GDT: ECQF Game 3: Your New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers, 8 PM, ABC/ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Schmid is the starter we hope that is such a huge game changer. Can you imagine this team with very good goaltending instead of league average goaltending? Fingers crossed he is ready for this.
Hope so. I was just thinking the same thing.

If there’s one thing I’m legit envious of the Rangers for is that they can go from Richter to a needle in a haystack in Lundqvist to Shesterkin. They did have same pain in between Richter and Lundqvist, but it was only just a few years.

We went from to Brodeur to Schneider, which was almost too good to be true, but Schneider hurt his hip and declined too early. We thought we had that all covered with Blackwood, until we didn’t.

Vitek had an admirable season, especially as a 50+ game goalie, which I don’t think the plan was ever for him to be a 50+ game goalie. But I don’t think Vitek is a long term #1 answer either, nor was he meant to be.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It might have been this way all year as there was talk when Shero was tossed it was going to be a collective team lead by Fitz.

Might have just got some inside baseball confirming that.
Seems wrong. The coach is with these guys every day, he's the one the ice every practice, he's running the room, he's talking to guys about issues...then someone from upstairs is going to have a say in who plays and who doesn't?

Seems like a bad scenario to me?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I mean I get involving Marty in a goalie decision regardless, but it does seem like they want a 'collaborative' approach from the top on down anyway. Which quite frankly is a good thing in this case after Lindy went full derp on Thursday.
Yeah, I doubt Fitz does that regularly. Sometimes it’s justified.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

If there’s one thing I’m legit envious of the Rangers for is that they can go from Richter to a needle in a haystack in Lundqvist to Shesterkin. They did have same pain in between Richter and Lundqvist, but it was only just a few years.

We went from to Brodeur to Schneider, which was almost too good to be true, but Schneider hurt his hip and declined too early. We thought we had that all covered with Blackwood, until we didn’t.

Vitek had an admirable season, especially as a 50+ game goalie, which I don’t think the plan was ever for him to be a 50+ game goalie. But I don’t think Vitek is a long term #1 answer either, nor was he meant to be.
The only pushback I ever really had toward people wanting Schmid to start from the hop was that Vitek did enough in the regular season to earn the first crack in the playoffs, not that he should play forever. Which he obviously got, but I was also screaming for Schmid to be the backup cause I knew there was a chance we'd have an early hook and I sure as shooting didn't want it to be Blackwood coming in if Vitek got lit up early.

Reactions: Bleedred

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
My issue with Graves is more the way the coaching staff uses him than it is with Graves himself.
Fair but what isn't is some clown in the first few posts after we won saying they didn't care and he should come out for Hughes. That's bananalands talk.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Seems wrong. The coach is with these guys every day, he's the one the ice every practice, he's running the room, he's talking to guys about issues...then someone from upstairs is going to have a say in who plays and who doesn't?

I agree, which is why it's possible this was a unique situation due to the circumstances.

Just speculating off what Ruff said.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only pushback I ever really had toward people wanting Schmid to start from the hop was that Vitek did enough in the regular season to earn the first crack in the playoffs, not that he should play forever. Which he obviously got, but I was also screaming for Schmid to be the backup cause I knew there was a chance we'd have an early hook and I sure as shooting didn't want it to be Blackwood coming in if Vitek got lit up early.

I still don't think the first two games were Vitek's fault. They left him out to dry.

Schmid was definitely better tonight though. If we can't open the offense up, then we need better then average goaltending to keep this series going. Average won't cut it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I'm guessing you're not a baseball fan...this kind of thing is commonplace there now. Managers are basically more middle management other than the few old school guys left like Bochy and Showalter. I'm not saying I like it either, but with more analytics come more people who think lineups should be based on numbers rather than gut.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
He put in the two most penalty prone players on the team, both who don’t provide much offense, and they got beaten on special teams. Pretty sure that’s going to get a discussion either way.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Add in the Rangers did have some trial and error with Dan Blackburn and Al Montoya both being top-10 picks and not panning out. Blackburn hurt his hand and stopped playing pro hockey in his very early 20’s. Jason LaBarbera was also a hyped prospect for them in the early 00’s. The Mike Dunham trade was also a joke. His first year was good, but he was horrific in his second year there.

But somehow out of nowhere it was the late round pick from 2000 out of Sweden that canceled out those busts.

So they had some pain on the Richter to Lundqvist bridge, but not for long.

It would be nice to finally have a really good/elite goalie here and one that stays good for years, and doesn’t flop after two promising seasons or get a bad hip/injury that causes them to fall off a cliff.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad