Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
yes it was better. I'm just saying price alone basically takes one of our strengths and turns it into a Habs strength.

Generally speaking...our team speed is butt. They pressure us on zone entry (and they can be aggressive because price is both good in net and on the dump and chase retrieval.) And we flub it up.

I've never believed price should get 10m per...but he sure is their MVP right now IMO.

This series is probably going to continue to look ugly for us to win.

this game was not predicated on price being amazing in any area...which is kinda scary for a team that can barely score on him. We did a much better job of zone entries, outworking montreal at points, and clogging up the neutral zone...and we still got outshot. It just shows you how bad the bottom 6 has been. The kk/domi/drouin line has been used a lot against the bottom 6 and the numbers aren't great. Price only made 19 saves in a WIN. We need more shots, more disruption, and more chaos in front of him.

Think about that..he hasn't even stolen a game and he is capable of that every series...no bueno

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
That was just an experienced coach taking some heat off of his players. Nothing more, and the media at least fell for it and wrote more about that than about the mediocre at best performance.

Yeah this is what I think too. A bit like when Chris Pronger "stole" a puck.

BritainStix

Oct 20, 2016
As much as I want Ghost in the lineup, who do you take out?

Do you sit Niskanen, or maybe Braun? We all know that the Ghost-Braun pairing is just a dumpster fire, so how do you go about getting him in the lineup?

Hagg had another spectacular bend but not break game. Absolutely incredible how he does that stuff.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Do you sit Niskanen, or maybe Braun? We all know that the Ghost-Braun pairing is just a dumpster fire, so how do you go about getting him in the lineup?

Hagg had another spectacular bend but not break game. Absolutely incredible how he does that stuff.

Hagg has voodoo shit going on. He and Braun are a disaster handling the puck in their own zone and the other two, but they just somehow manage to not get scored on in some games. Ghost won't be back in because they won, but I'd almost like to go Hagg-Ghost in the next one. I feel like Shayne's better when he thinks less, and with a partner like Hagg he really never has to make a decision about pinching or deciding who will handle the breakout off the turnover. Kinda forces you into action. I think Hagg's skill is not getting penalized as often as he maybe should be.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hagg has voodoo shit going on. He and Braun are a disaster handling the puck in their own zone and the other two, but they just somehow manage to not get scored on in some games. Ghost won't be back in because they won, but I'd almost like to go Hagg-Ghost in the next one. I feel like Shayne's better when he thinks less, and with a partner like Hagg he really never has to make a decision about pinching or deciding who will handle the breakout off the turnover. Kinda forces you into action. I think Hagg's skill is not getting penalized as often as he maybe should be.

Ghost got manhandled about 5x physically in the last 2 games, like fall down drunk manhandled...3 that lead to grade A chances. He also didn't stand out w/ any real great plays

That had nothing to do with his partner or who was or the ice w/ him. He just simply was overpowered

Hagg also PK's which takes pressure off the other guys, got an apple, and made like 4 physically dominant plays that game, He ain't coming out imo.

I have zero doubt Ghost draws back in unless of injury, based on AV's coaching style and handling of him thus far

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So we just have to outplay our special teams, league worst 4th line and watch young talented players sit in favour of lesser vets? We truly are bad goaltending away from Haktsol hockey.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Ghost got manhandled about 5x physically in the last 2 games, like fall down drunk manhandled...3 that lead to grade A chances. He also didn't stand out w/ any real great plays

That had nothing to do with his partner or who was or the ice w/ him. He just simply was overpowered

Hagg also PK's which takes pressure off the other guys, got an apple, and made like 4 physically dominant plays that game, He ain't coming out imo.

I have zero doubt Ghost draws back in unless of injury, based on AV's coaching style and handling of him thus far
Uh-oh you can’t say that about Ghost

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
also, can ANYONE explain to me why AV decided to send grant to the box on that Hart penalty? WTF. He was actually doing great on the pk and had a short handed chance with couts.... again it comes back to thompson. He feels "safe" with thompson and thinks he can afford to have grant go to the box. Unless I am not reading the rules right, I think you can send ANYONE to the box in that situation, not someone who was on the ice. Please lmk because that tells us all what kind of coach AV is.

you have to choose someone that’s on the ice to serve a penalty like that. So grant made the most sense since it’s easier to replace a PK forward than a PK dman.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016

IMO you remove Hagg every time, Niskanen will start to play well he’s just having a rough stretch atm

Reactions: Striiker

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016

hagg played competent for sure, but I didn’t notice him making or creating many plays. He plays D well enough but you have a guy sitting with way more to offer potentially and I think even if he doesn’t turn it on, defensively he isn’t a bum in his own zone, it’s not even really a gamble so it’s definitely worth giving him some games so he can get into a groove, making him sit because the whole team was bad in game 2 just doesn’t make sense to me yet Thompson stayed in

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Who in your mind is our best dman?
jasonmomoa-04.jpg

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Again, we are 14-2 in our last 16 games as ugly as we have played vs Montreal.

Isn't that it though? If anything, it shows that our perfect record may be broken with MTL style (2:1 is one thing, the display on the ice is a different one) and learning and adjustments should be very much advised.

Again. I am not saying we are doomed, everyone should be sacked and what not. But the way we are playing, despite having a stellar record league-wise, may be slowly uncovering some kryptonite of ours thanks to MTL - and the sooner we figure it out the better. I don't care about pretty play - yesterday was clearly effective in the end so learn and continue

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015

Provy-Ghost were always very good together.

Reactions: Striiker and BiggE

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Hagg routinely gets outplayed, even "manhandled" in his own zone. He's not even an average defensive defenseman. If it's true that both Hagg and Gostisbehere have this weakness for defensive zone play, then why is Hagg the preferred defender? He's got no awareness or ability for NHL play.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I know this won’t be a popular comment, but good teams find ways to win in the playoffs even when they’re not at their best, so a 2-1 series lead is a major positive sign.

IF they rediscover their game, they will be dangerous.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Isn't that it though? If anything, it shows that our perfect record may be broken with MTL style (2:1 is one thing, the display on the ice is a different one) and learning and adjustments should be very much advised.

Again. I am not saying we are doomed, everyone should be sacked and what not. But the way we are playing, despite having a stellar record league-wise, may be slowly uncovering some kryptonite of ours thanks to MTL - and the sooner we figure it out the better. I don't care about pretty play - yesterday was clearly effective in the end so learn and continue

Yeah, I don't particularly care abotu what happened 13 games ago. Its meaningless, since we wont be playing those teams again if we cant make some adjustments in the next 2-4 games. We need to focus on what has happened in the last 3, and in the last 3, the Flyers have gotten dominated, and grossly bailed out by Hart. We saw the other night what happens if he isnt razor sharp, and it aint prety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad