Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
THE 4TH LINE HAD THE MOST 5v5 ICETIME :laugh:

Meanwhile...

Giroux-Couturier-Jake = 66.67 CF%, 90.88 xGF%
Anyone complaining about any of the three is out of their minds.
In a one-goal game, to boot! It's not like the top guys were out there on fifteen full power plays and needed the breather, or it was a laugher and the time was (rightfully) spread out.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
lel I never said I was just talking about the players

I wanted them to come out and give the kind of response Lavy would want. I get that they got their ultimate "response" by getting an early lead and slowly choked the opponent out, but f***.
The kind of response you want isn't possible with the current lines/pairs. They're all busting their asses, even the trash players, but their ability is severely capped by a mix of bad players, bad lines/pairs, bad systems, and bad usage.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Tk is really struggling

I think TK actually looks like he has some jump to his game, but Laughton and especially Hayes have been rough. Hayes hasn't looked this out of place within the system all season, he has constantly skated himself into positions where he has zero clean options and only low probability plays to make.

Ill say it at again, Hayes has all star skills but is very much held back by his IQ, not that its atrocious but it is the bottle neck that holds him back. A team that plays the low event shut down hockey that the Habs do can very much expose that weakness in a player.

Couts is great, I see no flaws in the line up. The cup should be a lock.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I want to be positive, and it's not about style points in elimination games. But the Flyers game plan was to basically make the game as low event as humanly possible -- although Scott Laughton didn't get the memo -- and grind their way from an early 1 goal lead. Rely on the Couturier line, one defense pair (Sanheim-Myers), and goaltending. Against the 12th place team in the East. That's a strategy a team does because they LACK the talent advantage, not because they're the 1st seed.

Canadiens were a hair and a post off today. The Flyers did everything in their power, at evens and special teams, to not run away with the game. They probably beat the Canadiens this series, as they should. But these just aren't inspiring wins for a team that wants to go deeper. There's enough in this tape to not take this win for granted, but I smell a whiff of confirmation bias coming from tomorrow's coaching meeting.

The three forward lines (especially the bottom six), the bottom pairing, Niskanen, the PP, etc. we’re essentially winning in spite of these things right now. If we somehow win this series it’s not going to get any easier if these issues still exist.

Hart is essentially the biggest eraser in this whole equation right now that’s justifying the stupidity in not trying to correct these things.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I saw a defenseman who played it simple instead of getting exposed each and every time he's on the ice. When Ghost has the puck in the corner my heartrate is comparable to a breakaway on Bryz. What was he, minus-5 last game?
Gostisbehere is what he is. You can win with guys like that but your other defensemen have to be ROCK solid. Sure would be nice to see him on the power play.

Anyway, Gostisbehere has a chronic knee or hip problem; he can’t turn the way he used to, it seems stark to me when I watch him these days. Left knee maybe? They are some plays from last year where it’s obvious. It’s a shame.

Reactions: marcsson68

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Flyers didn't suffocate anything in Game 2. They just got steamrolled. :laugh:

Yeh.

2.5 periods today they controlled play. It was not pretty play. But they controlled it.

3rd period of game 1.

was the only time in first two games they did that so far. (1st period of game 1 was good... but a bit pond-hockey-ish/runaway train.)

I hate the hockey they played. But it was effective. And not too "lucky" but generally effective.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Therrien is more of a Muppet than Scooby Doo.

Cannot resist.

Tim Curry should have won an Oscar. Somehow he played a perfect Long John while surrounded by Muppets. And sang beautifully.

Now take Sir Francis Drake, the Spanish all despise him
But to the British, he's a hero and they idolise him
It's how you look at buccaneers that makes them bad or good
And I see us as members of a noble brotherhood

Some say that pirates steal and should be feared and hated
I say we're victims of bad press that's all exaggerated
We never stab you in the back, we never lie or cheat
We're just, in fact, the nicest guy you ever want to meet

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
This team looks bad because we have forgotten what playoff hockey sometime looks like - no time, no space, no art, no creativity, no formation or organization, no beauty.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AV praises play of Hagg and Raffl; he thought the fourth line was among team’s best tonight.</p>&mdash; Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) <a href="">August 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm here to post the one beautiful thing we can talk about after tonight's game.

20200816_234241.jpg

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AV praises play of Hagg and Raffl; he thought the fourth line was among team’s best tonight.</p>&mdash; Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) <a href="">August 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Live and die by Thompson it is, then.

At least the flyers will get some rest before next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad