ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Leafs should flip to Woll

Forget "flip to"...They probably should've just gone with that in the first place. Hardly the only issue for the Leafs in this one, but i don't know why they felt the need to "find out" if Samsonov could get the job done. That should've been a fairly clear "no" based on the season he's had. I'd want to put my best foot forward and start with my best goaltender available, personally. But i guess the Leafs wanted to try for a miracle with Samsonov first?

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
Love how many leaf fans just won't admit the Bruins are the far better team and the Leafs are thevl underdogs in the series

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Bruins were in their heads before this series even started.

$40 million contingent were no shows.

And Keefe is vastly overrated good lord that was something watching him wait until twenty seconds are left on the PP to pull the goalie.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I have been an Oilers fan since I lived in Edmonton as a kid but when we moved to the GTA, I tried to adopt the Leafs as my team. Really did. And to a degree, I enjoyed them during the Iafrate and Salming years and then into a great years with Gilmour, Clark, Felix Potvin, etc.

There is something about this current iteration that I don't like and I've never been able to put my finger on it exactly but I do think a lot of it has to do with Shanahan joining the club. He is far too arrogant, plays favourites and just will not force a tough decision to be made. He was always eying the no NHL experience Dubas and elevated him far faster than he should have been. Dubas, funny enough, tried to usurp to much power and wanted to be the man and so he was given the boot and then Pittsburgh gave him what he was looking for.

Similarly, Dubas was eyeing Keefe all along for coach. Anyone else would have been a lame duck until Dubas pulled the trigger, supposedly based on all this analytics research, which funny enough tries to reduce success to primarily tying predictable outcomes to some statistical probabilities and pure numbers.

But Dubas saddled this team with some bloated contracts, which have handcuffed them from putting together the kind of team that gels, plays with chemistry, and doesn't rely on a flashy four to carry the load all year and in the playoffs. People can look at a team like the Bruins or even the Knights last year - not too top heavy, but the reason why that is is because management recognizes the value of depth, and not necessarily what is sexy on a surface level. The fact that the Leafs make have the same core group expecting a different result is beyond maddening. It is only a respite that at least Dubas is no longer around.

Certainly I do hope that Boston prevails in this series so that the organization will be out of excuses why they continue to hand the reins over to Shanahan. Tonight's game was a masterclass in one team wanting it more, making the little, sensible and in the background plays to contribute to a positive outcome. Even in the dying seconds, I was pretty impressed when the Boston player dove to block the shot. They had the game comfortably in hand and yet that get up and go and do everything you can was still there. This was indicative of the Bruins' focus all gameThey didn't take their foot off the gas. It is pretty impressive after losing Bergeron and Kreijci that the Bruins can rely on their depth players to contribute as a holistic unit to drive team success.

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I think if Samsonov was playing behind a great blueline like on Vegas or Dallas, he could put up good numbers because of the system. People were saying that Freddy Andersen was done when he left Toronto and he’s been very solid since joining Carolina. That should not be a surprise.

Unfortunately Samsonov is just not a good fit behind the Leafs defense. He’s not going to give your team that big save at key times of the game or steal games.
I have a strong suspicion Freddy A ends up like previous seasons.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I have been an Oilers fan since I lived in Edmonton as a kid but when we moved to the GTA, I tried to adopt the Leafs as my team. Really did. And to a degree, I enjoyed them during the Iafrate and Salming years and then into a great years with Gilmour, Clark, Felix Potvin, etc.

There is something about this current iteration that I don't like and I've never been able to put my finger on it exactly but I do think a lot of it has to do with Shanahan joining the club. He is far too arrogant, plays favourites and just will not force a tough decision to be made. He was always eying the no NHL experience Dubas and elevated him far faster than he should have been. Dubas, funny enough, tried to usurp to much power and wanted to be the man and so he was given the boot and then Pittsburgh gave him what he was looking for.

Similarly, Dubas was eyeing Keefe all along for coach. Anyone else would have been a lame duck until Dubas pulled the trigger, supposedly based on all this analytics research, which funny enough tries to reduce success to primarily tying predictable outcomes to some statistical probabilities and pure numbers.

But Dubas saddled this team with some bloated contracts, which have handcuffed them from putting together the kind of team that gels, plays with chemistry, and doesn't rely on a flashy four to carry the load all year and in the playoffs. People can look at a team like the Bruins or even the Knights last year - not too top heavy, but the reason why that is is because management recognizes the value of depth, and not necessarily what is sexy on a surface level. The fact that the Leafs make have the same core group expecting a different result is beyond maddening. It is only a respite that at least Dubas is no longer around.

Certainly I do hope that Boston prevails in this series so that the organization will be out of excuses why they continue to hand the reins over to Shanahan. Tonight's game was a masterclass in one team wanting it more, making the little, sensible and in the background plays to contribute to a positive outcome. Even in the dying seconds, I was pretty impressed when the Boston player dove to block the shot. They had the game comfortably in hand and yet that get up and go and do everything you can was still there. This was indicative of the Bruins' focus all gameThey didn't take their foot off the gas. It is pretty impressive after losing Bergeron and Kreijci that the Bruins can rely on their depth players to contribute as a holistic unit to drive team success.
EBFB7EF8-6EBB-4F30-8E7C-3FA885702D22.jpeg

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
That's what surprised me most about the game. The Bruins were in playoff mode out of the gate while the Leafs played like it was just another regular season game. Hopefully game 2 will be more competitive after the Leafs regroup. The Leafs' stars need to step it up.
So then they can lose 5-3

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Neutral fan here to write my thoughtful, sober and well-thought out takes here.

This Bruins team is Pastrnak, Marchand, McAvoy, 2 good goalies and a pile of hot garbage. They should not be good. But they might be good. And this bothers me so much. I'm so bored of them and want them to fall into the class of mediocre where they belong with BUF, DET, PIT, PHI, NJ, NYI ASAP. They are the most uninteresting team in the playoffs.

I prefer skill over structure. I want the Leafs to sweep so the Bruins spend less time inconveniencing me by existing in these playoffs. But my actual prediction is Bruins in 7, surmounting a 3-1 series deficit, winning the last 3 games by a score of 1-0. My mental health suffers.
How’s that going for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad