Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

Possibly the bets game I've seen Hyman play. makes a highlight-reel goal, but komarov is competitive

Familiarity isn't necessarily a good thing. I'd like for there to have been some success there that didn't come 3+ years ago. I don't know what metrics babs sometimes uses to judge players.. It's like he's on a completely different planet at times. I thought Komorov played pretty poorly last night for a vet.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Terrible take from Babcock. That's a horrible excuse to put him on the first line.

"He was competitive last night and we’re trying to get the most competitive people involved as much as we possibly can."

If anyone was competitive it was Hyman, no need for him to be moved down to line 2.

It doesn’t make any sense. Hyman has been glued with Matthews the last two years, he was our best player last night and he gets demoted for Leo freaking Komarov who isn’t even an NHLer any more?

Nylander and Matthews just need to ignore him and do their thing tomorrow. Simple as that. Pass the puck to Komarov as your very last resort.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Terrible take from Babcock. That's a horrible excuse to put him on the first line.

"He was competitive last night and we’re trying to get the most competitive people involved as much as we possibly can."

If anyone was competitive it was Hyman, no need for him to be moved down to line 2.
I think Hyman moving down helps the line that just lost Kadri. We'll see how Komarov does when he's directly matched against Marchand on Saturday instead of meeting him periodically on line changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBeL34f

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

well if Kadri didn't do something that would have gotten him suspended, I don't think hyman would have been moved down. Marleau is going to the middle, and his forcheck won't be as effective. thus you move Hyman to Marleau's wing so you don't lose out on that (from his line).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I wonder how frustrated Matthews is with Babcock. It’s Year 2 and he still doesn’t come close to the ice time other stars get in the league in ES or the PP and now he gets saddled with one of the worst players on our roster in an important playoff game.

Is Babcock even trying?

I’m sure that will be an internal talking point between Matthews, his agent and the Leafs management.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It doesn’t make any sense. Hyman has been glued with Matthews the last two years, he was our best player last night and he gets demoted for Leo freaking Komarov who isn’t even an NHLer any more?

Nylander and Matthews just need to ignore him and do their thing tomorrow. Simple as that. Pass the puck to Komarov as your very last resort.

well i'd just be happy if Nylander and matthews play better tomorrow.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Possibly the bets game I've seen Hyman play. makes a highlight-reel goal, but komarov is competitive

Oh well f*** it then, if he's familiar let's just stack it up.

Komarov - Plekanic - Bozak. Let's just line match these guys against that line all night because they've all seen a lot of them of the years.

Pathetic excuse. How does this f***ing guy NOT see Komarov is useless now? How does he see the 4th line take over 3 games in a row and then put Komarov in, and THEN see the 4th line become a non factor and think.. Hmm not only should I NOT take out this guy, I think I should put him on the top f***ing line to get my best players going.

FFS.

Reactions: Pi

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Technically couldn't Babcock still called his timeout if he wanted to since the puck had not been dropped at centre. Of course if he could have it meant he wouldn't have been to allowed to challenge any goalie interference calls should one have happened.
He could have called his timeout at any time, it wouldn't have served any purpose then though.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think Babcock’s quotes here are all motivational and mind games with his own players.

He’s trying to tell the kids to earn their ice time, by competing as hard as Komarov. What sucks is that even when Komarov is competing and making out with Marchand, he’s getting waxed. Hopefully these quotes kick our players in the ass and get them to raise our compete level on Saturday.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

This is the biggest problem with Babcock. He’s unwilling to give his young stars a chance. He wants them to play in a certain manner and if they deviate from that, they either get demoted or they get stuck with shitty players.

Look at Nylander's results at centre:

What would have been wrong had we gone with:

Hyman-Matthews-Johnsson (two fast forechecking wingers)
Marleau-Nylander-Marner
Bozak line
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

Babcock is so afraid of Boston scoring on us that he’s sacrificing any chance the Leafs have to blow a game wide open.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder how frustrated Matthews is with Babcock. It’s Year 2 and he still doesn’t come close to the ice time other stars get in the league in ES or the PP and now he gets saddled with one of the worst players on our roster in an important playoff game.

Is Babcock even trying?

I’m sure that will be an internal talking point between Matthews, his agent and the Leafs management.

so?
i think it's been stated more than once a lot of the ice time thing has been working in conjunction with sports science department. I also think (i could be wrong on this one so if you have the numbers, then i'll concede this point) on a whole the powerplay that matthews isn't on has been better in 2 years than the one Matthews has been on. and Matthews has been producing at a pretty good clip despite the injuries and limited time. so why would they play him more if he's producing that well.

We didn't lose last night because Komarov played or that Matthews had less time than other stars in the league. We lost because the team didn't play well period, including matthews. him having more time wouldn't have changed that fact.

Reactions: deepz and IBeL34f

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Regardless of what happens this year, I’m really curious to see what a team built by Kyle Dubas will look like. He’s pretty open about about how much he dislikes “safe players”

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is the biggest problem with Babcock. He’s unwilling to give his young stars a chance. He wants them to play in a certain manner and if they deviate from that, they either get demoted or they get stuck with ****ty players.

Look at Nylander's results at centre:

What would have been wrong had we gone with:

Hyman-Matthews-Johnsson (two fast forechecking wingers)
Marleau-Nylander-Marner
Bozak line
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

Babcock is so afraid of Boston scoring on us that he’s sacrificing any chance the Leafs have to blow a game wide open.

This.

Kapanen was on the ice with Matthews for 30 seconds and set him up. Put Kapanen on the wing and put Nylander to center with Marner. Literally almost anything other than what he did is the best. I am so f***ing salty right now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Regardless of what happens this year, I’m really curious to see what a team built by Kyle Dubas will look like. He’s pretty open about about how much he dislikes “safe players”
When do you expect that to happen?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Sadly, Babcock makes the big bucks and Dubas is just a kid. Shanahan needs to give Dubas full control otherwise Babcock may as well be the de facto GM of this team.

I’d love to know what Dubas is thinking right now. I’m sure there would be a few players that wouldn’t be anywhere near this roster if he was GM.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
so?
i think it's been stated more than once a lot of the ice time thing has been working in conjunction with sports science department. I also think (i could be wrong on this one so if you have the numbers, then i'll concede this point) on a whole the powerplay that matthews isn't on has been better in 2 years than the one Matthews has been on. and Matthews has been producing at a pretty good clip despite the injuries and limited time. so why would they play him more if he's producing that well.

We didn't lose last night because Komarov played or that Matthews had less time than other stars in the league. We lost because the team didn't play well period, including matthews. him having more time wouldn't have changed that fact.
What about how Matthews said his shoulder will still be an issue for him. Could that be a reason for what his ice time has been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad