ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I'm talking from a media narrative.

If Boston made it through and the Leafs lost to them, the sentiment would have been, "Bruins were the best regular season team in history but the Leafs made great progress. They slayed the Tampa dragon and this was the Last Dance for Boston. What can you do. Next year is their year."

If the Leafs lose to the Panthers, the sentiment will be, "Wow, what a blown opportunity. They lost to a wildcard team. Were the Leafs actually good or was Tampa just exhausted and injured?"

The last 24 years have seen a massive swing in expectations.

I don't think it'll faze the Leafs, and I do think they win in 7, but the pressure is definitely squarely on them. Nobody is picking Florida.
You seem to be underselling your team, or looking for some sort of validation, more than Leaf fans or media.

The Panthers are a very good hockey team and will give the Leafs all they can handle.

The Leafs are favoured, as they should be. But I don’t think anyone would be overly shocked if the Cats win this series, given what they just accomplished.

It’s not an insult.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I got the Leafs winning, but I don't think Leafs should underrate the Panthers because they finally "won." Both teams are flawed but got by through effort and desire. I much prefer Bob over Samsonov, but I do think this series will be much more open than the teams each team faced in round 1. I think Leafs will have fun against the Panthers PK, but I sense a mistake-filled series that will be fun to watch.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You seem to be underselling your team, or looking for some sort of validation, more than Leaf fans or media.

The Panthers are a very good hockey team and will give the Leafs all they can handle.

The Leafs are favoured, as they should be. But I don’t think anyone would be overly shocked if the Cats win this series, given what they just accomplished.

It’s not an insult.

Not a Panthers fans. Just interested in the changing dynamics of pressure in the playoffs. I disagreed with your point that if the Leafs lost, the season would still be looked at as a success since they slayed the round 1 dragon. That would have been the case if they had lost to the Bruins, not the Panthers.

I'm curious to see how the Leafs respond.

A similar scenario happened in the NBA as soon as the Bucks lost in Round 1 too. If the Knicks had lost to the Bucks, Knicks fans would still have gone home happy. If they lose to Miami? There'll be a lot more heat on them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Or Florida played better than Toronto...

Tkachuk scored 11 points. Montour scored 8. Verheaghe scored 8.

The big dogs for the Panthers showed up, just like they did for the Leafs. Bobrovsky made as many big saves in elimination games as Samsonov did.

Trying to diminish what the Panthers pulled off is bizarre.

The Bruins finished with 37 more points than the Lightning. But yes, the Leafs were the ones who had the tougher opponent.

It's funny, all we heard going into the playoffs was that Tampa wasn't what they used to be. They were older, slower, tired. Now, all of a sudden, the Leafs took down a team at the peak of their dynasty...

The Leafs took down a team that had gone to 3 straight finals and won 2 of them, and had gone to 4 finals since 2015.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
That begs the question what does Toronto have that Bruins didn't. Panthers just beat the most complete and best NHL team in history.

I have a feeling Cats are going to put on another spectacular show. How couldn't they after what they just did to Boston?
A first round victory? More wins than losses vs Florida? A future?

Reactions: BayStBullies

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Rumoured lines for game 1.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Jarnkrok- Tavares - Nylander
Bunting - ROR - Accari
Kerfoot - Kampf - ZAR

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Not a Panthers fans. Just interested in the changing dynamics of pressure in the playoffs. I disagreed with your point that if the Leafs lost, the season would still be looked at as a success since they slayed the round 1 dragon. That would have been the case if they had lost to the Bruins, not the Panthers.
And, as a Leaf fan, I am telling you you
are wrong. If we lost to the Bruins, most Leaf fans wouldn’t have seen the season as a success. As relieving as it is to finally win, one round means shit to this fanbase.

The dragon most Leaf fans wanted to slay wears black and gold.

But, yes. I think most Leaf fans believe if they play how they can against Florida, they should win. So, a second round loss would be disappointing but don’t be mistaken. Another loss to Boston would have been just as disappointing. There would be no moral victory.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ah ok, I honestly had no idea, or I just forgot, thanks! That actually is a great story.

I am going to give you a slight correction to the story however, as I'm a WW1 historian and I have been to this battlefield many times.

The first time the Germans used gas was at the 2nd battle of Ypres, Belgium. The Canadians had in fact recently taken over from the French in French trenches which were in a terrible state. When the gas attack came 2 medics in the Canadian lines knew it was chlorine gas and instructed the men to pee in their handkerchiefs and breathe through that, as the acidic urine would crystallize the chlorine gas. However to their left and right the French Colonial troops broke and ran.

Furthermore the rifle the Canadians used was the crappy Ross Rifle, as the politicians in Canada wanted a Canadian made rifle for the troops and not the fantastic British made Lee Enfield. The Ross rifle was prone to jamming and in the muddy trench conditions the rifle was constantly jamming. So you had a Canadian soldier breathing through a urine soaked hanky with one hand and firing this shitty rifle with the other, while his mate behind him was kicking the breech open with his foot unjamming the weapon and trying not to blow his head off in the process. The Canadians actually retreated but not after several counterattacks where they did win some ground back.

The famous Brooding Soldier statue near St Julien Belgium stands today as a commeroration of the battle and this battle also inspired the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae.

View attachment 701052

The Canadians had a well earned fearsome reputation by the Germans, who always wanted to know where the Canadians were, as they knew that was where the main Allied attack would always come.

So how in the hell do you expect me to hate the Leafs anymore after a story like that?!?!?!?!

Damn you Leaf fans LOL...

Good luck to you, but it will be fun to watch Tkachuk drive you guys nuts.
yup I think it was 1916 when they ditched the Ross and went to the Enfield, Thats awesome that your a WW1 historian.
IMO early WW1 is the epitome of the industrialized world vs old world tactics. Just imagine a calvarly charge against machine gun nests, just insanity

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I just mean with those years we always had key injuries and monsters ahead of us. The east is wide open right now with Tampa and Boston out early, and we got out of round 1 completely healthy. That is going to change eventually but sitting where we are today, a fully healthy roster in round 2 against the 2nd wildcard team is a damn good spot to be in
oh I feel good about our position but a long road ahead.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I agree a lot of Leaf and neutral fans may be underestimating the Panthers.

But let’s all take a breather for a second and stop pretending like the Boston team in the playoffs was the same team in the regular season. They played the majority of the series without Bergeron, none of the series with a healthy Bergeron, and had a clearly injured Ullmark.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Brain says Leafs in 4 or 5 but I really hope the Panthers take care of business.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That begs the question what does Toronto have that Bruins didn't. Panthers just beat the most complete and best NHL team in history.

I have a feeling Cats are going to put on another spectacular show. How couldn't they after what they just did to Boston?

I think the answer to your question is center depth.

Yes the Bruins have Bergeron, but beyond that it gets thin.

The Leafs on the other have probably the best depth in the league.

Matthews
Tavares
ROR
Kampf.

That to me, 1-4 is the deepest center core in the league.

To me that's Florida biggest challenge how are they going to match that? that's what they need to figure out.

Yes obviously Barkov will play against one of them but then there are 2 more high end centers to check.

If Florida wins that's the key.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Matthews
Tavares
ROR
Kampf.

To me that's Florida biggest challenge how are they going to match that? that's what they need to figure out.

Yes obviously Barkov will play against one of them but then there are 2 more high end centers to check.

The Bruins barely had Bergeron, and Krejci was showing his age.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Matthews
Tavares
ROR
Kampf.

Barkov will definitely get the Matthews matchup. That'll be a battle.

After that you have Bennett, who had a whale of a series against the Bruins, and Lundell.

Panthers will have to count on their young legs and pace being more important than experience and savvy over the course of the series.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Barkov will definitely get the Matthews matchup. That'll be a battle.

After that you have Bennett, who had a whale of a series against the Bruins, and Lundell.

Panthers will have to count on their young legs and pace being more important than experience and savvy over the course of the series.
Bennett in particular I'm a bit worried about. Feel like guys like him are gonna cause some trouble on the forecheck.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree a lot of Leaf and neutral fans may be underestimating the Panthers.

But let’s all take a breather for a second and stop pretending like the Boston team in the playoffs was the same team in the regular season. They played the majority of the series without Bergeron, none of the series with a healthy Bergeron, and had a clearly injured Ullmark.

Krejci only played 4 games too.

Still very impressive how Florida played but if any team has their starting goalie and top 2 centers injured good luck winning a playoff round. The fact that it still went to overtime in game 7 against a team like Florida is a testament to how good they are.

Reactions: The Podium

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not what I'm suggesting. I have the Leafs in 6 as well. I just think SOME fans should be a little more humble. That's all.
Don't know why anybody cares about other people's humility. Maybe you need to police your own piousness. There is all kinds of shit talk going on. Leaf fans were on blast the first series being called chokers and told they were going to get swept by a few. Now shit talk is flying from leaf fans. So what? This is playoff hockey for f sakes. Shit talkers will eventually be chased out of the forum if their team loses like the fans of those choker Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad