Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It's also cool to come on these fools on the road at first. They ain't expecting that at all. From behind and taking them with the full force. Then we go home and beat them one two times there. It's always fun and easy to come on the road, not having any pressure at all. If they make mistake, we take advantage and momentum. That's hockey at its best.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Bruins fans have to be the biggest cry babies on this site. Getting offended at some simple Marchand jokes like we despise him or something when it's just fun to poke fun at their best players. Already starting their excuses (not based in reality) of the Refs and league having a conspiracy to get the Leafs a cup and how our defense is the worst in the history of the NHL.

Let's f***ing go I can't wait. Let's slap these pretenders around and humble their fan base who hasn't allowed a single Leaf thread to actually shine a positive light on the team without coming in and saying how Boston is somehow better. If we win (especially if we sweep) I think we might actually put some of their fans into a meltdown.

f*** the Bruins, f*** Bruins fans, and f*** you Freddy.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Wow. Did not expect these responses.

But let me tell you in case you don't know. We didn't have Auston Matthews before last year. Our top line wasn't really in the NHL before last year. Last year as rookies we made the playoffs and managed to push the best regular season team to six games. Kept all games close.

What I'm trying to say is that I see people talking about Bergeron and Marchand and Chara as if they are gods, and our only hope is the 4th line if it weren't for Komarov. That is not the case. They are not gods. Our first line is better than theirs. Our second line is better than theirs. This is not the same team that won the cup.
This team has had as much playoff success in the last three years as we did. Except we are improved greatly.

The Bruins, after winning the cup in 2011:
  • 2012 lost in the first.
  • 2013 came back to form and reached finals (props).
  • 2014 regressed and lost in the second.
  • 2015 regressed more and DNQ.
  • 2016 just as bad and DNQ.
  • 2017 improved and got ousted by the senators in the first.
Would you guys feel much better if I said they didn't deliver in last three of four years, instead of six? Are we that fickle that we miss the point?
This core is not a contender any more.

Never-mind they had a grueling schedule to finish off the season, those five games in hand they had a month ago came back to haunt them so much so that in their last 5 games they managed only one win.
In the grand scheme of things, our top line hasn't achieved anything either. They've played together for less than two full seasons. I'm not diminishing their success so far, it's just that they haven't truly "achieved" anything significant yet in the way of playoff success. That was my point. Not sure why you got so worked up over our responses.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Not me. I used to like WPG until the whole Matthews vs Laine narrative where jets and finnish Laine fans ruined my respect for the team. I think they are very good, but I'd rather see Nashville put them out.

As Leafs fans we have to pull for Nashville. If it can't be the Leafs, I would not mind seeing Subban hoist a cup ... and watching Montreal fans shrivel up into dry husks of regret and longing.

MB would be asked to look back at the Subban/Weber trade of course, and that would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Some have forgotten what an amazing and surprising year it has been for the Bruins, who were expected to be life and death to get in through the wildcard prior to the season. But their kids have played great, and their top line was crazy good, basically the best in the league.

But this bodes well for the playoffs.

You can't count too many one line teams having a lot of playoff success, and although some will argue Boston is more than that . . . if we shut down thateir top line, it's pretty much a win right there. So that will certainly be a key.

But style of play is huge too, and the Bruins don't like ours. If we forecheck, speed them to death, and snipe like we know we can, this can easily be done in 6 games, especially if Freddy is playing well. If the Bruins top line continues to produce, and our defensive depth gets exposed . . . it might be tough.

Leafs in 6.
Matthews series MVP.

Reactions: willmma

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, our top line hasn't achieved anything either. They've played together for less than two full seasons. I'm not diminishing their success so far, it's just that they haven't truly "achieved" anything significant yet in the way of playoff success. That was my point. Not sure why you got so worked up over our responses.

No worries.
Not worked up, just expected more of a discussion than "lol comedy gold".

in any case, go Leafs!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's the same players as in the regular season. We don't need to limit us to playoff games to know that our top line is not as good as the Boston line.
To be fair I think our top line can be better.
The Boston line while formidable is what they are now. Not to take away they are better as you say.
I am confident that we can beat the Bruins but we still have some areas I don't like which could turn the series in favor of the Bruins.
Some of these posts however (and the main boards especially) are to the extreme.
Let's win a playoff round before we declare ourselves ready to destroy all comers.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
DagATDhVMAEzO4k.jpg

hopefully when he gets older that thing on Laine's face will look a lot better.
I'm probably going to watch Kings/Vegas (I think Kings win), and Wild game of course. Bruce is a peach and I am rooting for him to pull off the upset. (nothing against the Jets, I just love Boudreau)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm probably going to watch Kings/Vegas (I think Kings win), and Wild game of course. Bruce is a peach and I am rooting for him to pull off the upset. (nothing against the Jets, I just love Boudreau)
yeah Boudreau is great. if we lose Smith or something I wouldn't mind bringing him to the Leafs org to help out as an assistant coach. I don't see him beating Winnipeg though, they're too good

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He looks like the abominable snowman... so brutally bad lol

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
that shot metric needs improvement; in every period
I agree. Especially against a possession heavy team like the Bruins who have a favourable Corsi to us as well. They get a lot of shots through. We need to front and box out as much as we can so not much gets to Fred. On our end, I am looking for much of the same in terms of high-tips, all point shots should be going through several players with possibilities for deflections. This will keep Boston and Rask on their toes.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not as good YET
:nod:

replace hyman on the top line and Matthews line becomes as good or better than bruins top line.

bruins top line is dangerous because that is a three headed monster - all three can pass, make plays, shoot

Matthews line is a two headed monster willy-auston that's it

Reactions: ToMaLe

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
why? Leafs worry about quality over quantity and it's working fine for us. Shots shouldn't be a concern

In a 7 game series; I'd rather my goalie didn't get ourworked especially if we hope to go deep.

Playing goalie while the puck is in the d-zone and shots are being directed on our net is bound to tire goalies

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Honestly I feel this series is going to be determined by which JVR-Bozak we get. If they put in the work and effort we saw a couple weeks ago, I don't think Boston can match our depth.

Reactions: NiftyMits

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
replace hyman on the top line and Matthews line becomes as good or better than bruins top line.

bruins top line is dangerous because that is a three headed monster - all three can pass, make plays, shoot

Matthews line is a two headed monster willy-auston that's it
Ima not turnin dis to a hyman thread

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gunna be some fast, rough and tumble hockey can't wait to watch
Got my game 1 and 2 tickets at td centre (driving down at 6 am tomorrow)
and got my game 3 and 4 tickets at acc
Behind Bruins net seeing Leafs shoot twice in row 6 (watch me in my matty 34 jersey and tfc hat 6ft 5 285lbs)
To guy who says Rielly is elite it really sounds like ur a massive homer as no one else in hockey that i know think he is any better than a weak number 2
Anyways just look at his skills sets - weakest shot in nhl - no strength on puck with stick - no ability to hit. How can a guy be elite with those skill sets. We all know he is excellent skater in nhl on defence (he is pretty close to Dermott on skating as per Rielly himself but not quite as good). But even then how can you be elite if u r not even the best skater on ur teams defence. That said i love it when rielly is given the puck and then motors up the ice with it. it opens up a 4 man attack and gets game moving faster which we will needs against bruins. i hope he gets better at making distribution decisions once he gains the offensive end as he can carry the mail on the perimeter but everyone lets him be as his shot is pretty bad.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad