Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Yes, I'm 100% agreeing with that. :thumbu:

In fact, I think I've complained about them needing to do exactly that in every single game thread we've had this year. :laugh:
Ok I think I’ve just been reading way to much hf boards and I’m confusing people and posts now lol. I should stop. I definitely agree though and I can only pray that our putrid offense so far just may let it happen, it’s wishful thinking

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If ghost got his head out of his ass and allowed giroux to run the pp and set him up for one timers then he would be the best pp dman in the game. Ghost for all of 2018 was so selfish with the puck. itme and time again he would attempt stupid shots that would never get through instead of getting it to the future hall of famer and and allow him to run the pp. Provorov has one elite skill on the PP and that is his shot. Thats it but its also the one skill that we don't have at any other position on the PP. Our PP is in big trouble and teams are starting to really understand that we don't the weapons we once had.
You've hallucinated both Ghosts "selfish play" when he was on that unit and Provorov's "elite shooting". Neither are true.

I encourage you to read this.

S5Gg4YD.png

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
part of the problem ATM is Carey Price. He's playing the puck like a 6th dman and the Habs know this...

dude he was definitely not the problem the last two games. He has been like the 7th man these last two games which is kinda scary. That means he still is capable of stealing another game. We need more scoring chances

Reactions: Jtown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
part of the problem ATM is Carey Price. He's playing the puck like a 6th dman and the Habs know this...

And too many Flyer forwards are dumping the puck as if he's just another goalie, ignoring his ability to flip the ice with a quick outlet pass, or neutralize the forecheck by cutting off the behind the goal dump and get it quickly to a D-man.

You have to either dump it softly so he can't leave his net or angle it off the corner boards so he has to play conservatively, problem is their instinct is to just fire it along the boards away from the defense, it takes some time to adjust.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I'm just in the "sustainable hockey predicts consistent winning" camp.

They did not play sustainable hockey tonight, therefore they will not win consistently playing the way they did tonight.

Changes must occur. Ghost in for Hagg +PP1. Sanhiem and Prov on PP2 to compromise.

Thompson => sun

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think Sanheim could potentially be a weapon they could utilize on 1st PP. He has a really good shot and he is a great passer with vision. He can do things which create space and take some of the pressure off Giroux to do everything.

sanheim has a solid wrister, great mobility, great vision. However on a team with dearth of shooters adding another guy with no shot from the blueline is compounding the problem this team has. With the puck on giroux's stick our number one play is getting the puck to provy for a one timer. You take that play away and what other options does giroux have?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Except in these kind of games it does matter, imagine Frost taking that key faceoff.

I'm not saying it justifies playing Thompson, I'd prefer Bunnaman (but not Frost, who I don't think could handle the Hab's forecheck). Just that it is a reality, some players fold under late game pressure. Like the middle reliever who can't pitch the 8th or 9th inning.

Fair enough. But he got caved in for 11:04 of his 11:07. I'm doing my best to not go full Stpehen A and repeatedly yell, "WHO CARES?!"

And I think you're completely right about this for the record. This is how many coaches think.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
imo suzuki is what I envisioned patrick to be and he definitely could've been better (still can) but it sucks to see suzuki pass him right now...

Suzuki is what we hope Frost will be in a couple years when he grows up.

Difference is body types, Suzuki is 5'11 201 and can handle NHL physical play, Frost is 6'0 180 and lacks strength, if he had Gaudreau type quickness and agility he might compensate, but he's more of a fast but straight line skater. He'll need to add strength and experience (develop anticipation) to deal with NHL windows, especially this type of playoff hockey.

Reactions: achdumeingute

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
And too many Flyer forwards are dumping the puck as if he's just another goalie, ignoring his ability to flip the ice with a quick outlet pass, or neutralize the forecheck by cutting off the behind the goal dump and get it quickly to a D-man.

You have to either dump it softly so he can't leave his net or angle it off the corner boards so he has to play conservatively, problem is their instinct is to just fire it along the boards away from the defense, it takes some time to adjust.
They REALLY tried to keep it in the corners...I think they know this.

Reactions: Larry44

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You've hallucinated both Ghosts "selfish play" when he was on that unit and Provorov's "elite shooting". Neither are true.

I encourage you to read this.

S5Gg4YD.png

yes i know provy is shooting at an unsustainable rate. However that doesn't take away from the fact that he has the best shot interms of power and accuracy and ability to get it on net as anyone we have on the blueline not named ghost. Myers does have potential but isn't there yet.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They REALLY tried to keep it in the corners...I think they know this.

I think they've been coached this, but it's hard to adjust after 70 games doing it one way and in the heat of the moment relaxing and not firing along the boards. As the series progresses, I hope it'll come more naturally.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
The Flyers were punched in the mouth on Friday. I think the first two games told the coaches they weren't going to be able to go in and just dominate with skill and passing.

The Flyers coaching went back to the drawing board and have decided to just shut everything down in hopes they can just win based off inertia and special teams.

I think things have swung too far and the Flyers are holding themselves back. They are very afraid of Montreal's speed and transition game.

The Flyers need to just go back to being more careful with the puck through the neutral zone and utilize a softer touch on dumps.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
yes i now provy is shooting at an unsustainable rate. However that doesn't take away from the fact that he has the best shot interms of power and accuracy and ability to get it on net as anyone we have on the blueline not named ghost. Myers does have potential but isn't there yet.
But we have someone who is named Ghost. Like I said, he hasn't had a single second of icetime on the PP with Giroux on the correct side of the ice since 2018.

He's the obvious fix. Provorov sucks there. Time to let that experiment die. He's just a turret who sucks at everything else and that's not good enough. The PP is about puck movement, not exclusively taking predictable point shots.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
dude he was definitely not the problem the last two games. He has been like the 7th man these last two games which is kinda scary. That means he still is capable of stealing another game. We need more scoring chances
I'm mis understanding your first part?. It's hard to get those scoring chances when you have a hard time with carry in zone entries. The Habs know they have price, and that if we dump behind him he's going to turn the play the other way. It's been maddening how good he has been at it.

So..our zone entries are kind of limited...

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think they've been coached this, but it's hard to adjust after 70 games doing it one way and in the heat of the moment relaxing and not firing along the boards. As the series progresses, I hope it'll come more naturally.
multiple times at the blue line we shot it in the corners. I think for longer dump ins....well....we are just screwed. Can't carry it in....just hoping for the best.

Also...we were pretty successful with dump and chase forecheck most of the year. It's just not going to happen with Price.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
sanheim has a solid wrister, great mobility, great vision. However on a team with dearth of shooters adding another guy with no shot from the blueline is compounding the problem this team has. With the puck on giroux's stick our number one play is getting the puck to provy for a one timer. You take that play away and what other options does giroux have?
I think it's better than just solid, but I would like to see it given a chance or even slide in Ghost. I think Sanheim is pretty good at getting pucks through in ways that Provorov hasn't really had the space to do. Provorov on the side boards may work better.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
also, can ANYONE explain to me why AV decided to send grant to the box on that Hart penalty? WTF. He was actually doing great on the pk and had a short handed chance with couts.... again it comes back to thompson. He feels "safe" with thompson and thinks he can afford to have grant go to the box. Unless I am not reading the rules right, I think you can send ANYONE to the box in that situation, not someone who was on the ice. Please lmk because that tells us all what kind of coach AV is.

Reactions: TheKingPin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I'm mis understanding your first part?. It's hard to get those scoring chances when you have a hard time with carry in zone entries. The Habs know they have price, and that if we dump behind him he's going to turn the play the other way. It's been maddening how good he has been at it.

So..our zone entries are kind of limited...

I actually thought our zone entries were A TON better than last game. Price did not handle the puck as much as did in other games. Flyers did a great job of getting it in corners or skating it in. The problem was getting pucks on net.

Reactions: patrick kitchin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Anyone else a little worried we aren't blowing the doors off of a crappy .500 team that shouldn't even be here?
big time...3 biggest issues and worries for me were coaching related:

in any order because it was all wtf moments:

1. sending grant to the box after the hart pk...he was doing great on the pk and its his only useful role pretty much. You put a non pker in the box whyyyyyyyyyyyy
2. the fact that he thinks he can afford to lose grant because he knows he has thompson in a pk role...
3. using thompson when he lost almost all of his faceoffs to suzuki (won one because KK came in after suzuki was thrown out)...all on thompson's strong side btw
4. not changing the pp after it did nothing in the first 3
5. PUTTING RAFFL ON 2ND LW when laughton was bad. You're telling me that no one else can even play there??? He has JVR/farabee on a leash
6. He puts Grant on the 2nd pp smh

*** im sure there are more. This game did not install confidence in me in the coaching staff. I was kinda iffy and giviing AV passes because I thought he would be able to adjust well. Until I see a better effort and change...idk. It seemed that he was very adamant on just trying to:

1. get the lead and maintain it (not a recipe for success against a confidantteam)
2. really bet on the top guys to score a lot via EV and PP (only one of which was done)

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I actually thought our zone entries were A TON better than last game. Price did not handle the puck as much as did in other games. Flyers did a great job of getting it in corners or skating it in. The problem was getting pucks on net.
yes it was better. I'm just saying price alone basically takes one of our strengths and turns it into a Habs strength.

Generally speaking...our team speed is butt. They pressure us on zone entry (and they can be aggressive because price is both good in net and on the dump and chase retrieval.) And we flub it up.

I've never believed price should get 10m per...but he sure is their MVP right now IMO.

This series is probably going to continue to look ugly for us to win.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Anyone else a little worried we aren't blowing the doors off of a crappy .500 team that shouldn't even be here?

I worry a little, but to be fair they killed the Pens. You know how these things go in/around the playoffs: hot teams are killers. We're hot, that's true - but they're hot and have the top goalie. Right now we're lucky we happen to have the 2nd best goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad