Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
C2C1B74A-DE98-4D94-9639-20C1883584AB.jpeg

“This turd stinks but it sticks on the bowl so it’s hard to flush. So, that’s a good thing!”

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
MTL plays an aggressive style. I’m happy we won and I don’t care if it was ugly doing it. The Pens didn’t want to play that way, so they lost. You have to slow them down through the neutral zone and not make turnovers. That’s going to be a conservative game that works well when you get the lead.

As far as the PP. They are again aggressive 2-3 guys at the blue line. 1-2 guys back. But there is no one protecting right in front of Price. Not even when we have a guy low. He’s left alone. Hit the blue line with speed and shoot pucks low at Price while the other guys goes for a rebound. Or just flat out see if you can cut all the way to Price from the neutral zone. I really think we can take advantage here.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Theres always going to be bad players and scapegoats - especially with this fanbase - but if we can go back to the time where we used to complain about having someone like Raffl on the roster, that would be ideal, i think.

Curious to see the number of people who were bashing the shit out of the Raffl signing now being thankful hes here too. This wasnt meant as a shot at you (i dont recall your Raffl-Stance, tbh), just a general observation.

I approved of the Raffl extension. I get your point too.

I was pretty happy with Fletcher's job so far up until the Thompson and Grant trades, and now the two players he acquired to "boost" the team might end up responsible for our downfall. He gets a big fat 'F' for his 1st Trade Deadline as Flyers GM. And im not letting AV off the hook either. He doesn't have to play these guys at all, let alone as much as he is.

Reactions: pit and Starat327

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
View attachment 361735

“This turd stinks but it sticks on the bowl so it’s hard to flush. So, that’s a good thing!”

I love the "he does the little things right" line.

Is completing simple passes to exit the defensive zone or prolong the cycle in the offensive zone not "little things?

The issue with Thompson is that he CAN'T DO THE LITTLE THINGS.

He can win faceoffs, and then that's where it ends.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Dry-run is right. They are chafing so bad on offense that blood is leaking out.

The Isles have legit game-breaking talent.

But at the end of the day, if you want to win the Cup, you gotta find a way to beat the teams you're handed.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I approved of the Raffl extension. I get your point too.

I was pretty happy with Fletcher's job so far up until the Thompson and Grant trades, and now the two players he acquired to "boost" the team might end up responsible for our downfall. He gets a big fat 'F' for his 1st Trade Deadline as Flyers GM. And im not letting AV off the hook either. He doesn't have to play these guys at all, let alone as much as he is.

At what point is it OK to say I told you so?

:razz::heart:

eaglesfan036

Apr 24, 2016
I called out Charlie O Connor n the comments section on his praise of the 4th line, here is what he has to say:

Final xG For by trio, per Natural Stat Trick:

1st: 90.88%
2nd: 63.16%
3rd: 28.70%
4th: 55.69%

They did their job in this one, which was to allow next to nothing of serious value to the Canadiens.

Is Thompson ideally out of the lineup? Yeah. In this series, offense has largely died on his stick. But I don't think the Flyers were significantly more likely to score with Connor Bunnaman in at 4C, and I suspect Thompson was far better prepared to play this kind of white-knuckle, make-one-mistake-and-you're-toast type of game than a rookie would be. Maybe you consider moving Raffl back to center at some point, but you're not gonna do that in the first game a guy is back from injury when it's not his natural position. And don't even mention Morgan Frost right now. I really like the kid, but considering his strengths and weaknesses, you really think he was going to thrive in THIS kind of playoff game for his first taste of postseason action? Come on. It's not like Frost's presence on Line 3 was going to magically change the entire complexion of this contest.

Reactions: deadhead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Farabee has the worst xGF in this series, I doubt Frost would fare any better.
It's basically a choice between bad options.
Grant has been passable, and would fit well at 4C, but you'd have to live with Laughton at 3C, who'd still be a better choice than Frost.

I'd try Bunnaman before those two kids, simply because this is a series were a guy with size and skating who plays good defense would have more value than a skilled offensive player who'll struggle to make plays and get pushed off the puck.

Timing is everything, a healthy Patrick and Lindblom gives the Flyers a year to marinate Frost, Farabee and Bunnaman.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I called out Charlie O Connor n the comments section on his praise of the 4th line, here is what he has to say:

Final xG For by trio, per Natural Stat Trick:

1st: 90.88%
2nd: 63.16%
3rd: 28.70%
4th: 55.69%

They did their job in this one, which was to allow next to nothing of serious value to the Canadiens.

Is Thompson ideally out of the lineup? Yeah. In this series, offense has largely died on his stick. But I don't think the Flyers were significantly more likely to score with Connor Bunnaman in at 4C, and I suspect Thompson was far better prepared to play this kind of white-knuckle, make-one-mistake-and-you're-toast type of game than a rookie would be. Maybe you consider moving Raffl back to center at some point, but you're not gonna do that in the first game a guy is back from injury when it's not his natural position. And don't even mention Morgan Frost right now. I really like the kid, but considering his strengths and weaknesses, you really think he was going to thrive in THIS kind of playoff game for his first taste of postseason action? Come on. It's not like Frost's presence on Line 3 was going to magically change the entire complexion of this contest.

Which is funny since Thompson made a half dozen mistakes that any NHLer could execute easily.

Being afraid to trust rookies is what loser franchises do.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Thompson plays instead of Farabee? Thompson is a center, Farabee is a winger.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Farabee has the worst xGF in this series, I doubt Frost would fare any better.
It's basically a choice between bad options.
Grant has been passable, and would fit well at 4C, but you'd have to live with Laughton at 3C, who'd still be a better choice than Frost.

I'd try Bunnaman before those two kids, simply because this is a series were a guy with size and skating who plays good defense would have more value than a skilled offensive player who'll struggle to make plays and get pushed off the puck.

Timing is everything, a healthy Patrick and Lindblom gives the Flyers a year to marinate Frost, Farabee and Bunnaman.

He played 2 games and was great in 1 of them (scored the GWG) and the entire team sucked in the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad