schenn loves to plow people away from it. Wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn and Gudas go in game 1

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

I think Samsonov is a very different goalie now tbh. He still has moments where he swims and if he does Florida will score 5+, but overall he's become very economical in net and uses his athleticism only when required

The Toronto goalie coach deserves a lot of credit for his work with Sammy.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I keep seeing that the Panthers are some really physical team and Toronto will fold... how much more physical are they than the Lightning? Cause I'd argue the Leafs took it to the Lightning.

Gudas is probably the only person on Florida that is somewhat scary... but he is reckless and often takes a penalty cause he goes chasing.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Uh, check Samsonov in the playoffs last year against the Panthers…

Reactions: JKG33

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Looking forward to this series, should be fun hockey. If im the Keefe im telling Bunting to get under Tkachucks skin. Dallas did that last year and Tkachuck essentially removed himself from the series because he just wanted to hit and piss people off. Pretty sure he injured himself doing it too and wasnt very effective against the Oilers in round 2.

The potential issue there is that Bunting shares a similar affliction, in that he's a decent pest, but can also be easily provoked and goaded into doing something stupid.

Hopefully he has turned a corner after sitting part of the last series.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I keep seeing that the Panthers are some really physical team and Toronto will fold... how much more physical are they than the Lightning? Cause I'd argue the Leafs took it to the Lightning.

Gudas is probably the only person on Florida that is somewhat scary... but he is reckless and often takes a penalty cause he goes chasing.
Both teams are insanely physical. When it comes to hitting/physicality, this series is guaranteed to be a war.

Reactions: Leksand and Kelly

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
During regular seasons the Leafs have been quite reliable in having weak games when they don’t feel pressure or are complacent due to weaker opponent etc., so I think the Panthers have a chance just because the weight of the curse is gone and could totally see Panthers win the first game while the Leafs are kicking back.

It also seems Barkov could be more of a factor as a potential upside. When he is on, I think he’s fantastic in tilting the ice and will his way. Hasn’t been the case so far this season and not last year’s playoffs, so maybe unlikely (maybe some nagging injury?) but i really hopes he can step it up.

Panthers in 7

Reactions: seventieslord

behemolari

öh¨ns-ä
Dec 1, 2011
Leafs have the path now. Boston couldn’t handle the mental pressure of expectations. Will be interesting to see if the Leafs can with expectations now raised.

This seem to be agenda. Just too hilarious, wonder how Florida players are feeling, they just eliminated "strongest team ever" with very respectable effort yet they still are overlooked and underdogs against team which advanced first time ever. This is going to be fun.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Both teams are insanely physical. When it comes to hitting/physicality, this series is guaranteed to be a war.

Ya, that is what I think too, it'll be a physical series... just wasn't seeing how Florida was going to dominate here.

I think this is going to be a fun series to watch.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Should be interesting to see if the Leafs try to get in Bob's grill like they did Vasi's and try to get a lot of seeing-eye shots through from the point. Vasi was obviously frustrated, and admitted it prior to Game 5 with his x-ray goggles comment.

Leafs scored a LOT of greasy goals in Round 1 by getting in front of Vasi.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Washington fans and evidently management couldn't wait to fire him into the sun, and yet he has been excellent for the Leafs. Maybe a change of scenery, maybe talent finally maturing, maybe a better team in front of him, maybe a goalie coach who gets him. Maybe a combination of those.

I will say this though, he did what no other goalie could mentally handle and played his best when it all mattered in the Toronto spotlight. So until he can't do it he has earned the right to believe he will.

Also let's not pretend Bob is the most mentally sound goalie out there either. He has basically made a career of being unbelievable until the pressure is on. How is Bob going to react if the Leafs put 7 or 8 goals on him tonight? Samsonov has proven he can reset after that happened to him in game 1

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Matthews is the reigning hart winner, perennial 50/60 goal scorer, and a beast on defense who had a down regular season due to injury.

Tkachuk is a great player, but Matthews is #1
He has scored over 50 once. Not sure what definition of perennial you are using but that's not it. Who is better (Matthews vs Matthew T) is a moot point, the point that matters and will be decided by this series is which team is better.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He has scored over 50 once. Not sure what definition of perennial you are using but that's not it. Who is better (Matthews vs Matthew T) is a moot point, the point that matters and will be decided by this series is which team is better.

Look closer at the covid shortened seasons. They are 50 goal seasons in any normal season

By a country mile

Reactions: authentic

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

He should have just said, "The two years before this season (since he's been injured all season), he was pacing for over 60 goals".

It would have been more accurate and impressive.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

But this season Samsonov vs last year Samsonov... its not even close

Samsonov still only 26, still pretty young for a goalie and still imprive since last season. Hes one of 8 best goalie this season. if we watch goalie who still alive and how they played both regular season/ playoff, for me Samsonov is second best goalie remaining behing Oettinger... Samsonov was a difference maker in 1st round.

So im probably more worried about Bobrosvky 2 had 2 tradh game and 2 good game + terrible regular season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad