ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Barkov will definitely get the Matthews matchup. That'll be a battle.

After that you have Bennett, who had a whale of a series against the Bruins, and Lundell.

Panthers will have to count on their young legs and pace being more important than experience and savvy over the course of the series.

That's the thing Barkov may not get the Matthews matchup, the first 2 games are in Toronto which means Keefe controls the matchups allowing him to keep Matthews away from Barkov if he chooses

Reactions: DirkStraun

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Judging by the multiple threads I've read and countless comments, Leaf fans think this will be an easy series.

Hope it doesn't bite them in the ass
I think the percentages between leaf fans and Panther fans are equal. You just can't fill a school bus of panther fans.

Reactions: DirkStraun

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
yup I think it was 1916 when they ditched the Ross and went to the Enfield, Thats awesome that your a WW1 historian.
IMO early WW1 is the epitome of the industrialized world vs old world tactics. Just imagine a calvarly charge against machine gun nests, just insanity

Yes that’s correct. Thanks and it was certainly a time where the world changed.

Cheers!

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yep. The Leafs themselves are a low-pace team. They prefer to hold the puck in the offensive zone rather than trade rush chances.

They may want to make an adjustment against FLA to open it up more though.
Great advice because the Leafs never played the panthers before.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I have a feeling Florida will get absolutely destroyed in Game 1. Coming from that high of a feeling, it's gonna be tough two days later.

Then things will settle out, but expect Toronto to win.

Reactions: Kurtz

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That's the thing Barkov may not get the Matthews matchup, the first 2 games are in Toronto which means Keefe controls the matchups allowing him to keep Matthews away from Barkov if he chooses

Matthews vs. Barkov since the start of 2017:

TOI: 113 minutes.
xGF%: 64%-36% Matthews
Goal differential: 11-1 Matthews

I think a key for the Panthers is to try and shelter Barkov away from Matthews no?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is the series that would have been great to watch last year. No team is easy come playoffs, teams who win a round are even more hungry so it wlll be a good series in my.opinion.

Objectively, the Leafs have the edge due to their depth, defensive focus and special teams. Also, if Sansonov remains stoic he will be a difference maker.

Consider, we have guys like Kerfoot and Bunting who have played 1st and 2nd line duty this year and/or last, they are now in the bottom six. Leafs have 9 NHL calibre D Men.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Maybe. Not sure why he would though. Matthews is their top dog. Let him go up against Barkov. Tavares/O'Reilly both need the easier matchup to be effective. Matthews doesn't.

Reactions: seventieslord

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This is a really interesting one. Toronto should win in 5 or 6. Bob is inconsistent, Florida's D looks not great.

But at the same time, Florida has some really physical players in Tkachuk, Bennett and Gudas that also play big minutes. Bob also has the potential to be the most influential player in the series, for better or worse

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Leafs took down a team that had gone to 3 straight finals and won 2 of them, and had gone to 4 finals since 2015.
True but most objective hockey people would agree that this year's Tampa team was certainly not as good as 2 and 3 years ago and even not as good as last year's team.

Reactions: Tobyboy

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Is there a full schedule known for this? Hoping to go to a Jays game May 15thbin Toronto which could be right around a potential game 7. Wondering how much of a gong show I may have to deal with.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Maybe. Not sure why he would though. Matthews is their top dog. Let him go up against Barkov. Tavares/O'Reilly both need the easier matchup to be effective. Matthews doesn't.

The other side of that is keeping Matthews away from Barkov allows him a significant matchup advantage if he chooses

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
Matthews vs. Barkov since the start of 2017:

TOI: 113 minutes.
xGF%: 64%-36% Matthews
Goal differential: 11-1 Matthews

I think a key for the Panthers is to try and shelter Barkov away from Matthews no?
Barkov will be dogged by ROR and Acciri. He can bark all he wants until he can't Barkov anymore.

• Haha

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Not the second round pairing I was expecting, but hey, this is at least a new one! I just want high speed and skill hockey for once instead of the usual physical hockey we have usually in playoffs.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

The Leafs shut down the 2 best playoff performers in the NHL 5v5. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Tkachuk

To add to this, Brodie when on the ice versus Kucherov:
59.03 xGF%
59.09 HDCF
3-2 in goals for

So the numbers are even better when you isolate the time on ice against one another. TJ Brodie is one of the best shutdown defenseman in the league this year. Elite metrics all season long and he just led the shutdown of one of the best playoff players in this generation. Whoever ends up being matched up against him will have their hands full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad