Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AV praises play of Hagg and Raffl; he thought the fourth line was among team’s best tonight.</p>&mdash; Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) <a href="">August 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2fe.jpg

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
get through this series. repeat vs Islanders. then, rubber match v TB or Boston.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
I want to be positive, and it's not about style points in elimination games. But the Flyers game plan was to basically make the game as low event as humanly possible -- although Scott Laughton didn't get the memo -- and grind their way from an early 1 goal lead. Rely on the Couturier line, one defense pair (Sanheim-Myers), and goaltending. Against the 12th place team in the East. That's a strategy a team does because they LACK the talent advantage, not because they're the 1st seed.

Canadiens were a hair and a post off today. The Flyers did everything in their power, at evens and special teams, to not run away with the game. They probably beat the Canadiens this series, as they should. But these just aren't inspiring wins for a team that wants to go deeper. There's enough in this tape to not take this win for granted, but I smell a whiff of confirmation bias coming from tomorrow's coaching meeting.
great post

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
He’s underrated to a point. When he’s in his proper position in the lineup, I. E. Bottom 6, he’s great. People keep thinking of him as a player that “can play in the first line” still and underrate him thinking he’s a shell of his former self.
He played above his head and was carried when he was on the first line.

I like Raffl. I hate him in the top 6, I LOVE him in the bottom 6.

I think the majority of us that love Raffl love him because he is exactly what you want in a 4th liner/bottom 6er. I never want Raffl in the top 6, I dont even want 6 Raffls in the bottom 6. But I would love to have three or 4 players of his mold.

He skates well, can take draws, is excellent in the defensive end, very smart with the puck, is a big body, is hard on the walls, is a hard forechecker and goes to the net hard, he can consistently make good passes to relieve pressure, can create some scoring and has the hands to finish some of his scoring opportunities all while having a good motor.

Its why I like idea of Raffl-Bunny-Pitlick, I feel like all three are of that ilk but Raffl is the most effective of the three.

I think a bottom 6 of a Raffl Clone-Patrick/Frost-Farabee and three Raffl clones on the 4th line would be a nightmare to play against and line match with.

I think he is underrated because people get frustrated that he doesnt score more because he looks like he should have the skills to produce more... looking at you @bennysflyers16 ;)

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
ughh.....for me this game was a pretty much blah. I love how hart, provy, sanheim, myers, grant (to his level), and a few others played but thats it. PP was god awful. Easily should've been a 3-0, 4-1 game if the pp scored. It kinda just showed how weak out bottom 6 was. Get laughton out of the top 6, my god that was bad. The thing that really sucks about this game is that AV will not change a damn thing come game 2. He will probably tell thierien to change minor things about the pp but we are going to go back to playing "defensive" hockey. AV's adjustment was to play very conservatively and it downplayed out talent level. This was his "adjustment and game plan" and that just sucks. Going to be minimal changes in game 4 and unless the flyers show more confidence...

The couts line, while the only effective line will not win this series. No way they can gut it out and outscore the whole montreal team to win another game. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER not on the top line and sanheim-myers pair had AWFUL numbers. How is that even a thing with the talent on this roster.

The fact that after two periods of 0% CF for raffl, thompson, and pitlick can equate to better than grant OR almost similar to everyone in the bottom 9 is EMBARASSING. How can the coaching staff not break up the top 9. Laughton and g/voracek need to stop being anchors. Its not just about this series, we need to play better or we are going to get smoked by a better team.

Solution:

-laughton being in the bottom 6
-pp needs a change up, 0-6 and no shots on 3+ pp is just atrocious
-jvr being utilized better
-thompson out, god he is so bad. He lost 4-5 key faceoffs to a rookie in suzuki....ya he is so amazing at faceoffs. If this was boston, vegas, or avs we are toast on that 5 on 3/ late game scenarios
-hagg was not the problem in this game. He actually played pretty well compared to braun. Both are ass but I would rather have ghost than braun or hagg right now. We have seen that ghost just doesn't work as well as it should with braun so lets try hagg-ghost. Why not?

Reactions: marcsson68

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Cannot resist.

Tim Curry should have won an Oscar. Somehow he played a perfect Long John while surrounded by Muppets. And sang beautifully.

Now take Sir Francis Drake, the Spanish all despise him
But to the British, he's a hero and they idolise him
It's how you look at buccaneers that makes them bad or good
And I see us as members of a noble brotherhood

Some say that pirates steal and should be feared and hated
I say we're victims of bad press that's all exaggerated
We never stab you in the back, we never lie or cheat
We're just, in fact, the nicest guy you ever want to meet

I militantly believe Michael Caine is the best Scrooge, and he did that with Muppets.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AV praises play of Hagg and Raffl; he thought the fourth line was among team’s best tonight.</p>&mdash; Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) <a href="">August 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's so disappointing. :(

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov
14:52 5v5 TOI
35.48 CF% (-12.43 rel)
38.69 xGF% (-25.47 rel)
Niskanen
16:22* 5v5 TOI
35.14 CF% (-14.86 rel)
39.76 xGF% (-25.93 rel)
Sanheim
13:31 5v5 TOI
54.17 CF% (15.98 rel)
73.01 xGF% (26.77 rel)
Myers
13:45 5v5 TOI
54.17 CF% (15.98 rel)
83.92 xGF% (40.66 rel)
Hagg
11:10 5v5 TOI
40.00 CF% (-4.07 rel)
50.07 xGF% (-2.57 rel)

Braun
11:13 5v5 TOI
45.45 CF% (3.35 rel)
58.37 xGF% (9.19 rel)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*highest of any skater on the team... #accountability

"Well, that doesn't look so bad for the bottom pair" -you

Not so fast, chief. Take a look here...

Hagg
With the top line:
66.67 CF%
97.72 xGF%

Without the top line:
35.29 CF%
26.35 xGF%

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
only thing great about this game was how amazing sanheim, myers, and hart are. Provorov was great on a lot of individual efforts/stick plays but man it sucks to see his numbers so bad with niskanen. I never thought niskanen was going to be such a negative after the year he had. There was some doubts about him when we got him and unfortunately, we are seeing all of that right now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Some people hate it, but lots of coaches prefer low event hockey. Instead of trying to match Montreals speed with skill guys, they instead went for sufocating the ice available and it worked,

Bank the win, move on to the next one.

We are up 2-1 and have yet to have our PP or depth scoring help out.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The fact that AV has kept Niskanen and Braun in, scapegoated Ghost, and then praised Hagg is the only proof I'll ever need to endlessly shit on this guy.

It just proves he doesn't care at all about quality of play and just fetishizes bad players and old guys. He's a coward, just like Hakstol.

If he keeps this up and our top line, "2nd" pair, and Hart don't continue to carry the team with superhuman performances all by themselves, we're done. We have zero depth thanks to him and our PP has been completely ruined.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I’m going to hear him in my head explaining that he wants them to “play with Puppy Power in front of the net” in a cartoonish Quebecois accent for days. I loathe you. I also deserved it.

So just a normal Quebecois accent then?

Couts is great, I see no flaws in the line up. The cup should be a lock.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
tbh im glad this was a 1-0 game. If the pp scored, which it should have, it would've made the staff feel like there ain't a damn thing to change. Until we all see something significant change (domination), we are all going to complain. It is definitely more frustrating for us (more so than the pens), because we are capable of putting out more than what we are providing. Pens put their strenght out there. We still haven't put the best lines, pp, and d pairs out. Just all around coaching error and it sucks for a young team like us. I hope they figure this out quick

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Some people hate it, but lots of coaches prefer low event hockey. Instead of trying to match Montreals speed with skill guys, they instead went for sufocating the ice available and it worked,

Bank the win, move on to the next one.

We are up 2-1 and have yet to have our PP or depth scoring help out.

The problem with this is that we could have easily lost this game for a matter of inches. We didn't even suffocate a low event game. We played a low event game and eked out a win. Thata not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad