ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I suspect that if Maurice has his way, Auston Matthews will see a ton of Alexander Barkov, and Bennett/Tkachuk will try to attack John Tavares.

On the flip side, if Keefe gets his way, I suspect he'll look to turn Bennett/Tkachuk into a distraction by giving them a healthy dose of ROR, Acciari, and maybe Bunting.... while he looks to get Matthews out against Lundell.

Will be interesting to see if Keefe continues 11/7, or goes back to 12/6. I'd imagine that at home, Marner will probably play with Tavares & Knies against Barkov. On the road, you'd probably want Marner/Matthews against Barkov, but probably don't want Nylander & Tavares against Bennett & Tkachuk.

Personally, I think the smartest thing the Leafs could do on the road is isolate Matthews. Give him Bunting & Jarnkrok and take Barkov out of the game shutting down Matthews.

Give that Tavares line the best possible chance of coming out on top of Bennett/Tkachuk with Marner & Knies.... and make your 3rd line a real scoring threat with Acciari, ROR, and Nylander against the Lundell group.

The one big difference between last years Panthers team, and this years team, aside from the personnel on the ice, is the coaching staff. They are more experienced, and Maurice is better at making adjustments than Brunnette was. AB was a deer in headlights against the Caps and Bolts.

Barkov will probably be matched up at times with the AM34 line, but I would not be surprised to see Lindell against him as well. He has really improved towards the end of the season, and the last few games against the Bruins.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Well the media is convinced the Oilers are playing the Leafs in the finals so I don't even know why they're bothering to play this series to be honest.
The media wants a Toronto vs Edmonton finals because not having a Canadian champion since 93...people want something different. Nobody needs another damn Florida -no state tax- Championship. We've been there, done that.

Doesn't mean that's not what we are going to get though. I think Florida wins this.

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
Leafs just need to get out to an early 3-1 series lead like BOS, then go from there:popcorn:
We don't want to end up with bounties on our heads when we beat them in FLA again. It would be a massive crime to keep beating Floridan teams at their home over and over. Florida people have a life.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Should be a good one tonight. We're down to the best 8 teams in the league. This one could go either way. Panthers slight favourites in my opinion for beating the Bruins.

• Haha
Reactions: The Podium

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
What does that have to do with anything? They are in a transition year, with a new coach, and new bodies. Some temporary, some not. They are better coached than last years team, and play a more structed 200 foot game. Nobody is saying they are favorites in this series, just that they will not be an easy out, which they proved against the Bruins.
Maurice is more or less a proven failure as a coach though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Gl tonight Panthers as the series starts. I think it will be a close one all the way through. Both teams have a potent offence so we could be in for some entertaining and crazy games.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs can't win a series in 20 years now they're going to apparently steam roll a very motivated Florida team in 5 games max.
Why do you think the Leafs are going to "steam roll a very motivated Florida team in 5 games max."?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Here's how the Leaf skaters stack up (82 game paces)

Playoffs
PlayerGPP/GPGoals/82P/82
Mitchell Marner
2​
11​
1.83​
27​
150​
Auston Matthews
5​
9​
1.5​
68​
123​
Morgan Rielly
3​
8​
1.33​
41​
109​
Ryan O'Reilly
2​
7​
1.17​
27​
96​
John Tavares
4​
7​
1.17​
55​
96​
William Nylander
2​
7​
1.17​
27​
96​
Matthew Knies
0​
3​
0.6​
0​
49​
Mark Giordano
0​
2​
0.33​
0​
27​
TJ Brodie
0​
2​
0.33​
0​
27​
Calle Jarnkrok
1​
2​
0.33​
14​
27​
Noel Acciari
2​
2​
0.33​
27​
27​
Justin Holl
0​
1​
0.2​
0​
16​
Sam Lafferty
0​
1​
0.2​
0​
16​
Zach Aston-Reese
1​
1​
0.2​
16​
16​
Alexander Kerfoot
1​
1​
0.17​
14​
14​
David Kampf
0​
1​
0.17​
0​
14​
Erik Gustafsson
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Timothy Liljegren
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Michael Bunting
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Luke Schenn
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Jake McCabe
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Leafs have the path now. Boston couldn’t handle the mental pressure of expectations. Will be interesting to see if the Leafs can with expectations now raised.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
The primary difference between Toronto's offense and Boston's offense is Toronto can play at multiple speeds. They've shown the ability to outscore their issues if need be and they are an excellent transition team. They prefer to play low event hockey but if you push them, they can play high event hockey as well. Boston really never adjusted to Florida's pace and ended up letting them dictate the flow of the game.

Toronto was able to torch Tampa in Game 2 playing their preferred style of play. They overcame a 4-1 deficit in Game 4 using their transition play. They turtled up in Game 6 and edged Tampa 2-1.

Another thing about Boston? David Pastrnak was an absolute bum in the series. People give Marner shit for his playoff series with Montreal, they should be doing the same for Pastrnak now that he's being paid $11.25 million. He put up 5 goals, only 2 at even strength, had no assists. Boston was outscored when he was on the ice at 5v5.

He's Boston best offensive threat and was outscored by Tyler Bertuzzi.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Good morning Panthers fans. Are we ready for some chirping today? :laugh:

Really hoping the Leafs blow you guys out otherwise will be a long 48 hours the amount of smack I have talked. If we win the smack talk goes up to 15 tho

• Haha
Reactions: Mez and AvroArrow

The Management

Jun 8, 2009

Really hoping the Leafs blow you guys out otherwise will be a long 48 hours the amount of smack I have talked. If we win the smack talk goes up to 15 tho

:laugh: I was sort of low key looking forward to some chirps between you and TkachucksPestControl, but I haven't seen him around here yet.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Florida has an advantage in that if Bob craps the bed, they have Alex Lyon to go to. But if Samsonov craps the bed, the Leafs have to go with rookie Woll. Matt Murray has spent more time on the IR than dressed in uniform. This signing could backfire for the Leafs. :huh: Hope Samsonov can hold the fort.

Bob vs Samsonov. Neither are great goalies so we will see a good share of terribly weak goals scored this series. It will come down to which goalie plays less garbage.

How many games has Lyon played in the NHL? I thought he was a rookie like Woll? I’d never heard of him before this year at least

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

giphy.gif

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The Leafs are favourites certainly. Your Regular season record vs Florida now means nothing, just ask Boston. Tkachuk should know how to best get under Marners skin then, probably has some juicy liners waiting just for him.

Seriously I hate the Leafs so I cheer for anyone they play other than Calgary, then I just wish for an earthquake to hit the arena.

But Tkachuk and Bennett will make you hate them before this is over, win or lose.

Best of luck, should be a good series.

Bunting: “wait until they get a load of me”

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Looking forward to this series, should be fun hockey. If im the Keefe im telling Bunting to get under Tkachucks skin. Dallas did that last year and Tkachuck essentially removed himself from the series because he just wanted to hit and piss people off. Pretty sure he injured himself doing it too and wasnt very effective against the Oilers in round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad