Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hagg routinely gets outplayed, even "manhandled" in his own zone. He's not even an average defensive defenseman. If it's true that both Hagg and Gostisbehere have this weakness for defensive zone play, then why is Hagg the preferred defender? He's got no awareness or ability for NHL play.

He also cant complete a pass, but the whole "offensive defensemen are risky and cant be trusted" narrative doesnt even die hard, its just immortal. It's too easy to scapegoat someone who has performed better, and expect them to never drop from their peak, as opposed to call out the people who have sucked since day 1.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I want to say one thing.

I think that Canadiens and Islanders are the worst matchup for us. Very well organized teams, very good in defense, very good goalies with speedy players.

Sadly? If we win this series we will face Islanders very probably........

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I want to say one thing.

I think that Canadiens and Islanders are the worst matchup for us. Very well organized teams, very good in defense, very good goalies with speedy players.

I was thinking this last night. What a dreadful thought. This series has been mucky anti-hockey and I guess we can expect more of the same if the Flyers advance.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wonder if the team ever stopped to think about the fact that they added a 4th line center from one of the worst teams in the league and inserted him in as a 3C on a Cup contending squad and if that made any sense.

... while simultaneously adding Thompson. TWO of them. There isn't enough angel dust in the world to explain that.

Stumble40

Jun 24, 2019
I want to say one thing.

Wow , that just bummed me out alot

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Just need to fix the PP. They really need to go back to the drawing board. Everything about it not working. From zone entry, to execution in the offensive zone, it’s a mess. I’d sub out Provy and Couts for Sanheim and JVR.
They are getting calls from putting pressure on Montreal, but they HAVE to cash in.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
After a night's sleep.

Fire AV
Fire Therrien
Fire Yeo
Fire Lappy
Fire Chuck
Jettison Kev dog to the moon.
Banish Grant and Thompson into the netherworld.
Hire Danny B for GM
Lavy Round 2
Free Ghost
Free Bee
Free Bunny
Free Frosty

Thank you for your time.

Best I can do on Thompson and Grant is the Shadow Realm.

Chinatown88

349 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Best I can do on Thompson and Grant is the Shadow Realm.
image.gif.3db28dc10ef8e8d168c258b2920c3628.gif

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I want to say one thing.

I think Columbus plays very similar to Montreal. NYI play more physical less speed but as disciplined defensively as those teams. Their goaltending is not quite as good (as Columbus and Montreal) but the one aspect that the Flyers seem to thrive on is shutting down other teams top lines and countering them. The Islanders have a semblance of that so I think will be good playing them TBH. That series our defence would have to withstand the heavy forecheck and their size. Have to get through this one first (which is not going to be easy). Our PP needs to wake up. Were to methodical need more movement imo.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Love the whole "Let's make changes to the PP. Put Grant on it" idea. Classic Hakstol move

I am hoping they try: Sanheim, Voracek, Giroux, Couturier, JVR (our best player in front of the net). I still expect to see Provorov there, but if they can make one change, it has to be JVR. They have zero net front presence on the PP. JVR has great hands in tight, and knows how to set up a screen.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Thompson and Grant now 1st and 2nd worst in terms of Corsi for the Flyers in the series.

32.86% and 34.78%.

And not like it was unpredictable going into the series.

Flyers know what their getting with Nate. In his role for the playoffs he's not terrible. Strong PK, Face offs, Plays with grit and physical. I think he's adequate as 4th line C. Grant is the issue imo. He was solid before the break (and having a good season) but he's back to playing like a 4th line defensive C. He looks slow and confused out there and playing with no confidence. AV needs to act on this if it doesn't get better. You can't go deep with only 2 lines generating offence! I've not lost hope as there are a ton of our players that are not playing anywhere close to the levels we saw pre Covid. That still could change imo.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Game 3 Wrap: Flyers Nip Habs, 1-0

There were some breakdowns and turnovers along the way. Luckily for the Flyers, although Carter Hart wasn't tested much in quantity of shots, he stepped up huge on some prime Montreal scoring chances to record a 23-save shutout.

Most notably, Hart erased two horrific giveaways by Scott Laughton, a shorthanded 2-on-1 and a late-game one-on-one chance (developing into a 2-on-0) when Jesperi Kotkaniemi broke through the Flyers' defense. In so doing, Hart became the youngest goaltender in Flyers history to record a playoff shutout.

Reactions: Stizzle

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Flyers know what their getting with Nate. In his role for the playoffs he's not terrible. Strong PK, Face offs, Plays with grit and physical. I think he's adequate as 4th line C. Grant is the issue imo. He was solid before the break (and having a good season) but he's back to playing like a 4th line defensive C. He looks slow and confused out there and playing with no confidence. AV needs to act on this if it doesn't get better. You can't go deep with only 2 lines generating offence! I've not lost hope as there are a ton of our players that are not playing anywhere close to the levels we saw pre Covid. That still could change imo.

giphy.gif

Knowing youre getting a turd doesnt make it any less a turd. Nor does it justify keeping said turd.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Thompson and Grant now 1st and 2nd worst in terms of Corsi for the Flyers in the series.

32.86% and 34.78%.

And not like it was unpredictable going into the series.

I was going to say "and yet, there are still some who will defend them", but was beaten to the punch because I took a shower.

Now i feel like i need another one after that poo-blasting.

Reactions: Striiker

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Love the whole "Let's make changes to the PP. Put Grant on it" idea. Classic Hakstol move

I am hoping they try: Sanheim, Voracek, Giroux, Couturier, JVR (our best player in front of the net). I still expect to see Provorov there, but if they can make one change, it has to be JVR. They have zero net front presence on the PP. JVR has great hands in tight, and knows how to set up a screen.

They honestly need to put Ghost out there for the PP but he's become such a liability defensively especially playing with the Hagg's and Braun's of the world. Braun plays way better with Hagg.....Hagg's size and physicality helped last night there's no question of that. I love Ghost but if your not playing him with a better partner or sheltering his minutes he's struggled. Team has won what 17 of 19 games. I don't think any coach in his right mind is going to shuffle his defensive pairs just to put Ghost into the lineup. So Provy and the crew need to figure this out. i'm not sure if Sanheim is the answer imo on the 1st line PP. They need to generate more shots which is not Travis strength. He moves the puck quicker than Provorov which could help but this team always did well with Ghost big shot from the point (similar to Provorov 's goal in game 1)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Thompson cant keep up with the play. He was caught multiple times in the NZ. Last game Raffl had to play C most of the time.

Plus he has missed two empty nets in the series.

And he is not amongst the teams best 4 PKers.
And he has not been as good on the draw as Couturier, Laughton or Grant over the whole season.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Just a general question to the people anyone can feel free to answer since when it's aimed at specific people it's NEVER answered...

1) If you know what you're getting with a player is shit, would you rather 100% definitely get that shit by playing that player or play another player who might be shit but also might not be shit?

And for old times sake...

2) Is it good coaching to play worse players over better players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad