Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Enough with the Babcock soundbites. So sick of his backhanded compliments, passive aggressive statements and his stupid buzzwords. Stop trying to make us better men, but instead better hockey players by creating an optimal lineup. It's getting so played out. "We're good, gotta play good" ...."What makes him good is he's competitive"..."stick-to-it-ive-ness"..."When you don't make people accountable, it leads to a superstar mentality where not everyone on the team is important"...."We're way better, let's be better"...

Reactions: Pi

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is the biggest problem with Babcock. He’s unwilling to give his young stars a chance. He wants them to play in a certain manner and if they deviate from that, they either get demoted or they get stuck with ****ty players.

Look at Nylander's results at centre:

What would have been wrong had we gone with:

Hyman-Matthews-Johnsson (two fast forechecking wingers)
Marleau-Nylander-Marner
Bozak line
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

Babcock is so afraid of Boston scoring on us that he’s sacrificing any chance the Leafs have to blow a game wide open.

It's always safety first with Babs, doesn't shock me at all. Unfortunately his safety first attitude was disastrous in game 1.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What about how Matthews said his shoulder will still be an issue for him. Could that be a reason for what his ice time has been?

it didn't help that Marchand was throwing his elbows around etc, and Matthews having to basically dance around that dumbo. but in fairness - he wasn't playing like the Matthews we know and expect.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
So let me get this straight because I haven’t read through the last few pages.....Babcock is putting Komarov on the top line for Game 2?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's always safety first with Babs, doesn't shock me at all. Unfortunately his safety first attitude was disastrous in game 1.

For a coach as highly regarded as Babcock, he coaches like he’s afraid of losing rather than trying to win.

I mean, Leo Komarov was a staple on 3v3 OT last season. He really tried to match lines in 3v3 which is barely even hockey. Babcock is a slow learner.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Andersen wasn’t to blame for the loss last night. He made some great saves, even on Kuralys goal.
Maybe not directly. But I wish 5 goals wasn’t an expectation for him. For some one who was supposedly in the running for the Vezina, he gives me very little confidence back there.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
So let me get this straight because I haven’t read through the last few pages.....Babcock is putting Komarov on the top line for Game 2?

Komarov is with matty + will
hyman is with marner + marleau
bozak line is the same.
johnsson is in.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
well if Kadri didn't do something that would have gotten him suspended, I don't think hyman would have been moved down. Marleau is going to the middle, and his forcheck won't be as effective. thus you move Hyman to Marleau's wing so you don't lose out on that (from his line).
I understand the dynamics of why he was placed, but if Komarov is a real "man" like Babcock always mentions he should be able to forecheck and play his game on the second line with Marleau. Why move Hyman from a line that has chemistry and scored the lone goal in the game? Putting Komarov on that line because of what he "has done" or what he was "able to do in the past" is the wrong tactic. But what do I know.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
of course it was a disaster. And even though he got destroyed against 4th line competition and should be benched, Babcock now willingly wants Komarov to face the best line in the league. he has no clue

Reactions: MR4

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Maybe not directly. But I wish 5 goals wasn’t an expectation for him. For some one who was supposedly in the running for the Vezina, he gives me very little confidence back there.
I’m not expecting 5 goals given up by Andersen. I’m expecting our defensive effort to give up 5. Imo Andersen gave up one really bad goal (I think it was Krejci late) but the other ones were all huge defensive lapses where he didn’t have much hope.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
People are only focusing on the first line again.

If Boston can stack their top line and make it work, so can the Leafs but Babcock is unwilling to try anything different.

At this point all we’re asking is to not play Komarov more. He’s going to lead the Leafs in ice time tomorrow and it won’t even be because of PK minutes.

Datsyuk played with scrubs in Detroit as well. It resulted in a lot of first round exits for some very good Detroit teams. One cup to show for with 3-4 hall of famers on the team.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
So I understand what Babcock is trying with the Komarov move. Even if the offense does go lower, you've got to try and stop the bleeding against Bergeron's line.

If Komarov can take Marchand off his game even a little, that'll help hopefully.

Need Marleau to step up big time in that role, hopefully Hyman provides a lot of energy to that line.
Yep, totally agree on all counts.
Marleau was totally non-existent and refused to finish any hits.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
For a coach as highly regarded as Babcock, he coaches like he’s afraid of losing rather than trying to win.

I mean, Leo Komarov was a staple on 3v3 OT last season. He really tried to match lines in 3v3 which is barely even hockey. Babcock is a slow learner.
I think you can only call him a slow learner if he eventually learns. so far he hasn't

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
it didn't help that Marchand was throwing his elbows around etc, and Matthews having to basically dance around that dumbo. but in fairness - he wasn't playing like the Matthews we know and expect.
That's why I honestly believe Matthews will have a much better game tomorrow night. We have seen him play a lot better when he didn't look as good in a previous game.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I feel like babs overthinks his decisions. This seems like a panic move to have leo with matthews and willy. I don't see why we can't stick to what works and just play instead of basically revolving our lineup and matchups based on what boston does.

I know bruins are hitting to injure and going crazy and we want to protect our players. But at the same time, you over coach and you've already lost. They have one good line and it will kill you. We have to bank on our other lines scoring. Matthews and nylander have to be stars here. And andersen has to be the biggest star.

Marchands line killed us, but scoring 1 goal is not good enough.

Reactions: dsred

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
People are only focusing on the first line again.
What sucks is you’re basically sacrificing your top two players knowing that you’re aiming for a net zero result against the Bergeron line. I’d much rather see Nylander be a center and have him available on the 2nd line. But the safer option is to go with the vet Marleau at center, and it fits the lineup with Babcock preferring a grinder wing playing along with a playmaker/sniper wing.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I understand the dynamics of why he was placed, but if Komarov is a real "man" like Babcock always mentions he should be able to forecheck and play his game on the second line with Marleau. Why move Hyman from a line that has chemistry and scored the lone goal in the game? Putting Komarov on that line because of what he "has done" or what he was "able to do in the past" is the wrong tactic. But what do I know.

because from what i've understood of it -because of the Komarov/Marchand thing, (and it could, theoretically just allow Matthews + Will to do their thing anyway because from everything that i've read they just ignore Hyman so they can easily just ignore Komarov right?)

i personally don't understand why people get worked up when people get moved around. the lines play roughly the same amount of minutes so why does it matter if Hyman is on a different line or Marner gets moved, or whatever. the more important thing, to me, is that they just all play well, and do their thing. i have my preferences, but not to point where i'd be like "why is Hyman being demoted." he's not. he's being moved to help strengthen another line. that's a good thing.

Reactions: IBeL34f
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad