ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Who at least showed up unlike Marner. I can tolerate losing when guys compete, but piss poor efforts like Marner has given us every post-season are straight up disrespectful to the team, city, fan base.
Matthews gets a long leash it seems

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The Bs do have better depth though and play much better team defense honestly this years Bruins remind me of past years Canes good depth and team buy in but not enough high end scoring.
When healthy the Leafs forward depth is superior to Boston's

We're missing a top-line forward and a middle 6 winger right now though, so it does swing in Boston's favour imo

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Its a team culture thing, on paper Boston doesn't have the talent to beat Toronto IMO.
Maybe it's team culture, I don't know ... my suspicion is the Bruins organization is just better at producing winning hockey players - scouting, drafting, coaching, teaching young players what's important, working on necessary skills, recognizing what they can bring to the table, having a good system, etc. That could be called team culture, I guess.

The Toronto organization strikes me as more like my Rangers ... a little behind the 8-ball in those areas. Here that has been offset by the fact that two great players - Panarin & Fox - want to be here, and picked us. I don't know if Toronto has that advantage.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I mean he is an issue, the time to simply outplay the opponent is over. He is paid to score goals when the games matter
He's not gonna score every game man. He's just not going to. No one does, nor ever has, scored in every game. He had multiple chances and couldn't score one. This is why its a best of 7 series.

Marner + JT on the other hand? i don't remember a single scoring opp for either of them. that's the elephant in the room IMO.

Game 2 here we come.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They spent so much time on Pasta and Brad that they forgot about Jake.
The hitting was pretty even by both teams, I’d say the bruins actually got more physical as the game went on…. And the leafs def stepped off a bit, thought the leafs shoulda been a lot more physical in the 3rd.

He's not gonna score every game man. He's just not going to. No one does, nor ever has, scored in every game. He had multiple chances and couldn't score one. This is why its a best of 7 series.

Marner + JT on the other hand? i don't remember a single scoring opp for either of them. that's the elephant in the room IMO.

Game 2 here we come.
Marner had a huge chance where lindholm “cross checked” him to save a goal and put the leafs on a powerplay

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

Game 2 here we come.
Normally I'd agree, but he very often has games in the playoffs where he has chances and doesn't score. He's on 6 game goalless streak in the post-season

We need him to score at a rate commensurate with being a generational goal scorer or close to it in order to have success. He has the ability to do it and I think he eventually does, but the time has to come quickly

I have no hope for Mitch

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Who at least showed up unlike Marner. I can tolerate losing when guys compete, but piss poor efforts like Marner has given us every post-season are straight up disrespectful to the team, city, fan base.
I blame all of Marners issues on the mean media and fans. Its not fair. :sarcasm:

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Only just watched the full game of this one.

In the first 30, the Leafs' best chances came from two sloppy errors by the Boston D, they didn't actually create much.

Both teams were playing physical but Boston were just more disciplined and smarter with it. The Bruins first goal was a prime example, Leafs trying to make hits but leaving themselves exposed. Several big, clean hits, from all lines, whereas the Leafs really seemed to rely on a handful of players (Domi, Bertuzzi etc) to make a mark. Marner forechecking was a waste of time.

How the Leafs management thought playing Holmberg as the 3C in the playoffs is a good idea, I'll never know. They had ROR there last year and just a guy this year, whilst paying too much for a 4C. Several times their main C got kicked out of the dot and they lost the draw as a result, including Holmberg.

The Matthews/Domi/Bertuzzi line was threatening, and I can see them getting goals in the series, if they don't take silly penalties and stay on the ice.

Samonov gets criticism but the first three goals all had mistakes from the Leafs. First was an error to leave a 2 on 1 after 2 minutes, the second had all Leafs deep and they still couldn't win the puck, and the third they had a chance to clear on the PK and it was kept in at the blue line, then there was a guy able to screen the goalie without challenge.

Lastly, Pastrnak is just awesome.

Reactions: PB37

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Normally I'd agree, but he very often has games in the playoffs where he has chances and doesn't score. He's on 6 game goalless streak in the post-season

We need him to score at a rate commensurate with being a generational goal scorer or close to it in order to have success. He has the ability to do it and I think he eventually does, but the time has to come quickly

I have no hope for Mitch

Thank you for your reasonable takes on saint matthews

Reactions: sampollock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad