Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thompson should not be getting that many shifts in a playoff matchup. He shouldn't even be playing. He shouldn't even be here.

This is also AV, who drove Van and NYR fans absolutely insane in the playoffs by doing exactly this kind of silly stupid thing. I had hope based on the regular season that he'd changed, but clearly not.
As far as 5v5 shifts go...

Giroux 22
Thompson 21
Voracek 19
Hayes 19
Couturier 19
Konecny 16
JVR 16

Reactions: DaphneLion

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Never change HF Flyers. Always have your whipping boys. We're now comparing AV to Hak. Brill.
Ghost sucked in game 2 and deserved to get benched. Brought nothing.
Also JVR needs to be benched as well

Safe to assume you think Laughyon should be benched after game 3 then?

Couts is great, I see no flaws in the lineup. The cup should be a lock.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Thompson should not be getting that many shifts in a playoff matchup. He shouldn't even be playing. He shouldn't even be here.

This is also AV, who drove Van and NYR fans absolutely insane in the playoffs by doing exactly this kind of silly stupid thing. I had hope based on the regular season that he'd changed, but clearly not.

look, whomever is going to be playing the nate thompson role is going to get dominated . In hockey you are going to have zone starts. Every coach has different zone start philosophies. But all coaches agree you want your best line to start in the ozone as much as possible. In order for that to happen you need another line to take the brunt of the abuse on the other end and that is thompson line. His usage is more extreme than others but not nearly as extreme as with the Sedin's.

I would say however his usage of couturier is not best suited for this team, but we are playing the cards we are dealt with.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As far as 5v5 shifts go...

Giroux 22
Thompson 21
Voracek 19
Hayes 19
Couturier 19
Konecny 16
JVR 16

I can't help but notice that's more than Couturier.

This is the kind of thing that held him back in previous coaching positions. Our roster isn't good enough to overcome this. Maybe if we had Patrick, Lindblom, and Frost it could be. You know, where the 4C would be useful.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
look, whomever is going to be playing the nate thompson role is going to get dominated . In hockey you are going to have zone starts. Every coach has different zone start philosophies. But all coaches agree you want your best line to start in the ozone as much as possible. In order for that to happen you need another line to take the brunt of the abuse on the other end and that is thompson line. His usage is more extreme than others but not nearly as extreme as with the Sedin's.

I would say however his usage of couturier is not best suited for this team, but we are playing the cards we are dealt with.

That's completely false. Not every player is equal to Thompson. Thompson is being dominated because he's trash, not because of his role. A better player would be dominated less. Exposing him as thoroughly as AV is results in more domination of him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Some people’s constant defense of utter shit players on this board over the years is something that I’ll always marvel at.

Have we gotten the “he’s a good person, he doesn’t deserve to be criticized” defense yet?

Don't forget the ongoing conviction that our good players are actually awful, even when they aren't.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
1B881251-61D9-4316-893A-1B97E859CC5B.jpeg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's completely false. Not every player is equal to Thompson. Thompson is being dominated because he's trash, not because of his role.

look at danault. he is putting up similar corsi numbers in a similar role against the couturier line and not getting as many ozone starts as Danault. So is Phillipe Danult trash?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
look at danault. he is putting up similar corsi numbers in a similar role against the couturier line and not getting as many ozone starts as Danault. So is Phillipe Danult trash?

He's competing against Couturier.

Thompson isn't competing against anyone like Couturier.

Danault isn't anything like Thompson. He is objectively good. Thompson is objectively bad.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
In hockey you are going to have zone starts. Every coach has different zone start philosophies. But all coaches agree you want your best line to start in the ozone as much as possible.

I can't tell you if they think that, but I can definitively say that not all coaches deploy this way. As an example I happen to know off the top of my head, the Vegas Forwards this year most likely to start a Shift from an Offensive Zone Faceoff at 5v5 were Reaves and Carrier.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Why the hell was Grant out for some PP time? Was it to shake things up? Did I miss something and it was late in the PP so they got the defensive group out there?
not just on the PP, but on the sideboards, doubt he's seen a PP since he was a teen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You mean not playing fan favorites who've gone on to have stellar NHL careers?
Like whom?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can't help but notice that's more than Couturier.

This is the kind of thing that held him back in previous coaching positions. Our roster isn't good enough to overcome this. Maybe if we had Patrick, Lindblom, and Frost it could be. You know, where the 4C would be useful.
It's exactly what everyone was warned about but people swore he "had no choice". Doesn't that sound familiar? :laugh:

And the biggest problem is that, even with those unavailable players, we still have a roster that could be extremely deep, with none of these terrible players in it. 12 forwards and 6 D who all belong in the NHL.

Giroux
Couturier
Voracek
Hayes
Konecny
JVR
Farabee
Frost
Laughton
Pitlick
Raffl
NAK

Provorov
Niskanen
Sanheim
Myers
Ghost
Braun

I just wish we could get an answer on whether or not it's good coaching to bad players more than good players...

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I can't tell you if they think that, but I can definitively say that not all coaches deploy this way. As an example I happen to know off the top of my head, the Vegas Forwards this year most likely to start a Shift from an Offensive Zone Faceoff at 5v5 were Reaves and Carrier.

some players are just so bad in their own end that you need to do what you can in order for them to not be a complete disaster.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You mean not playing fan favorites who've gone on to have stellar NHL careers?
Like whom?

Bunnaman and Frost are both players we can use who are better than Thompson.

This has nothing to do with "fan favorites." That's a strawman on your part to dodge having to defend indefensible bad decisions. You pretend that arguments based in logic are based in emotion, because you have no other rebuttal. It has everything to do with competency and what makes winning most likely. I care about seeing the team win. Do you disagree that playing terrible players in place of better players is a bad decision?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Bunnaman and Frost are both players we can use who are better than Thompson.

This has nothing to do with "fan favorites." That's a strawman on your part to dodge having to defend indefensible bad decisions. You pretend that arguments based in logic are based in emotion, because you have no other rebuttal. It has everything to do with competency and what makes winning most likely. I care about seeing the team win. Do you disagree that playing terrible players in place of better players is a bad decision?

Prepare to have this one dodged again. Weve been playing this game all morning.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He's competing against Couturier.

Thompson isn't competing against anyone like Couturier.

Danault isn't anything like Thompson. He is objectively good. Thompson is objectively bad.

and yet here we have thompson being as productive as a good player....so while thompson may be bad by your goalposts he has improved his play in the playoffs and should be commended?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
some players are just so bad in their own end that you need to do what you can in order for them to not be a complete disaster.

The best thing to do in that case is not play them more shifts than your best player. Even better, don't play them at all and use someone better. We have better options. They're not to use them.

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad