Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I try not to think about it and then I look at my draft list and am reminded about how many players I like in the middle of the draft.
I forgot the word "upgrade" because I'm stupid, but you got the point. :laugh:

And yeah, when we made the trade I got shit for saying it was awful to pay a draft picks to weaken our lineup and I was told it was stupid to worry because it was just a 4th and 5th rounder.

1arcvy.jpg

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Funny how that works out. We gave them a draft pick AND the ability to absolutely trash him every time he's on the ice against them.

Now, none of us could have foreseen us aging against MTL in the playoffs, but this like paying to bend over, then laying extra for no lube.
On the other hand, if they still had Thompson the Habs might not have gotten past Pittsburgh (also robbing us of that joy), so really Fletch kept them from Lafrenière.

... and gave him to the Rangers. :(

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I think putting someone like Sanheim on the 1st PP and shifting Provorov to the 2nd PP may help.

Also, why isn't JVR bring used down low anymore? Putting Raffl or JVR down low to screen and deflect puck may better than their current PP strategy.

I feel like the Flyers may have gone a little overboard in their clampdown tonight. It's one thing to play conservative with the lead, but putting Grant on the PP and bleeding the clock is a questionable decision.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I’m not saying it was pretty but I think it’s obvious that some people need a reminder

the flyers won.

I’d rather an ugly 2-1 than a pretty 1-2

The win is great and all, but if we keep repeating these mistakes we'll be lucky to get out of the series, let alone advance past the next round. It's not like this was a low event game after two really good ones. We had 1.5 good periods in game 1 and 0 in game 2. It's not a comforting trend.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This team doesn't even sneeze at their success this year with Hakstol at the helm. AV at least preaches actual winning hockey
I think they could (not necessarily would, but could), as bad as Hakstol was.

AVs impact is overrated. They weren't exactly tearing it up before that ending win streak and it's not like that was his doing. His system is (was?) better than Haks, so I'll give him credit for that much.
He did - and is still currently doing - a lot of the same stupid things, just with a better roster and faaaaaaaaar better goaltending. Plus, this staff managed to screw up things Hakstol never did, like an elite PP.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
As long as the coaches don't take this win at face value and see what the recurring problems are to make them better.....

"AV praises play of Hagg and Raffl; he thought the fourth line was among team’s best tonight."

tenor.gif

Again, who in your mind is out best dman? Also what reoccurring problems are you referring to?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
he actually has been amazing for montreal. Give them credit, especially price, chiarot, KK, and suziki. Suzuki and KK have been amazing.
He really hasn't been though.

upload_2020-8-17_0-19-58.png

Note his partner in the middle of the pack. Petry is their best defensemen and he hasn't gotten nearly the pub.

2nd star of the game AINEC
-1 too.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
I’m not saying it was pretty but I think it’s obvious that some people need a reminder

the flyers won.

I’d rather an ugly 2-1 than a pretty 1-2
I too am happy when it's my turn to pull the trigger and an empty revolver chamber is up. But why does Coach make us play this game? It's only a matter of time!

Gosh, that's too dark. :laugh: I feel the good vibes, too!

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think putting someone like Sanheim on the 1st PP and shifting Provorov to the 2nd PP may help.

Also, why isn't JVR bring used down low anymore? Putting Raffl or JVR down low to screen and deflect puck may better than their current PP strategy.

I feel like the Flyers may have gone a little overboard in their clampdown tonight. It's one thing to play conservative with the lead, but putting Grant on the PP and bleeding the clock is a questionable decision.

provorov is thr best shot on our pp1 on a pp with no good shots. You take him away and add sanheim we have no weapons

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
provorov is thr best shot on our pp1 on a pp with no good shots. You take him away and add sanheim we have no weapons

Provorov's shot isn't useful or threatening. He takes shots from too far out. he doesn't take advantage of space. There is no subtlety to his PP game, which makes him very easy to predict which in turn makes it harder for him to set others up for shots.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Provorov's shot isn't useful or threatening. He takes shots from too far out. he doesn't take advantage of space. There is no subtlety to his PP game, which makes him very easy to predict which in turn makes it harder for him to set others up for shots.
His job is not to set up others. That is Claude’s job

Reactions: LorneMalvo

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Anyone have a shot chart heat map for the game. Yes they hit some posts, but in general sure felt like we deliberately kept them to the outside the entire game.

Effort certainly was there, more so than in game two... Tried to keep the puck away from price. He's quite the weapon to leading Canadian breakouts.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His job is not to set up others. That is Claude’s job

....What?

Even if that were true, and it isn't, having a dman who can set up players brings a ton of flexibility, then if his only function is shooting, then he is not a good option. Like I said, he doesn't use space well and his shots are from far further out. Both Sanheim and Ghost are vastly better at creating higher quality shots. Both are also far less predictable and harder to read. Provorov telegraphs everything. Nothing he does is a surprise, and that makes defending easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad