Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
OTeFPhr.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's sort of ironic that we are scared to play our 21 year old center because he's too young/inexperienced/light/etc., and instead play Nasty Nate because he is a veteran/heavy/experience/reliable , who is getting dominated by Montreal's 19 and 20 year old centers who are young/inexperienced/light/etc...

Great f***ing post.

Cmoneyflyguy

Jul 13, 2005
Wayne, Pa
Never change HF Flyers. Always have your whipping boys. We're now comparing AV to Hak. Brill.
Ghost sucked in game 2 and deserved to get benched. Brought nothing.
Also JVR needs to be benched as well

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
If they want to be better in the neutral zone and countering. Ghost would be helpful at rd. Just not with hagg. Frankly I would love to see them try

Provy - ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg - nisky.

Or flip ghost and Myers.

Either way hagg bring a physical element I’d like to see stay. Mostly because no one else really brings that as much. Which is odd. If other did. He is easily replaced.

Provy should but just doesn’t. He hasn’t erased people along the boards like he use to. And that was when he was paired with ghost. Even last night in the first I think I saw him try and the guy got through.

This was the role I always hoped Morin would bring. Playing with ghost on his right side

Reactions: Benji007

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Never change HF Flyers. Always have your whipping boys. We're now comparing AV to Hak. Brill.
Ghost sucked in game 2 and deserved to get benched. Brought nothing.
Also JVR needs to be benched as well
Agree that AV is not Hak. He doesn't deserve this magnitude of hate. However, he deserves every bit of criticism for rolling Thompson out there for 11 minutes last night. Scratching Ghost in favor of Hagg is always inexcusable, however what is more inexcusable is up for debate imo

Those 2 things are big issues. He hasn't shown this kind of dedication to Thompson in the past so I am willing to watch for a playoff trend in that regard

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agree that AV is not Hak. He doesn't deserve this magnitude of hate. However, he deserves every bit of criticism for rolling Thompson out there for 11 minutes last night. Scratching Ghost in favor of Hagg is always inexcusable, however what is more inexcusable is up for debate imo

Those 2 things are big issues. He hasn't shown this kind of dedication to Thompson in the past so I am willing to watch for a playoff trend in that regard

The Tater Thomps Train has left the Station. He is AV's new Tanner Glass. He's not going to stop now. This is our new 5v5 2C. Get ready to watch a lot of "living for the next shift."

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The Tater Thomps Train has left the Station. He is AV's new Tanner Glass. He's not going to stop now. This is our new 5v5 2C. Get ready to watch a lot of "living for the next shift."
:( Pls no

I started the Tater Thomps nickname but Cap yelled at me. I'm happy you membered

the bolded made me lol.

the underlined made me cry.

Get me Off the Rebel Rollercoaster.
You didn't remember :(

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Just need to fix the PP. They really need to go back to the drawing board. Everything about it not working. From zone entry, to execution in the offensive zone, it’s a mess. I’d sub out Provy and Couts for Sanheim and JVR.
Sanheim, either jvr or nak for tk.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

The problem with looking out for a playoff trend is that the Islanders present similar problems for the Flyers, so the next series will be likely the same if they can get there. :laugh:

The French Hakstol meme is overboard, but that doesn't mean AV isn't making some downright awful lineup and usage decisions.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
If they want to be better in the neutral zone and countering. Ghost would be helpful at rd. Just not with hagg. Frankly I would love to see them try

Provy - ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg - nisky.

Or flip ghost and Myers.

Either way hagg bring a physical element I’d like to see stay. Mostly because no one else really brings that as much. Which is odd. If other did. He is easily replaced.

Provy should but just doesn’t. He hasn’t erased people along the boards like he use to. And that was when he was paired with ghost. Even last night in the first I think I saw him try and the guy got through.

This was the role I always hoped Morin would bring. Playing with ghost on his right side
yea, if ghost is going to play...it would have to be with Provorov.

Niskanen would be the one sitting IMO though, not Braun.

Reactions: Amorgus

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
What did I just read... :laugh: The fact that there's Hagg praise in this thread is beyond depressing. This board should be better than that.

Let's be honest for a second here, Hagg replacing Ghost had literally nothing to do with them winning this game. Just like there's zero truth that Ghost is worse defensively or turns the puck over more than Hagg... at best that's just lazy stereotyping, at worst it's downright lying. On top of that, Ghost was far from our worst defensemen in the loss or the series overall, so blaming him makes no sense. He just got scapegoated by Hakstol 2.0 because he's unable to properly judge guys like Niskanen, Braun, Thompson, or Grant... and obviously Hagg too. He has his fetish, that's for sure.

We won because of six players carrying the team: Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, Sanheim, Myers, and Hart. They simply all played much better than they did in the previous game, while everyone else basically sucked just as hard, and luckily it was enough to get the win. That was the only difference, along with the Habs hitting like 5 posts. Obviously those six guys playing better had nothing to do with Hagg either, especially when you see how little he was on-ice with them and look at the difference in his stats with and without them. He was bad in all three zones and got carried, as always.
In fairness hagg stinks. But has been one of our best six d. As has ghost. This is my issue. It’s not just hagg or ghost. It’s also how the coaches play them. And what they favor. What the system is so other know what to do. In game two. Ghost being left alone to clear the crease is a coaching issue. But changing an entire d scheme for one pair my confuse the other players and throw off timing an anticipation. Based of what I see game in and game out ghost should play rd in their scheme. Little more of the puck chaser so to speak.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
In some ways, Kevin Hayes has the power to stop this. He has been god awful since the restart, but could steal some of those sweet Thompson minutes if he finds his game.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If AV doesn't deserve to be compared to Hak right now then I can't imagine what it would take.

Like I said, similar mistakes but with a better roster. He's screwing up the thing he has the most influence over and is making things infinitely harder than they have to be. The cowardly coaching. weird obsession with horrible players, and fear of skill/youth is peak Hak.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's sort of ironic that we are scared to play our 21 year old center because he's too young/inexperienced/light/etc., and instead play Nasty Nate because he is a veteran/heavy/experience/reliable , who is getting dominated by Montreal's 19 and 20 year old centers who are young/inexperienced/light/etc...

If AV had Suzuki (5'11 201) and Kotkaniemi (6'2 190+) he'd start them too.
Kotkaniemi was the #3 pick and plays like it in his second NHL season.
Both have NHL bodies and it shows on the ice.

Reactions: Jtown

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
If AV doesn't deserve to be compared to Hak right now then I can't imagine what it would take.

Like I said, similar mistakes but with a better roster. He's screwing up the thing he has the most influence over.
Another 2 or 3 games of Thompson 11 mins.

Grant in the top 6.

Two examples from me. Not all inclusive. I just need you to take 15-20% off there, Squirrelly Dan

Reactions: Rebels57

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I called out Charlie O Connor n the comments section on his praise of the 4th line, here is what he has to say:

Final xG For by trio, per Natural Stat Trick:

1st: 90.88%
2nd: 63.16%
3rd: 28.70%
4th: 55.69%

They did their job in this one, which was to allow next to nothing of serious value to the Canadiens.

Is Thompson ideally out of the lineup? Yeah. In this series, offense has largely died on his stick. But I don't think the Flyers were significantly more likely to score with Connor Bunnaman in at 4C, and I suspect Thompson was far better prepared to play this kind of white-knuckle, make-one-mistake-and-you're-toast type of game than a rookie would be. Maybe you consider moving Raffl back to center at some point, but you're not gonna do that in the first game a guy is back from injury when it's not his natural position. And don't even mention Morgan Frost right now. I really like the kid, but considering his strengths and weaknesses, you really think he was going to thrive in THIS kind of playoff game for his first taste of postseason action? Come on. It's not like Frost's presence on Line 3 was going to magically change the entire complexion of this contest.

I haven’t seen anyone, anywhere, say (the bolded portion) about Frost prior to last nights game. Refuting an argument that no one is making is weird.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
:( Pls no

I started the Tater Thomps nickname but Cap yelled at me. I'm happy you membered

You didn't remember :(

It's still terrible, but it at least makes him look like the joke he is. I'm too furious and enraged and f***ing angry about him to even care anymore - let him have it. I'm also super enraged that my dream last night ended. In it, I met a Japanese girl and we were in Japan and I saw the room where they had prepared the wedding and she was hot and her parents liked me and it all meant that I would be able to live there forever with a hot Japanese girl and the only problem I faced was trying not to sleep with her hot sister. This really happened, in my dream, and I want to go back there.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Hayes is odd. So skilled. But a puck Hog. Sometimes it works out and everyone says look at that patience. Which it isn’t. It’s that two many opponents are out of position so other are wide open. Patience is Giroux and coots holding on one sec longer for the hole to open. It’s not getting lucky you didn’t lose the puck with three men on you and throwing it blindly to space.

Hayes is also the only one who doesn’t play the system the same way offensively. Especially on entries. Which is odd as well. He could be great if he goes back to the basic a bit and simplifies his game some. I suspect he will and the coaches will be looking at everything.

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad