Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
He really hasn't been though.

View attachment 361688

Note his partner in the middle of the pack. Petry is their best defensemen and he hasn't gotten nearly the pub.

-1 too.

idc what the numbers show he has been very effective for them, defensively. He has been much more effective than hagg/braun and all of them are 6th defensemen. The fact that we haven't been able to exploit him given the fact that he is on the top pair shows how bad we have been

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov's shot isn't useful or threatening. He takes shots from too far out. he doesn't take advantage of space. There is no subtlety to his PP game, which makes him very easy to predict which in turn makes it harder for him to set others up for shots.
Just to add to this, since it was discussed a few days back.

S5Gg4YD.png

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
the coaches need to change things up. Players are being used in spots they shouldn't and we are just stuck blaming laughton, provorov (who outside of the pp has been great), niskanen on the 2nd pp (why tf is he still on there), grant being 3c, tk being ineffective playing with two guys who just want to turn the puck over...coaches need to open this up

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
....What?

Even if that were true, and it isn't, having a dman who can set up players brings a ton of flexibility, then if his only function is shooting, then he is not a good option. Like I said, he doesn't use space well and his shots are from far further out. Both Sanheim and Ghost are vastly better at creating higher quality shots. Both are also far less predictable and harder to read. Provorov telegraphs everything. Nothing he does is a surprise, and that makes defending easy.

There is 1 puck. Who the f*** do you want in possession of that puck. If Ghost knew the answer he would still be on pp1. Its not hard. Get the puck to giroux and get yourself in shooting lanes

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Anyone have a shot chart heat map for the game. Yes they hit some posts, but in general sure felt like we deliberately kept them to the outside the entire game.

Effort certainly was there, more so than in game two... Tried to keep the puck away from price. He's quite the weapon to leading Canadian breakouts.
At 5v5...

84156daf3181935a53632b9696848f02.png

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
There is 1 puck. Who the f*** do you want in possession of that puck. If Ghost knew the answer he would still be on pp1. Its not hard. Get the puck to giroux and get yourself in shooting lanes
Yeah but how can we know if ghost can help the PP like he was able to a few years ago if he doesn’t get to play a few games in a row at the very least just to get in the groove at least? If he can get going on the PP he is a truly deadly weapon to have

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
He can clear the crease and he can use his body to pinch people off in the corners and take the puck, he did it a few times this game.

He tends to get outmuscled in netfront battles.

Hagg’s board hugs are legendary on this board. Infamous ya might say

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
re: the PP1.

Besides discussing the obvious which won't happen, TK isn't good enough on the PP to be a full-time half wall player and getting more touches than Giroux. The PP has never really been his forte to begin with. Playing on his strong side with no one-time option, the only option he really has is a short side wrist shot. He can't hit the seam pass to Giroux because Montreal is just sitting on it knowing his options are limited. We have a LH bumper in Coots who can't even be a quick one-time option for him. I don't know what made them think Voracek should be the net-front option.

PP2 - there are no words and it is a reflection of our lack of depth up front. You're running a 2D PP unit as it is. You need to have skilled forwards if you have any chance. Hayes cannot be the QB of the unit. I'm NAK's #1 fan but he shouldn't be on an NHL PP of a contending team. Maybe as the fifth wheel on a really strong group, but that ain't this one. And Grant needs no further comment. That was embarrassing.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah but how can we know if ghost can help the PP like he was able to a few years ago if he doesn’t get to play a few games in a row at the very least just to get in the groove at least? If he can get going on the PP he is a truly deadly weapon to have
He hasn't been on the PP with Giroux on the correct side since 2018. Think about that for a second. He hasn't had a single chance there since Hakstol was coach.

Ghost > Provorov on the PP is simply a no-brainer right/wrong question.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Dude played a whole year where he basically decided to shoot at will and look off giroux time and time again. Ghost needs one timers , but rarely does he allow giroux to set him up. Ghost has the ability to be the best pp dman in the league but him and giroux have had chemistry problems outside that big year

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
AV is the best coach we've had in decades... This is the best team we've had since 2011 (not roster).... the team hasn't found their game offensively (its obvious blame Covid) and the speed of the Habs has had them on their heels. The First period is how we have to play these guys. Use the body, work the boards and get pucks to the net. Price has done a great job playing the puck which is eliminating one of our strengths the forecheck and creating turnovers. I hear people's frustration regarding Grant. I personally think he was on a role this season, he played fairly well when we traded for him (before Covid). I do agree he now looks like the stiff he's been for most of his career which is killing that line. AV putting him on the PP was beyond ridiculous but overall the teams defensive focus was good for the most part. Team still looks intimidated by the Habs speed. They need to figure that out or were done

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know what people expect, we're gonna play Farabee and Frost and outskate Montreal?
This was playoff hockey, it's ugly but a win is a win.
Maybe you didn't notice, but the Habs approach was they can't call everything a penalty, it was like a time warp, they were holding, tripping, hooking with disdain for the refs. Farabee and Frost would have been eaten alive.

Raffl had a heck of a game, his timing was off and he didn't have a lot of help, but he was constantly involved in the play.
Playing Raffl and Hagg changed the tone, the Flyers were more physical, they weren't the only reason, but they had an impact.

Yes, Thompson is bad, except he wins a key faceoff in his own zone protecting a 1-0 against a 6 on 5 at the end of the game, sometimes it's when you do something good, not how often.

Flyers were taking the body for the first time on a consistent basis, and yes, it does wear down an opponent.

Voracek can joke about scoring goals without his stick, but he'd better commit to a PF role, because his skills are eroding and if he doesn't use the body, fore-check and back-check, he should be benched. Blind passes over the middle are a gift to the Habs.

Sanheim and Myers must have watched their film from Friday, b/c they were possessed, especially Sanheim who showed some cojones.

Hayes can be frustrating, but he probably had more zone entries than the rest of the team combined. It would help if his forwards got off their asses and gave him someone to pass the puck to.

TK has regressed in the playoffs, though he is shooting more and not forcing passes in traffic, bad retaliation penalty and probably the worst Flyer on the PP. He really isn't a very instinctive player.

Yeah it was butt ugly, but that 's what Montreal wants, frustrate you into bad decisions then jump on your mistakes and let Price win the game - they're just not used to a team willing to get into the mud with them, and who have a goalie just as good. You have to grind them down over a 6/7 game series until they lose a step and the floodgates open.

Playoff hockey: "Just win baby."

PS: Would someone tell our forwards when you dump the puck in, that Price is probably the best puck handling goalie in the NHL? So don't try those plays where you send it around the back of the goal - b/c it never gets there!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
re: the PP1.

Besides discussing the obvious which won't happen, TK isn't good enough on the PP to be a full-time half wall player and getting more touches than Giroux. The PP has never really been his forte to begin with. Playing on his strong side with no one-time option, the only option he really has is a short side wrist shot. He can't hit the seam pass to Giroux because Montreal is just sitting on it knowing his options are limited. We have a LH bumper in Coots who can't even be a quick one-time option for him. I don't know what made them think Voracek should be the net-front option.

PP2 - there are no words and it is a reflection of our lack of depth up front. You're running a 2D PP unit as it is. You need to have skilled forwards if you have any chance. Hayes cannot be the QB of the unit. I'm NAK's #1 fan but he shouldn't be on an NHL PP of a contending team. Maybe as the fifth wheel on a really strong group, but that ain't this one. And Grant needs no further comment. That was embarrassing.
I feel like we could ice an at least semi-passable PP2 with some combination of Sanheim, Farabee, TK, and Frost. It's not like it could be worse than what we currently have.

Then get rid of Provorov and replace TK on the top unit with JVR and just plop him in front of the net, obviously.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
He hasn't been on the PP with Giroux on the correct side since 2018. Think about that for a second. He hasn't had a single chance there since Hakstol was coach.

Ghost > Provorov on the PP is simply a no-brainer right/wrong question.
I agree with some of that. At the same time this coaching staff kept G on his off wing on the PP for almost the whole year until they switched him back and boom, points started to rack up again. My feeling is ghost can provide a lot more than hagg if they can get him going so why not give him the opportunity? The risk vs reward to me is not a big deal because if he doesn’t get going not much changes anyway. Not having hagg in doesn’t mess up or change how the team plays he’s kind of a non factor

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't mind keeping Provorov on the 1st PP, but I think if you are running the umbrella, he should be on the other side with Sanheim or Ghost running point.

I don't think the other team fears Provorov's shot right now on the PK. Moving him may help things, but his current position isn't working.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad